Maven B2 or B6

Steve C

Lil-Rokslider
I never owned an Epoch. Looked at them several times. I passed for several reasons. One is for being over ten years old they were stupid expensive for their time. They were several hundred dollars more than even Leica, Zeiss, or Swarovski. They had a pretty good image, but not that good. They also had pretty narrow fields of view for what they were asking. No real complaints with the optics, but not letting go of that kind of cash. The first Epochs were around $2,400. They also had silver coated prisms instead of dielectric reflective coatings of today, so the technology is now sort of stale. They did have a pretty unique focuser. It was a variable speed affair where focus movement was identical for any spot in the focus range. In other words instead of being a lot slower close and faster further out, the wheel movement per amount of focus distance remained constant. I am told it was a warranty nightmare. The later Icon had more modern technology, but still had the too narrow fov.

Not sure what OP decided on, but I just had the chance to compare the B.6s and B.2s in a limited capacity at the Denver Sportsman's Expo.

I walked away after placing an order on the B.2s in 9x45. Edge to edge clarity was much improved and colors and details seemed to pop. For example (I know this is not the best optics test, but bear with me), I was looking at various labeled pipes in the rafters and I could make out the lettering much easier with the B.2s than the B.6s. I'm not going to call the B.6s bad by any stretch of the imagination, but I do have narrower set eyes and felt like I really needed to bottom out the adjustment for IPD. Colors seemed "white washed" for lack of a better term (like looking at a TV with the brightness set too high).

This is going to sound really dumb, but I was getting better detail out of the lower powered optic.

I can't wait to get my B.2s in and really get some time behind them. Huge upgrade over my C1's (10x42) I am using currently.

matt77

FNG
Not sure what OP decided on, but I just had the chance to compare the B.6s and B.2s in a limited capacity at the Denver Sportsman's Expo.

I walked away after placing an order on the B.2s in 9x45. Edge to edge clarity was much improved and colors and details seemed to pop. For example (I know this is not the best optics test, but bear with me), I was looking at various labeled pipes in the rafters and I could make out the lettering much easier with the B.2s than the B.6s. I'm not going to call the B.6s bad by any stretch of the imagination, but I do have narrower set eyes and felt like I really needed to bottom out the adjustment for IPD. Colors seemed "white washed" for lack of a better term (like looking at a TV with the brightness set too high).

This is going to sound really dumb, but I was getting better detail out of the lower powered optic.

I can't wait to get my B.2s in and really get some time behind them. Huge upgrade over my C1's (10x42) I am using currently.
any deals on Mavens at the Expo?

any deals on Mavens at the Expo?

25% off demo optics and 10% off other optic orders. Not sure if its a show special or the guy at the booth having mercy on me after seeing my wife's expression when I decided on a new optics purchase, but I got 15% since I also bought a rangefinder.

If I wasn't a prissy bitch and could get over the grey-orange paint scheme I could of had a demo B.2 in 9x45 for stupid cheap.

Hoodie

WKR

I've had both and came away slightly preferring the B6, but I totally agree with your assessment on the color saturation. The 9x and 11x B2 both have better color saturation than the B6 (or the B1.2).

I didn't notice a difference in edge sharpness between the two. What sealed the deal for me was ergonomics. There's only a three ounce difference between the two, but the B6 handles like a dream to me. It feels more like a 42mm bino than a 50mm. I think it's noticeably easier to use with one hand. My unit's focus is a little looser too compared to the B2, which is a personal preference.

Both are sweet binoculars for the money.

I've had both and came away slightly preferring the B6, but I totally agree with your assessment on the color saturation. The 9x and 11x B2 both have better color saturation than the B6 (or the B1.2).

I didn't notice a difference in edge sharpness between the two. What sealed the deal for me was ergonomics. There's only a three ounce difference between the two, but the B6 handles like a dream to me. It feels more like a 42mm bino than a 50mm. I think it's noticeably easier to use with one hand. My unit's focus is a little looser too compared to the B2, which is a personal preference.

Both are sweet binoculars for the money.

The B.6 is a great set of binos. If my face was more normally shaped (IPD), I would have probably walked away with a pair. To get a 10x50 into the size of a 10x42 you have to do some gymnastics with geometry and I think that's why the the IPD limitation is what it is. They handle and balance extremely well for me, because they are basically a 10x42 in terms of size.

I was really impressed with the entire lineup. The B1.2s feel tiny for a 10x42 and if you have a normalish head, the B.6s give you extra low light performance for free (from a size/weight perspective).

I think here's the decision matrix if you're looking at the Maven B series and for a 10ish power:
-If your eyes like AK prisms and you're OK with some heft, you can't go wrong with the B.2. You will pay for it in weight (like with any AK prism binos). The 9x zoom is basically a 10x zoom for my eyes since I feel like I can pick up the same level of detail if not more. That said, if you're on the shaky side (like I am) these are about as stable as a 10x due to the heft.
-If you value weight and are packing in a long ways, go with the B1.2. I will probably end up with a pair of these eventually. In the bright lights of a convention center, these performed just about as well as the B.6s to my eye. That said, in theory, the B.6s should shine (see what I did there?) in low light.
-If you can stand a little more weight, but want the improved low light performance of a 50mm objective, the B.6 is your choice. This assumes your IPD is say 60mm or more. I think on the very ragged edge of 58mm (what the spec says) you might be outside the sweet spot. The only way to really tell is to demo these (which Maven hasn't been able to do yet, likely due to the popularity of these binos).

OP
S

socalmrr

FNG
thanks everyone for the info, I think the 10 power is to much for me
I've be hunting with them and I shake to much and I'm get eye strain
I may even look at 7 or 8 power, the C3 10x50 may be up for sale
going to try the 9x45 first before going to lower power ,thank again

DrewskiMT

FNG
thanks everyone for the info, I think the 10 power is to much for me
I've be hunting with them and I shake to much and I'm get eye strain
I may even look at 7 or 8 power, the C3 10x50 may be up for sale
going to try the 9x45 first before going to lower power ,thank again
hard to beat 8x for huffin and puffin in the field. bracing on the truck window frame i can run 10x, but not on foot... those 7x45 B2s have got to be some low light monsters too though...

The B.6 is a great set of binos. If my face was more normally shaped (IPD), I would have probably walked away with a pair. To get a 10x50 into the size of a 10x42 you have to do some gymnastics with geometry and I think that's why the the IPD limitation is what it is. They handle and balance extremely well for me, because they are basically a 10x42 in terms of size.

I was really impressed with the entire lineup. The B1.2s feel tiny for a 10x42 and if you have a normalish head, the B.6s give you extra low light performance for free (from a size/weight perspective).

I think here's the decision matrix if you're looking at the Maven B series and for a 10ish power:
-If your eyes like AK prisms and you're OK with some heft, you can't go wrong with the B.2. You will pay for it in weight (like with any AK prism binos). The 9x zoom is basically a 10x zoom for my eyes since I feel like I can pick up the same level of detail if not more. That said, if you're on the shaky side (like I am) these are about as stable as a 10x due to the heft.
-If you value weight and are packing in a long ways, go with the B1.2. I will probably end up with a pair of these eventually. In the bright lights of a convention center, these performed just about as well as the B.6s to my eye. That said, in theory, the B.6s should shine (see what I did there?) in low light.
-If you can stand a little more weight, but want the improved low light performance of a 50mm objective, the B.6 is your choice. This assumes your IPD is say 60mm or more. I think on the very ragged edge of 58mm (what the spec says) you might be outside the sweet spot. The only way to really tell is to demo these (which Maven hasn't been able to do yet, likely due to the popularity of these binos).
Do you know what your ipd is approx by chance? Mine is abit narrow too and am also looking between these

Do you know what your ipd is approx by chance? Mine is abit narrow too and am also looking between these

I don't know off hand (I should ask my eye doc!), but when I demoed the B.6s, I had to bottom them out.

One thing to check is that I would look up the IPD specs on your current binos and see how far in the range you have them adjusted.

Also, a quick update... I am in love with my B.2s. At last light a few nights ago, I was making out antler points at nearly a mile out. I thought the 9x zoom would be a hinderance, but the quality I get in the image means I can pick out a ton of detail.

Interested if anyone has updated thoughts/opinions on the optic and low light comparison between the B2 9x45 and the B6 10x50.
Also from my understanding optically the B6 should be very near identical to a top shelf (quality control/build) Japanese (not Chinese) Vortex razor HD & the B2 to the Vortex razor UHD. Correct? Thoughts or insight much appreciated.

Own(ed) both the B2 9x45 and the B6 10x50. This is not an easy comparison as the designs are very different. I liked the 9x45 optics but never felt the B2 really got the most out of its AK prism design - very good, but never really a “wow.” Also, the B2 is a physically big binocular - I would often think twice about bringing it if a lot of walking was involved. Personally feel the B6 is the “cherry“ of the current Maven lineup. To me the optics are a smidge better than the B2 and they handle like a much smaller glass. As far as twilight performance - even though they have the same size exit pupil I seem to get more from the B6. Although I wouldn’t expect that I’d miss any animals if using the B2.

Now there is a handicap with the B6 that is rarely discussed. The B6 is the smallest, lightest, very high performing 50mm binocular that I know of - it handles more like a 42mm. However, its compact design puts the barrels very close together. This makes using a tripod stud somewhat challenging. It certainly can be done, but the space is extremely tight.

Last edited:
Own(ed) both the B2 9x45 and the B6 10x50. This is not an easy comparison as the designs are very different. I liked the 9x45 optics but never felt the B2 really got the most out of its AK prism design - very good, but never really a “wow.” Also, the B2 is a physically big binocular - I would often think twice about bringing it if a lot of walking was involved. Personally feel the B5 is the “cherry“ of the current Maven lineup. To me the optics are a smidge better than the B2 and they handle like a much smaller glass. As far as twilight performance - even though they have the same size exit pupil I seem to get more from the B6. Although I wouldn’t expect that I’d miss any animals if using the B2.

Now there is a handicap with the B6 that is rarely discussed. The B6 is the smallest, lightest, very high performing 50mm binocular that I know of - it handles more like a 42mm. However, its compact design puts the barrels very close together. This makes using a tripod stud somewhat challenging. It certainly can be done, but the space is extremely tight.

Own(ed) both the B2 9x45 and the B6 10x50. This is not an easy comparison as the designs are very different. I liked the 9x45 optics but never felt the B2 really got the most out of its AK prism design - very good, but never really a “wow.” Also, the B2 is a physically big binocular - I would often think twice about bringing it if a lot of walking was involved. Personally feel the B5 is the “cherry“ of the current Maven lineup. To me the optics are a smidge better than the B2 and they handle like a much smaller glass. As far as twilight performance - even though they have the same size exit pupil I seem to get more from the B6. Although I wouldn’t expect that I’d miss any animals if using the B2.

So it sounds like color, clarity, sharpness you would give to the b6?
I currently am trying out a pair of b2's and to me the colors pop (color saturation) very nicely, I am interested how the b6's stack in this department.. Probably going to have to get my hands on a pair

Last edited:

rideold

WKR
Decide how important size and carry ability are. That'll make your decision. The b.6 is a gem for chest pack carrying. Then check your pupil distance.....the 58mm minimum of the b.6 can be a challenge for some.

As for tripod use I have no problem using the b.6 with an Outdoorsman's adapter even at minimum IPD adjustment.