Maven binos for sheep advice please.

I’ve somewhat decided on a new set of Maven B2’s for my upcoming sheep hunt. It was between them, Leica Trinovids and open box SLC’s. With all I need to buy for this hunt I was leaning towards the Leicas to save a few bucks but these Mavens, by all reviews, seem to be the better compromise between the 3 brands.
It seems, from all my reading, that 10x42’s are the sweet spot for a sheep hunt. 8’s are not enough power and 12’s are shaky glassing in hand. Well as most probably know, B2’s come only in 9 and 11 power. Which to choose is the question. Am I overthinking this and just go with the 11’s since there’s no weight savings in the 9’s? Or, should I hold out for a deal on some Swaro’s? Any insight from sheep guys, or anyone else for that matter, is appreciated.

Last edited:

ljalberta

WKR
Plenty of people hunt sheep with 8s and plenty hunt with 12s. So either way you'll be fine. I hunt bighorns in Alberta and if the pair were only for that application I think I'd lean towards the 11s. However if it were Dalls or using in other pursuits as well I'd go with the 9s. It's definitely a very personal decision though.

OP
Ariettabob
Thanks for the replies guys. I’ll be hunting Dall’s in the Yukon. I should’ve included that. I’m curious why the 9’s over the 11’s for Dall’s specifically? Because they’re easier to spot? Light transmission? Something else?

twunt

FNG
Whatever you go with throw them on a tripod, it’s a game changer. Imo.
I hunt sheep with 12x50s. Worth the weight penalty to me anyhow.

In contrast. My old man uses 10x32s for sheep. He couldn’t be bothered with a tripod.

ericF

WKR
Thanks for the replies guys. I’ll be hunting Dall’s in the Yukon. I should’ve included that. I’m curious why the 9’s over the 11’s for Dall’s specifically? Because they’re easier to spot? Light transmission? Something else?

I think the general consensus is that Dalls are just so much easier to spot. I basically did the same research you are doing for a sheep hunt this summer and decided to get the 10x42 SLCs. I almost decided my Zeiss 8x42s were good enough, but I can never pass up an excuse to buy more gear.

Rsully661

Lil-Rokslider
I have both the 11s and 9s, I really like the extra magnification of the 11 but the 9s I feel are more clear and just easier to glass with by far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Ariettabob
Whatever you go with throw them on a tripod, it’s a game changer. Imo.
I hunt sheep with 12x50s. Worth the weight penalty to me anyhow.

In contrast. My old man uses 10x32s for sheep. He couldn’t be bothered with a tripod.
I’ll have a tripod with me for sure. Thanks

tommy1005

FNG
I haven’t hunted sheep, but have had my 11’s for 3 years and hunted whitetail, mule deer, elk, and black bear with them and really like the extra magnification. I have no problem handholding them, but will use a tripod for extended glassing sessions. I can pick out animals before and after legal shooting light, so to me brightness is not an issue.

OP
Ariettabob
Thanks for all the replies, men. I’m thinking my best course of action might be to wait for next winters sheep show and try them out, let my eyes decide. Appreciate the help very much.

tommy1005

FNG
With Maven you can always order 2 demo pairs to put them side by side and keep whichever one you like, or return them both and get a custom one to your specs.

OP
Ariettabob
With Maven you can always order 2 demo pairs to put them side by side and keep whichever one you like, or return them both and get a custom one to your specs.
That’s not a bad idea. That way I could try them in less than “convention center” ideal conditions. Thanks.

tommy1005

FNG
That was my thought. Looking at buying some 8x30 B.3’s for my son and probably going to do the same thing. Saves me a little money too.

Labdad

FNG
I LOVE my Leica 8x42
Used them for antelope, bou, moose, sheep, goat, elk, mulies.....

Doc Holliday

WKR
Classified Approved
I think the general consensus is that Dalls are just so much easier to spot. I basically did the same research you are doing for a sheep hunt this summer and decided to get the 10x42 SLCs. I almost decided my Zeiss 8x42s were good enough, but I can never pass up an excuse to buy more gear.
Dalls can be pretty hard to spot after 5 days of snow. Last days of August/first days of September last year were nuts weather wise.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk