Maven B2 or Kowa Genesis Binoculars?

bird35

FNG
I am looking into the Maven B2 11x45 and also the Kowa Genesis 10.5x44. Camera land has the genesis on a good sale through Monday. I haven't been able to find much info as far as a comparision. I know they are both good binoculars just wondering if anyone else has any hands on experience with them. Thanks

TexaninSconny

Lil-Rokslider
@Jalenweyker has the B2 11x45s

I just received the 9x45s and really like them, but haven’t been able to sit and contrast them with some similar grade glass yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chasewild

WKR
Following.

A good friend has the Maven's. They are noticeably better than my Japan Vortex Razor 10x42's.

Kowa Genesis I bet is nice.

Schaaf

WKR
I've owned both. I now have the Genesis and I don't foresee myself changing. I think it more comes down to how much you value a center post for tripods vs a bino hand from outdoorsmans. The maven has better edge to edge if you like a flat field but the Kowa has some amazing center resolution with a real nice image. I also value a company manufacturing the bino vs what you get from Maven and Sig being the same but rebranded bino. If there's any particular questions you have on the binos let me know.

OP
bird35

bird35

FNG
I've owned both. I now have the Genesis and I don't foresee myself changing. I think it more comes down to how much you value a center post for tripods vs a bino hand from outdoorsmans. The maven has better edge to edge if you like a flat field but the Kowa has some amazing center resolution with a real nice image. I also value a company manufacturing the bino vs what you get from Maven and Sig being the same but rebranded bino. If there's any particular questions you have on the binos let me know.
Thank you for the response. When you held them was one more comfortable or fit you better? They are both on the heavy side but that doesn't bother me. Was there much of a difference between them in low light conditions?

Schaaf

WKR
Thank you for the response. When you held them was one more comfortable or fit you better? They are both on the heavy side but that doesn't bother me. Was there much of a difference between them in low light conditions?
The 9x45 are brighter than the 10.5x44 obviously but both are more than bright enough. The Mavens seem physically bigger, the Kowa’s are denser. I thought they both fit and balanced well in the hand.

OP
bird35

bird35

FNG
The 9x45 are brighter than the 10.5x44 obviously but both are more than bright enough. The Mavens seem physically bigger, the Kowa’s are denser. I thought they both fit and balanced well in the hand.
Normally the Kowa run a couple hundred dollars more but right now I can get a demo set from camera land for a couple hundred less than the maven. I have never really heard anything bad about the b2 or the genesis besides they are heavy, which really isn't a negative for me. I have other binos if I want to go light weight. My only concern is that I had a pair of kowa bd ii that didn't fit my face very well. But the genesis are bigger so I think they will fit better.

JakeSCH

WKR
bite the bullet, demo the maven's and buy the kowa and test them out side by side. I'm sure you can recover most of your money on the kowa if you liked the maven's better.

TexaninSconny

Lil-Rokslider
Normally the Kowa run a couple hundred dollars more but right now I can get a demo set from camera land for a couple hundred less than the maven. I have never really heard anything bad about the b2 or the genesis besides they are heavy, which really isn't a negative for me. I have other binos if I want to go light weight. My only concern is that I had a pair of kowa bd ii that didn't fit my face very well. But the genesis are bigger so I think they will fit better.

If it’s a great price grab the Kowa’s and get some demos from Maven. Can return the Maven binos if needed or can most likely resell for at least your cost on Kowa’s if it’s a great deal.

TexaninSconny

Lil-Rokslider
bite the bullet, demo the maven's and buy the kowa and test them out side by side. I'm sure you can recover most of your money on the kowa if you liked the maven's better.

Haha...#greatminds

OP
bird35

bird35

FNG
Haha...#greatminds

If it’s a great price grab the Kowa’s and get some demos from Maven. Can return the Maven binos if needed or can most likely resell for at least your cost on Kowa’s if it’s a great deal.

Haha...#greatminds

I may have to buy the kowa. I already have Sig Zulu 9 11x45 and I know they are very close to the Maven so I could just compare them. If I buy the kowa.

I have not used the Maven, but did just recently buy the Genesis 10.5x44 binos and they are alpha glass for sure. I used a pair of Swaro EL 10s on last years hunts and I’ll say these Kowas do not give up much. No they are not as good as ELs, but I do think they compare well to SLCs.

my buddy has a pair of SLCs so we are going to do a side by side comparison with my Genesis and his SLCs.

I have not used the Maven, but did just recently buy the Genesis 10.5x44 binos and they are alpha glass for sure. I used a pair of Swaro EL 10s on last years hunts and I’ll say these Kowas do not give up much. No they are not as good as ELs, but I do think they compare well to SLCs.

my buddy has a pair of SLCs so we are going to do a side by side comparison with my Genesis and his SLCs.

I have three buddies with Swaros that they all bought on name and reputation. Two have 10X42 SLCs and they all freely admit that the Genny 10.5X44s are better optics. The third has ELs and while it kills him to say it, he begrudgingly admits that they have nothing on the Kowas.
A small sampling, I know, but that's the consensus of our group

I think its worth noting that the Kowa cannot take an outdoorsman stud adapter. That would be a deal breaker for me. I've got the B2s and have zero regrets. To my eyes they beat out SLCs and are very competitive with ELs.
Really not an issue at all. I use an RRS Cinch-LR BA. I actually like it better than any of the studs. It slides in and out of the bino harness effortlessly without snagging.

OP
bird35

bird35

FNG
So i ended up getting the Maven b2 9x45 and a pair of the Kowa genesis 8x33. I am really impressed with both of them. They are to me two completely different binoculars so a comparison was difficult. I ended up comparing the Kowas to a set of 8x42 slc that i have and i thought they were very evenly matched, obviously they still have a difference with the objective size. I do think the slc had a little better depth of field but not by much. Another difference was that the focus wheel on the Kowa to me is much better, it is a lot smoother and the wheel its self has better grip. My slc focus wheel is gritty with inconsistent resistance. For the price difference i am very happy with the Kowas. Something i thought was interensing is that 8x33 genesis are threaded and will work with an outdoorsmans stud adapter and the 10.5 genesis are not, to me it should be the other way around. As far as the Maven b2 they are also a great pair of binoculars. They are excellent in low light, the build quality is great. I do wish the eye cups locked into position with a bit more resistance but its not a big deal. I really like the aluminum focus wheel. It seems to have a really fine focus. The image is sharp and i do not notice much if any CA.

Really not an issue at all. I use an RRS Cinch-LR BA. I actually like it better than any of the studs. It slides in and out of the bino harness effortlessly without snagging.
Yes this is the same option I’m going to use. @CApighunter i actually heard on a recent podcast the host say he moved to the RRS-Cinch-LR BA over the stud option for all his Swaro optics he liked it so much. One mount for any size Bino since it’s a cinch.