Maven B6 in the Midwest thoughts?

Apap98

FNG
Hey guys I am new here but have been reading on here for years. Recently I have decided I wanted to step up and get a pair of quality binos as I have been using my dads old monarch 10x42s and am really wanting more. I know any model I choose will be a big step up from these but have been struggling to find a good reviews and comparisons on some of these that I’m interested in.

The three that I’m primarily considering are
1.) Maven B6
2.) Maven B1.2
3.) Razor UHD if I can find them used for a good price

I really like the idea of the 10x50s for low light situations where my other binos struggle. I am in Missouri and soon to be South Carolina and spend time in heavily wooded areas as well as looking through crp fields and need a pair that will handle all of it well. I most likely will not be using a tripod unless I end up going on a trip out west but again that’d be a small fraction of my overall use.

Most of the discussions about these binos are around those hunting out west it seems like so less applicable to my situations. Any advice on how these binos stack up and if 10x50 will work well for my use or if I should stick with 10x42 is greatly appreciated!!

Thanks again!

Wapiti1

WKR
Either the B.6 or 1.2 will do what you want. I would go B1.2 for the better FOV, size and weight. IME, there isn't a big difference between 42 and 50mm in a quality 10X binoc. At least, not a big enough difference to justify the size and weight penalty. Have you considered 8X42 in the B1.2? For the conditions you describe, those will be brighter, be a nice size/weight, and have enough magnification.

Now, I have not looked through either of these Maven offerings, but on paper the above is what I would do.

Jeremy

Hoodie

WKR
I wouldn't go above 8x for anything back east. If you aren't using a tripod 10x offers no advantages IMO.

I use the 8x42 B1.2 for hunting the timber in western Oregon. Very solid binocular in its price range.

OP
Apap98

Apap98

FNG
Either the B.6 or 1.2 will do what you want. I would go B1.2 for the better FOV, size and weight. IME, there isn't a big difference between 42 and 50mm in a quality 10X binoc. At least, not a big enough difference to justify the size and weight penalty. Have you considered 8X42 in the B1.2? For the conditions you describe, those will be brighter, be a nice size/weight, and have enough magnification.

Now, I have not looked through either of these Maven offerings, but on paper the above is what I would do.

Jeremy

I have not really as the only 8x I have used were old and cheap and I just figured the 10x would be more versatile but I am open to the idea. Also with the weight differences on 42vs50 it looked like 3 ounces or so if I remember correctly between the B1.2 and B6. But if there isn’t really any advantage for the B6 over the B1.2 id prefer to save every bit of weight I could.