Maven B4 15x56 binocular SEMI-LIVE review! with Jordan Budd

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Getting a chance to test out the Maven 15's this spring! So far I've taken them to Tiburon Island sheep hunting and used them here in Wyoming looking for bears and checking out elk and deer on the wintering grounds. I have been very impressed with the glass as well. Pretty clear edge to edge and gathers low light well.

So far my only complaint is the package that they come in. Compared to some other 15 powers I have been around, the body is a little larger and heavier than some other brands. But depending on your goals, that isn't really a deal breaker.

Below are some photos I've taken so far. Please let me know if there is anything in particular you'd like me to compare or look into further on these! You can be looking for the full review late June.

Jordan

OP
Jordan Budd

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
d9810b5f7c975284ccb2e6cdd9e52900.jpg
170220f3a0fed3d55e802687c58af0ad.jpg
5f7414f911c6ea874f35f93f9de19eb0.jpg
42ad7809859a3b153057c07433c9ecad.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Looking forward to this one Jordan. Just so everyone knows, Ryan was supposed to send those 15's to me. But I'm not as cute is Jordan. So I'll be testing vicariously through this thread

FlyGuy

WKR
This may not be a question related specifically to that brand/model, but after using them for a while I'd like to here your thoughts on using them over a small spotter.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

OP
Jordan Budd

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
This may not be a question related specifically to that brand/model, but after using them for a while I'd like to here your thoughts on using them over a small spotter.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Are you talking like a 15x eye piece or like a 20x but smaller overall size.. like a 60-65mm?

So far my thoughts for 15x binos in general are if your not needing to get a precise score on an animal, I would lean towards going this route. Unless your looking miles away you'll be able to tell roughly what your looking at, and probably determine if it's worth going after or not.

They're easier to glass with than a spotter IMO if your on a tripod. I would lean towards leaving a spotter at home with elk hunting, at least archery, and taking the 15s because unless your after a specific class of bull you can tell it's a bull from a long ways. Mule deer though, I'm going to bring both while scouting next month and see which I'd prefer.

Sorry I don't have a more straight forward answer for you right now. But I think if your just looking for an elk or a deer, and not concerned about what he'll measure to, the 15s will be a little less and more compact as well.

WKR
Currently making this same decision between the 15's and a spotter.

I've read way too much on this topic and it comes down to a relatively simple rule of thumb, which I did not come up with but don't remember who did.

"15's are best for looking FOR animals, a spotter is best for looking AT an animal once found"

This simple idea has all but confirmed that I'm going for 15's for my WY hunting.

OP
Jordan Budd

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Currently making this same decision between the 15's and a spotter.

I've read way too much on this topic and it comes down to a relatively simple rule of thumb, which I did not come up with but don't remember who did.

"15's are best for looking FOR animals, a spotter is best for looking AT an animal once found"

This simple idea has all but confirmed that I'm going for 15's for my WY hunting.

I like it. Thanks for the .02, that's a great way to explain it. Maybe another angle to go at it is 10s vs 15s.

What do you think of the eyecups on the maven 15x? I thought they were ridiculously bulky and not comfortable to look through at all. Which is a shame because the glass seemed top notch. Maybe I just have a wierd face because I feel the Kaibabs are the same way.

OP
Jordan Budd

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
What do you think of the eyecups on the maven 15x? I thought they were ridiculously bulky and not comfortable to look through at all. Which is a shame because the glass seemed top notch. Maybe I just have a wierd face because I feel the Kaibabs are the same way.

I think the exact same thing, especially coming from the Swaro eye cups. To me though I can get comfortable with them, I just need a few more seconds to get adjusted. I tried the vortex for a short amount of time and thought the same... however I didn't like the vortex glass at all so I ditched them.

If these are just going to be an addition to 10s and a spotter, or if your not glassing a ton like a guide/western hunter or do a couple trips a year, I think the eye cups can be a manageable compromise for the price difference though. Really relying on the 15s though, I'd go to one of the big 3, and whichever eye cups are most comfy. For me that's the Swarovskis. The glass quality is definitely there.

WKR

Hatchet, you were spot on. I'm gutted. Thought the Maven B4's were "in the bag" but the eyecups and my stupid face just don't get along. I can either see through them, OR have them fit my face comfortably. Amazing glass, but "if the glass don't fit, you must quit (trying to buy them)". Ugh, I hate the idea of paying retail (brick and mortar markup) or buying used and Maven's business model fits nicely around those two hurdles. I will look at the B2 11x45 but am concerned about low light performance. Love my B1's and really like the B2's and they fit like a glove.

OP
Jordan Budd

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jordan, any updates on the big Maven binos?

I just did a video review on these this weekend. Will get that uploaded as soon as I can, hopefully later this evening or in the morning. Also working on the written review this week to be posted at some point next month.

The short version of my thoughts on these are if you want to go the 15x route and you only do a couple hunts a year, or maybe they'll just be an add on to your spotter and don't need to carry them all of the time, or even just want them for the vehicle, I think these are a hard to beat option for the glass quality and price.

However on the flip side, the package that the glass comes in is a bit blocky and bulky. The eye cups are going to be hit and miss for people. They don't really fit Avery at all, and it takes me a little longer to get settled into them. They're also a bit heavy compared to some other options, and if I were planning to carry them with me on every hunt and use them a lot, I would steer towards one of the big 3. They are great binoculars and I've been super impressed with them so far.

I'll post the video in here when I get it up, and hopefully have that article coming out within the next couple weeks.

OP
Jordan Budd

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Here is a review video.
[video=youtube_share;ZH24-X16OGY]https://youtu.be/ZH24-X16OGY?list=PLBsWeLkJhajP0WD6Y119KOcR8d0mH0MA8[/video]

OP
Jordan Budd

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
How do the meopta's compare Jordan??? or anyone who has tried them??

The Meopta’s are a more streamlined design, almost a copy of the Swaro’s to be quite honest. I’ve been pretty impressed with the glass in them as well.

snipepod

FNG
I've owned the b4s since they were first introduced. The main reason for the larger size is they are abbe koenig roof prisms, vs the more common schmidt pechan designs. AKs are longer, weight more, but do not require any mirrored surfaces to prevent light transmission when beyond the critical angle. Advances is about 4% more light transfer.