Maven B1 vs B1.2

mbro

FNG
Does anyone know the difference between the B1 and B1.2 in 10x42? I found someone that I’m about to make a trade with but I’m new to the Maven brand. It looks like the B1 is just older than the B1.2 and a little bigger. I can’t find anything about the glass quality.

I’m potentially trading a Gen 1 vortex razor spotting scope 20-60x85 for the Maven B1 10x42 binos. Is this a good trade?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nobody

WKR
Supposedly, the B1.2 is an upgrade optically over the B1. What made maven famous was their awesome B2 line and the C series of entry level binoculars. Each of those, because of Maven's cost structure (direct to consumer) compares nicely with binoculars that cost between 50 and 100% more. This is Maven's goal across all their lines.

HOWEVER, the one that is most often known to have lackluster performance is the original B1. It's the main one you hear people talking about that doesn't meet expectations. They're not bad, but they don't punch above their price point like everything else Maven builds. If you have $1000 binos already, you won't be upgrading. If you are running more entry level optics, you'll end up with an upgrade. But for the same money, you'd be much happier with the B2's.

Supposedly, the new B1.2's fix this disappointing performance supposedly, but I haven't seen much on them since they came out. Whenever we talk high dollar Maven, it's still the B2 that dominates conversations.

EDIT: In response to your question if it's a worthwhile trade, I would say you'd be getting the short end of the stick, especially if you already have a decent pair of binos. I wouldn't entertain the trade if it was me, but I'm just some random guy on the internet.

OP
mbro

mbro

FNG
Thanks for the input thanks for the input! I think I’ll end up passing on the trade. I have diamondback HD 10x50, and I just bought razor uhd 18x56. I really don’t have a use for the spotting scope anymore. I just wanted some nicer glass on my chest. I think I’ll just keep waiting and save up.

sndmn11

WKR
I will be the opposite opinion of @nobody. I have gone through all of the Maven B series prior to this year, and the B1 was such an easy view. My wife and I ended up each with a pair, and a new pair of Swarovski SLC. When the B1.2 came out I ordered us each a set, and we are now running around with 8x B1.2 and 8x B1, I am using the latter and we no longer have the Swarovski. I think the B1 is outstanding, and the B1.2 is equally outstanding, but physically smaller with a bigger FOV.

I would trade all day long and try to get $200 cash from him. I would value the B1s at $600 and the spotter at $800.

OP
mbro

mbro

FNG
Thanks for the info! I’m torn I want to try out the mavens, I currently have vortex diamondback 10x50. I’m thinking I might just wait til the spotter sells then get the B1.2. I was wanting 8x42 more anyway.

The spotter is listed for $700 tyd in case anyone stumbles across this and is interested

I have the Maven 11x45 B2’s and absolutely love them! I had the Viper 10X42 HD’s prior and hands down the Mavens to me are far superior