Maven B1.2 8x42 vs Razor UHD 8x42

Apap98

FNG
Okay so after originally looking at the Maven B6 and B1.2 in 10x42 I started a thread to get some opinions on how the 10x50 would do hunting in Missouri in lots of woods with ridges as well as some fields and the general consensus was that I would be better off with 8x42 and am swaying my choice to that route. I am still open to 10s but thinking the 8x will be better.

Has anyone compared the B1.2 in 8x42 (or 10x) to the razor uhd in either 8x or 10x?

Honyock

WKR
Here's a pretty good chart on 26 10x42s that compares Alpha all the way down to $500 glass. I'm sure some would argue with the various rankings but it gave me some good information on a lot of different options and how they "compare". In my opinion a lot of "what's best" is personal preference.

OP
Apap98

Apap98

FNG
Here's a pretty good chart on 26 10x42s that compares Alpha all the way down to $500 glass. I'm sure some would argue with the various rankings but it gave me some good information on a lot of different options and how they "compare". In my opinion a lot of "what's best" is personal preference.
Thank you sir I will give that a look!!

I don't have any experience with the Maven B series but I really like my C1 8x42s. I use them a lot in the woods and they work great for that. In fact maybe a little too well, as I find myself lifting them instead of my rifle and it cost me a decent buck a few weeks ago as it was too late before I could switch to the scope.

Hoodie

WKR
The UHD is made by Kamakura. That's the same manufacturer that makes the Maven B series. The Abbe Koenig prism in both models makes me highly suspect there's very little difference in quality between the B2 and UHD, despite the UHD being more expensive.

If you're willing to put up with the weight of the UHD, I'd get the 9x45 B2. It's cheaper, and has a little more magnification while still being easily hand-holdable. Might be the perfect middle ground between 10x50 and 8x42 for you.

If weight matters, go with the B1.2. It's much more compact and light.

For me, the AK prism wasn't worth the increase in size/weight. I think the optics are very comparable.

Matt G.

WKR
I would say the b1.2 are significantly better then the b1 that was tested in the backwoods review article.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

JGRaider

WKR
We had the Razor HD and Razor UHD, both 10x42's, side by side on tripods while mule deer hunting a few days ago. To my 61 year old eyes, the optical difference was marginal at best, and the UHD is way too bulky. It's definitely not a $1400 bino, and the Razor isn't a $1000 glass either, IMO.

OP
Apap98

Apap98

FNG
The UHD is made by Kamakura. That's the same manufacturer that makes the Maven B series. The Abbe Koenig prism in both models makes me highly suspect there's very little difference in quality between the B2 and UHD, despite the UHD being more expensive.

If you're willing to put up with the weight of the UHD, I'd get the 9x45 B2. It's cheaper, and has a little more magnification while still being easily hand-holdable. Might be the perfect middle ground between 10x50 and 8x42 for you.

If weight matters, go with the B1.2. It's much more compact and light.

For me, the AK prism wasn't worth the increase in size/weight. I think the optics are very comparable.
That seems to be the general consensus from what I’ve read on them!

OP
Apap98

Apap98

FNG
We had the Razor HD and Razor UHD, both 10x42's, side by side on tripods while mule deer hunting a few days ago. To my 61 year old eyes, the optical difference was marginal at best, and the UHD is way too bulky. It's definitely not a $1400 bino, and the Razor isn't a $1000 glass either, IMO.
I was able to look through both of those at Basspro the other day so not a lot of time to test either of them but was really put off by the bulk of the uhd 10x42 for sure!

Thank you guys for the replies! Much appreciated!

Reinhb06

FNG
I would say the b1.2 are significantly better then the b1 that was tested in the backwoods review article.

I currently have the b1. Unfortunately bought them just prior to the release of the updated version. Is this just off review or any experience yourself looking through. I may be chasing just a 1-2% difference but I am so tempted to but the B1.2s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Matt G.

WKR
I was really impressed by the b1.2 . I had the meopta meostars which I loved. I felt the images popped more, brightness was slightly better, FOV was wider and weight was less. Never used the b1, but the research I did pointed that the b1.2 was a significant upgrade. I also took advantage to everyone upgrading to the NL and got a good deal on the ELs. I would say buy off Amazon or use the trial program and if you don't like just send back.

Reinhb06

FNG
Not that the b1 are super heavy but I think the b1.2 being more compact and less weight is a bigger sell for me as well. Thanks for the input

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk