Maven C.1 10x42 Binocular Review, By Jim Carr

Brink

FNG
They're not a random Asian company. Yes, the C1's are made in the Philippines, but the B series is the ONLY made in the USA binocular in the world. Even "Made in the USA Leupold" builds anything that's not a scope in China. The guys that run Maven are in Lander, Wyoming, and all their B series are fully assembled and tested there, and all other optics are also tested there before shipping. When I first started looking at them, I called to ask some questions and ended up leaving a voicemail. At 7:30 PM Mountain Time, my phone rang and it was one of the owners, returning my phone call. I could tell he was busy as we were talking, and he said he was assembling Binoculars to fulfill some pre-hunting season orders. They are a small, mom and pop type operation that is scaring the big boys TO DEATH, and I see them hanging around for a long time. The guide industry has largely started to convert to the Mavens even, so they've got a good enough following there realistically to help keep them in business without all of us converting over as well. I would never worry at all about them going anywhere. I would worry about Vortex disappearing before Maven personally, at least Maven sells a decent product.
They are assembled in the US but I believe the B series is Japanese made glass. Not a bad thing, IMO. They seem to be gaining a lot of steam and they make some lofty customer service claims. If I ever replace my Nikon 8x30 set I will probably try the B series Mavens

CullenMS

FNG
Great review and follow-up dialogue within the thread. Gearing up to head west this fall for the first time and looking to upgrade glass. Vortex gets all the PR in terms of good value glass under $1000 and I had previously never heard of Maven...could be my ignorance. Regardless, posts like this are changing my views quickly...

JasonDay

FNG
Appreciate the review. Still on the fence between these and the Viper 10x42 for my budget and needs.

Wrhyne

FNG
Thanks for the write up! I also appreciate all the opinions from those who chimed in.
I think my mind is made up.

dirtshooter

Lil-Rokslider
Just sold my SigBDX3000 binos for C1s and the remainder of the money went towards a Leica RF. C1s felt and look way better and I know the Leica glass will be great.

Now, maybe a maven spotter????

Agross

WKR
I absolutely love my C1’s. Even with the good reviews, they were better than I was expecting.

Firehawk

WKR
I have the 8x42 version of the Maven C1 and a Vortex Viper HD 8x42. The Mavens are clearer/sharper. Felt the same way when comparing my buddy's 10x42 Viper to the C1 when I first got it. The Vortex Viper is a good bino and will provide years of good service. That said, the Maven C1 is easier to look through to my eyes....IF you can get past the narrower field of view. Frankly, that is the only knock I have on the C1 is the relatively narrow field of view. They are not as good as the B2 9x45 I had or the B1.2 10x42 my buddy currently has. In fact the B3 8x30 I had, bested the C1 8x42. The glass was just better on the B series binoculars, but they cost 2-3 times as much as well. When comparing to the Viper, I would take the C1 every time.

FH