Maven binoculars

MTN BUM

Lil-Rokslider
Get the C series. So much better than diamondback. I have three hunting buddies who just happen to have a lot of binos to compare. One uses diamondback 10x worst of the bunch. One uses some higher end vortex snd the maven c series is better.

I use a c.1 in 10x42 and it’s fairly close to the b series from maven. But both mavens beat all the vortex in my not so expert opinion.

For $350 you won’t be disappointed. I don’t see any reason for me to spend $1000 on glass. But then again, I have never owed $1000 glass.
I like this, but dont agree 100%. If you need a set of glass to get out and hunt, get what you can afford and go hunt. If you have a decent set (sounds like OP does) then dont sell yourself short on the upgrade. There is a reason the 1k glass still sells, and its because it is somewhat better. Buy what you need to hunt, dont trip over the comparisson. Once you are out there and hunting, upgrade as you are able. Upgrading from votex to the Maven C series wont knock your socks off. And you will still be wondering about the next upgrade. As a previous poster said, get the B series and you wont be jealous even looking through the swaro/zeiss glass. But most of all, take the quoted attitude and dont let gear hold you back.

I like this, but dont agree 100%. If you need a set of glass to get out and hunt, get what you can afford and go hunt. If you have a decent set (sounds like OP does) then dont sell yourself short on the upgrade. There is a reason the 1k glass still sells, and its because it is somewhat better. Buy what you need to hunt, dont trip over the comparisson. Once you are out there and hunting, upgrade as you are able. Upgrading from votex to the Maven C series wont knock your socks off. And you will still be wondering about the next upgrade. As a previous poster said, get the B series and you wont be jealous even looking through the swaro/zeiss glass. But most of all, take the quoted attitude and dont let gear hold you back.
I'd say I pretty much agree with you as well. I've looked through most of the ones vortex and mavens side by side in the field and my general feeling is maven is better at each price point.

The other thing I weighed in favor of the C series is the weight of the B. They're big, but for some people that's not an issue. But I agree with you that get what you can and don't let comparisons become a problem.

NMRoker

FNG
Thank you all for the advice in this thread. I'm not the OP but this info helped me make my decision to upgrade my binos.

I’m looking for some advice. I have been running vortex diamondback 10x50 for the last 2 seasons in the open western Nebraska. I’m now searching for an upgrade, I have looked at the maven c1s and c3s. I want a pair of 12 powers but with maven I’m disappointed at the FOV. I’ve read that even though they have a poor FOV the edges are so much more clearer than most. Do you all think it’s worth the upgrade? The vortex Binos will go to my wife so I can’t really sell them. I can swing $500 but I can’t do $1000 for binoculars.I would go with a set of vortex vipers but from what I’ve read mavens are superior glass. My main question is with the open country glassing that I do would you go with the 12 power or 10 power with mavens low FOV. Of course I almost always use a tripod. I also get a nice discount on maven but I can’t use it for the try before you buy program maven has so I would rather not go that route.
If you can swing $500, look at the Leupold BX-4 Pro Guides. They are as sharp as the Mavens with better ergonomics and a slightly wider FOV.

TexaninSconny

Lil-Rokslider
Lots of what I’ve read is that listed FOV for Maven is often a very conservative number.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nobody

WKR
I will definitely look into them. The FOV is the only thing that makes me nervous with maven
I've shared this on other threads, but it is worth mentioning here too. The field of view with the Maven is narrower than many other company's optics. However, the difference is that their FOV is 100% useable from edge to edge. Many other mid-priced optics on the market tell you that they have a 341' FOV for a 10x (for example), but that binocular has significant fringing at the edge and poor edge-to-edge clarity, making the outer 10% of the image effectively useless. Who cares if you have 35-ish more feet than the Maven (C.1) if that 35 feet is blurry? It doesn't help you at all, and can actual act to your detriment since that blurry edge can give you eye fatigue and a headache after glassing all day.

To me, I'll take sharp edge-to-edge clarity at the expense of some field of view. The Maven C.1 has that, other sub $1k options don't (to my eyes anyways). YMMV.

I've shared this on other threads, but it is worth mentioning here too. The field of view with the Maven is narrower than many other company's optics. However, the difference is that their FOV is 100% useable from edge to edge. Many other mid-priced optics on the market tell you that they have a 341' FOV for a 10x (for example), but that binocular has significant fringing at the edge and poor edge-to-edge clarity, making the outer 10% of the image effectively useless. Who cares if you have 35-ish more feet than the Maven (C.1) if that 35 feet is blurry? It doesn't help you at all, and can actual act to your detriment since that blurry edge can give you eye fatigue and a headache after glassing all day.

To me, I'll take sharp edge-to-edge clarity at the expense of some field of view. The Maven C.1 has that, other sub $1k options don't (to my eyes anyways). YMMV.
I'll take the wider FOV with the same usable FOV because I will pick up movement in the edges and I can always re-center the bins. If you can't see it to begin with, then you'll miss it.

I also loathe the "paper towel tube" effect on any optic. That's why I don't use Nikon rifle scopes, for example. That "tube" effect drove me nuts after a while with my C3's.

nobody

WKR
I'll take the wider FOV with the same usable FOV because I will pick up movement in the edges and I can always re-center the bins. If you can't see it to begin with, then you'll miss it.

I also loathe the "paper towel tube" effect on any optic. That's why I don't use Nikon rifle scopes, for example. That "tube" effect drove me nuts after a while with my C3's.
See this is so interesting to me, and a perfect example of why there are so many options on the market. The thing that you love about the BX-4's is one of the reasons I decided against them and the Viper HD's last year. The blur at the edge that my eyes perceived just bugged me so bad. The C.1's are crisper edge to edge for my eyes, which doesn't give me the eye fatigue I fought with a previous set of Leupold binos. I fight headaches and eye fatigue big time, and I've discovered that the blurring at the edge is one of the main causes of it. Again, personal experience, but it's so interesting to hear everyone's different opinions.

It also makes me laugh thinking of the types of things we complain about today, when our grandpa's would've given anything to have the optics we have now back in the 50's and 60's!

See this is so interesting to me, and a perfect example of why there are so many options on the market. The thing that you love about the BX-4's is one of the reasons I decided against them and the Viper HD's last year. The blur at the edge that my eyes perceived just bugged me so bad. The C.1's are crisper edge to edge for my eyes, which doesn't give me the eye fatigue I fought with a previous set of Leupold binos. I fight headaches and eye fatigue big time, and I've discovered that the blurring at the edge is one of the main causes of it. Again, personal experience, but it's so interesting to hear everyone's different opinions.

It also makes me laugh thinking of the types of things we complain about today, when our grandpa's would've given anything to have the optics we have now back in the 50's and 60's!
You're right about that!

I re-read this thread again and realized the OP was actually asking about $500 Binoculars. Just like everyone else was recommending glass in the $1k category.

But in the $500 street price category the Athlon Cronus G2 UHD 10x42 gets my highest recommendation. I have a pair and really cannot get over the quality at this price point, and believe they are very competitive with many binoculars in the $1k and under bracket. Bought them as a knock-around glass to keep in the truck but was blown away by the build quality, resolution and high-contrast view.

nwelsh

FNG
I purchased a pair of B2s in 11x45 this spring. So far, I like everything. My only concern is FOV. I purchased the 11x45 at the suggestion of the company, but really wish I had had the opportunity to try the 11s and the 9s side by side. I will follow up with more feedback once whitetail season is underway.

I purchased a pair of B2s in 11x45 this spring. So far, I like everything. My only concern is FOV. I purchased the 11x45 at the suggestion of the company, but really wish I had had the opportunity to try the 11s and the 9s side by side. I will follow up with more feedback once whitetail season is underway.

I ordered both as part of their trial program. I ended up with the 9s. The 11s were just too sensitive for my liking. I am no expert by any means but the depth of you was out of focus too often without adjusting the focus wheel. I had more depth of view on the 9x. I don’t know all the terminology with binoculars as I primarily use microscope’s for work but I would say my depth of view was very narrow with the 11x and I didn’t have to adjust Nearly as often with the nines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nwelsh

FNG
Smart. Wish I had done the same. Although I haven't tried the 9s, everything youhave shared makes perfect sense.

Shameless plug, I’ve got my 9s listed in the clasifieds. Really like them and won’t be upset if they don’t sell but I’ve got an itch to try true alpha glass, Swaro EL, Pure or Zeiss SF.