Maven B2/B6 vs Kowa Genesis

Peaks&Creeks

Lil-Rokslider
So at this point I’ve read and researched as much as I could on these binos. There just isn’t much info on the Genesis 10.5x44, but from the little I read, they get great accolades, and biggest down side is that there’s no place to add a tripod stud. Just wanting to see if anyone has had experience comparing these binos or any other feedback that would help make this decision easier.

For reference, I currently use Vortex Vipers 10x42 and a Kowa 553 spotting scope, and I know just from that little spotter that the Kowa glass is awesome, but also hearing great things about the Maven B2 and B6 glass and would be happy to support a small US company.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TexaninSconny

Lil-Rokslider

Alternative for outdoorsman stud I hear some guys like.

I have the B2 9x45s. Good glass, but heavy with the Abbe Koenig design. Haven’t looked through Kowa’s, but I typically hear they may be a touch better than the Maven glass. But different eyes have different opinions…just the general consensus I’ve read in the past year.

Maven has a 20% discount for vets/military/(maybe LEO…not sure on that). They also have the demo program. For a $1000+ investment I’d buy Kowa’s from a store that has a return policy and demo a set of Maven binos you prefer. Check both of them out in various stages of the day and see what’s best apples to apples through your eyes.

no experience with Maven, but i have the Kowas.... excellent binos, really good glass.... surprisingly good for the money. i plan on replacing them next year to NL pures.

in the last 1.5yrs i have had SLC's, then Vortex UHD, now the Kowa. i like the Kowa much more than the UHD, and i think they edge out the SLC optically, but the SLC was my clear favorite of the 3.

the downside to the kowa is no tripod adapter obviously... not a huge deal, but it makes me carry another thing to use on a tripod, which is often.

they are big and heavy, they are a big, bulky, heavy bino, but that's a fair tradeoff when considering the quality and cost.

i hate the diopter adjustment, i constantly unlock it when taking my binos out, which has me having to adjust them more than any other bino i have used..

overall, stellar glass for the money, i can't imagine anything being better in that price range, they are super nice glass.

OP
Peaks&Creeks

Peaks&Creeks

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks everyone and Roosiebull for the thorough reply. I’m not too worried about the weight if they are optically great, but I could see the diopter issue and not being able to put a tripod stud on them getting kinda annoying.

Then again, maybe just saving a little more for those NL Pures is the ticket

just had to use Kowa warranty and they were awesome. in cold temps the hinge would stay in place when adjusting to my eye width. It kept swinging when mounted to tripod. My guess was the hinge need to be tightened. I sent them in and they told me it would be $95 to fix. I proceeded to tell them they were new and this was something I didn't cause. They didn't even ask for my receipt or warranty card and said we will fix for free, clean the glass and purge the re-install the gas inside.

Can ask for anything better than that.

Xlr8n

Lil-Rokslider
Currently looking for a pair of the B2s. I can’t decide between the 9x and 11x..
From a field of view perspective, 9's. From a hand-held perspective, 9's. Primarily out west on a tripod, 11's.

Elkohalic

FNG
From a field of view perspective, 9's. From a hand-held perspective, 9's. Primarily out west on a tripod, 11's.
I live in Idaho and most of the time I don't have the tripod along on my excursions. If I thought it would be worth taking I could take it with the 11x . I spend most of my time bowhunting and then horn hunting in the early summer. I'm leaning heavily toward the 9X with what you have stated and the focus being better.

Xlr8n

Lil-Rokslider
I live in Idaho and most of the time I don't have the tripod along on my excursions. If I thought it would be worth taking I could take it with the 11x . I spend most of my time bowhunting and then horn hunting in the early summer. I'm leaning heavily toward the 9X with what you have stated and the focus being better.
Personally I'd never want to hand-hold anything over a 10x. Many guys do hand glass with 12's, but personally I enjoy viewing through lower power glass. 8x's are my usual go-to and I have 6x's for wooded tree stand hunts. I have 10x's for scouting trips.

Blue72

WKR
If your handholding, you definitely want 7x. the stillness of the image will give you more detail and you can handhold them way longer

Here is basically the same discussion from back in May.

Both the Mavens and Kowas are quality binoculars. The great news is today there are also a good number of other high quality optics in the $900-1250 price range that most hunters will be more than satisfied with. But some folks appear to be searching for a true alpha class binocular at that price - which doesn’t really exist. While a few models will have a particular optical quality or feature that rivals a true alpha, glasses like the NL Pure and Victory SF are a smidge better in most features. Which collectively adds up to a noticeably better overall binocular. Haven’t met many hunters in the field who felt they spent too much on quality optics, but met a number on distant mountains who really wished they had.