Maven B2 9 or 11x45 - Substitute for 8/10x42 and 15x56 Combo

NJMS

FNG
Hi All

First post here. Some great reading and I've been trawling through what I can.

Currently I run 8 or 10x42mm primary bino's. And if hunting deer in large catchments and valleys I'll take my 15x56mm SLC's. (I'm an Aussie)

I'm looking to lighten up my load for backpack hunts. But really enjoy the punch the 15's give me off a tripod.

Have been reading what I can on the Maven B2's. Something about AK prisms has me curious and the low light ability.

The decision is 9 power vs 11 power. I've never had issues holding 10x steady enough. But gauging a trophy a nice rest is often required.

For a stalking and tripod bino I'm a little torn on the 9 vs 11 thing. Often our country goes from timbered glassing at only say 100m. Then out to 1km across a large valley with cliff faces etc.

Last week I was struggling to see the antlers clearly on a Sambar Deer at 500m with my 8x42 Tract Torics. The animal was moving slowly through timber with the cresting sun all but on the ridge above it. Was certainly pushing the Tracts and I'm not complaining about them. Just makes me wonder if they were only a step up in magnification to 9x would the details available be improved. Or if I was able to get a rest with 11's would that be better. Unfortunately I didn't have time with the animal location to get my pack off and 15's / tripod out.

BigMuleyHunter

Lil-Rokslider
In my opinion if you use a tripod half of the time or more I would go 11x. If you will use a tripod less than half of the time spent glassing I would grab the 9x.

I have no experience with the 11s but my 9s are fantastic glass and I couldn’t be happier. I used 8s for the longest time and switched to 10s for a bit before jumping to the mavens. I think the 11s would have been a little much for my usage, 9s are just perfect.