Maven C.1 10x42 vs Vortex Diamondback 10x42 Binos

Physio21

FNG
I recently went on an Idaho elk hunt with my buddy where we decided to do a side-by-side comparison of our binoculars. Before the trip we had discussed each others' binos and went into the trip thinking that the Mavens would blow the Vortex binos out of the water. We were surprised to find that the Diamondbacks held up fairly well next to the Mavens.

We didn't notice any difference in low light glassing or looking into shadows. I didn't notice any difference in the crispness of the image, although my friend gave a slight edge to the Mavens. The area that set the Mavens apart was while we glassed terrain in the direction of the sun. There was little to no glare with Mavens, while the bottom fourth of the Diamondback's field of view was filled with a crescent-shaped glare.

As far as price point goes, I've found Maven C.1s in the $350 range and the Vortex Diamondbacks around $180-200, although Cabela's has an awesome sale for them at $129 right now.

I would say both binos are good quality for their price range, especially since both companies offer an unconditional lifetime warranty. I have heard great reviews on the customer service and warranty that Vortex offers, but I haven't heard any experiences with Maven. Have any of you had interactions with them?

bmf0713

WKR
I just picked up a pair of mavens 10x42. I compared them to my diamondback 8x42 and my friends 10x42 vipers. I thought the mavens were a little better than the Diamondbacks and just as good if not a little better than the vipers also.

I have the diamondback 10x42 and the C1 10x50. I was very impressed with the Mavens, after using the Vortex's for a little over a year. The detail is just so much more crisp through the C1s. I'm glad I upgraded. Plus, the diamondbacks are a great back up set.

Mykonos

FNG
Were these the diamondback HD? Or just diamondback? I’ve got some cabelas gift cards I want to cash in on binos and have heard good things about vortex and their warranties as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Physio21

Physio21

FNG
Were these the diamondback HD? Or just diamondback? I’ve got some cabelas gift cards I want to cash in on binos and have heard good things about vortex and their warranties as well.

Yep, Diamondback HD.

Blaw

WKR
I have had diamondbacks (Older version) and maven c1's , I have also tried the viper HD's

The Maven c1's are on par with the vipers hands down, and are definitely better than the diamondbacks.

I actually had the diamondbacks and mavens side by side,maves are more crisp, less fuzz around the edges. hands down better. I was looking at a varying distances up to 1k away throughout the day.

I compared the Diamondback HD to the Maven C.1 in low light in Arizona a while back. Honestly they're in different classes to my eyes. The C.1 has much better clarity, was better edge to edge, better brightness, and more contrast. A better comparison is the Viper HD to the C.1.

All that being said I really do believe the Diamondback HD is enough binocular for a massive portion of the hunting public. I'm betting I would have shot my two best bulls if I were carrying only a set of Diamondbacks.

Mykonos

FNG
I compared the Diamondback HD to the Maven C.1 in low light in Arizona a while back. Honestly they're in different classes to my eyes. The C.1 has much better clarity, was better edge to edge, better brightness, and more contrast. A better comparison is the Viper HD to the C.1.

All that being said I really do believe the Diamondback HD is enough binocular for a massive portion of the hunting public. I'm betting I would have shot my two best bulls if I were carrying only a set of Diamondbacks.

This is the info I’m looking for. I hunt Midwest whitetail right now but plan on some western hunts in the future and want to start collecting stuff in the next few years to be prepared.

Where are the mavens made? Anyone in north idaho/Washington sell these locally? I’d like to give them a try.

I think the quality of the Diamondback varies with loose manufacturing tolerances. I have what must be an outstanding pair, I tried C.1’s side by side whitetail hunting a powerline at last light and sent the C.1’s back.

@ChrisAU makes a very good point. Especially with these lower prices binos, there's enough variability between pairs that opinions can vary.

. I have heard great reviews on the customer service and warranty that Vortex offers, but I haven't heard any experiences with Maven. Have any of you had interactions with them?

I bought a used set of B2s last fall and somehow lost the tripod adapter cap (the little screw cap that goes into the end of the hinge). I sent them an email asking to buy one and they were incredibly nice and sent me one for FREE. That's pretty cool.

You seriously can't go wrong with diamondback HDs. I love mine and use them at least 3x a week.

This is the info I’m looking for. I hunt Midwest whitetail right now but plan on some western hunts in the future and want to start collecting stuff in the next few years to be prepared.

I also believe that as well. It takes a bit to understand quality of optics. spending twice the money DOES NOT double the performance, and top tier is only about 10% better or so than high quality middle stuff. For the vast majority of the public and general hunting applications, diamondback HDs are far superior of an optic than most will ever need. I use mine all the time and love em. I also have razor and viper products but love my diamondbacks too!

dyllanmurray

Lil-Rokslider
I have the old diamondbacks and I’ve used them for 5 years now, they’re still amazing glass for the price. I picked them up for 225 and have gotten every penny out of them.