Maven B3 vs?

sturner88

FNG
So, I have decided to buy a pair of binoculars for the upcoming hunting season. Typically, I won't need to glass farther than 300-400 yards and for the most part will be just needing to ID specific bucks that we have seen on camera. I'm currently demoing a pair of Maven c1 10x42's and B3 8x30's. To my untrained eye, it seems the b3's are better in every category. I have Swarovski and higher end Leupold scopes so I'm fairly familiar with good glass, however when it comes to binoculars, I'm out of the loop.

For the additional $150, I think the 8x30's are the clear choice over the c1 10x42's. Is there anything around the price of Maven B3's that I should look at before purchasing or would anything else be very comparable.

B3’s are awesome glass. I’ve compared mine to a few other compacts. I felt like the Zeiss conquest 8x32s were a slight touch better, but a lot heavier and more expensive. They beat the pants off a pair of older swaro 8x32 slcs. The only thing they don’t do perfectly is handle glare glassing into the sun.

OP
S

sturner88

FNG
Thanks I’ll probably just keep the Demo b3’s unless I can find a coupon code

Tahoe1305

WKR
I’d compare to Nikon HG 8x30s. But I have some B3s and agree they are awesome and good value.

OP
S

sturner88

FNG
Would you say the HG’s are just comparable? If so, I think it would maybe make sense to just keep what I’m demo’ing. If there is something in that class/category that is heads and shoulders better, I’d definitely look at them. If they’re just the same, might as well keep the mavens

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tahoe1305

WKR
I haven’t compared the 8x but I had the 10x and they were my favorite compared to 10 other sets I was comparing to. I didn’t like the non transferable warranty though. They are a few hundred more than the mavens though and I have been happy with my mavens.

If you are happy with your mavens I wouldn’t let them go. I don’t think it’s worth the lesser warranty and extra $$.

I was just offering up a pair of 8x that would be comparable.

OP
S

sturner88

FNG
I haven’t compared the 8x but I had the 10x and they were my favorite compared to 10 other sets I was comparing to. I didn’t like the non transferable warranty though. They are a few hundred more than the mavens though and I have been happy with my mavens.

If you are happy with your mavens I wouldn’t let them go. I don’t think it’s worth the lesser warranty and extra $$.

I was just offering up a pair of 8x that would be comparable.

Awesome, thanks. I really appreciate your input.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

grizz19

Lil-Rokslider
I have a pair the maven B1’s and absolutely love them. Seem to do well early and late light conditions. I have compared them to a pair of Leupold bx5’s that my brother in law has As well as a pair of vortex razors 10x42’s my hunting partner has and to my eye my mavens are the best of 3.

corncob

WKR
I recently bought a pair of BX4 8x32 on sale, and ended up returning them when I found a set of B3 8x30s. They ended up being close-ish in price (got the B3s used), but I would have paid an extra 100-200 for the B3s after looking through they both. Definitely a wider FOV for the B3s (zero tunnel vision effect) and even though they have a slightly smaller objective I think they do better in low light. You can tell a difference in build quality, too - the B3s just feel much better in hand.

I realize that's a pretty subjective comparison, but after looking through them both a few times I didn't waste a lot of time noting down quantitative comparisons. I guess the differences were that much, at least in my opinion.

sndmn11

WKR
I recently bought a pair of BX4 8x32 on sale, and ended up returning them when I found a set of B3 8x30s. They ended up being close-ish in price (got the B3s used), but I would have paid an extra 100-200 for the B3s after looking through they both. Definitely a wider FOV for the B3s (zero tunnel vision effect) and even though they have a slightly smaller objective I think they do better in low light. You can tell a difference in build quality, too - the B3s just feel much better in hand.

It wouldn't surprise me one bit if they were made in the same factory.

corncob

WKR
Yeah, possibly. I've heard that both the Maven and Kite Lynx are built by Kamakura in Japan. I don't know about the BX4s.

I do strongly prefer the eyecups, focus wheel, and diopter adjustment of the B3s, both functionality and form.

I returned the BX4s that were 8x32 also. My Cabela Guide 8x32 were noticeably brighter.

My money now is on Maven first, Leupold VERY close second. Either one is choice--