Maven C series vs Vortex Viper HD

Justin_the_EDG

Lil-Rokslider
Looking at bumping up my $50 Amazon binos to the next tier I can justify paying. There's tons of reviews on the higher end Maven lines, but nothing on the Cs, let alone a comparo to the Viper HDs.

Specifically, I'm looking at the 12x50s. I'd assume the Maven C3 glass may edge the Vipers, but the field of view is listed as freakishly small for some reason.

Anyone with feedback on the C line vs the Viper HD line generally, or the 12x binos in particular?

Before you comment: I'm sure your used Swaros are much better and worth the investment. Got it, thanks!

Last edited:
OP
Justin_the_EDG

Justin_the_EDG

Lil-Rokslider
After searching for C3 v Viper, I switched my search to just Maven C vs Viper and came across more. I'm still curious about the much smaller FoV on the Maven, but it seems that the C series glass is still very well thought of and generally considered a step above the Viper HD glass.

Napperm4

WKR
Haven’t compare the 2 and maybe a little different but I had a pair of the 15x50 made in Japan vipers and they were hands down the worst piece of equipment I’ve ever bought. Constant headaches, dim, sent in for service many times with no resolve. Just all round a terrible experience

I’d stay at 10 and below in the vipers in particular. The 10x42 are pretty decent.

There’s a thread on this I believe. There are tons of reviews on the Maven and they’re all sterling. Keep looking. I’ve read multiple comparisons and the Maven won easily over the Vipers. I love my Maven C1s and they are better than any Vortex I’ve touched. You’ll hear that the Mavens are super crisp glass over and over. No one says that about the Viper.

The fov is pretty close as I recall. The fov does not bother me.

dtm6582

FNG
I went back and forth with this question for about a week and ended up pulling the trigger on some Maven C1's yesterday. Not the 12x you're looking for but there was definitely a concensus online that the Maven's are solid, even among those who ultimately returned them.

Vortex also got solid reviews but people kept says over and over it's for their amazing warranty service. I'm one of those guys who almost never uses the warranty (I think Maven offers the same anyway but Vortex is definitely a more established company) so the cost savings won out.

I believe Maven offers a trial so you can give them a shot. They're also on amazon prime so if you have a prime account you can always buy and return if you don't like them.

I went back and forth with this question for about a week and ended up pulling the trigger on some Maven C1's yesterday. Not the 12x you're looking for but there was definitely a concensus online that the Maven's are solid, even among those who ultimately returned them.

Vortex also got solid reviews but people kept says over and over it's for their amazing warranty service. I'm one of those guys who almost never uses the warranty (I think Maven offers the same anyway but Vortex is definitely a more established company) so the cost savings won out.

I believe Maven offers a trial so you can give them a shot. They're also on amazon prime so if you have a prime account you can always buy and return if you don't like them.

Exactly. Guys like the Vortex because of the warranty and they’re actually pretty decent. You’ll hear it over and over. A much pickier crowd that is trying to find quality optics and not just following the herd (which used to be Vortex but is branching out as shown by this site) is reviewing the Maven binos.

I own both. They are both 10 by 42's. I ran the Viper's for 3 years and had no problem spotting game with it. Much better than the $50 bushnell's I grew up using. When hunting season ended my sister in law was raving about her C1's. I was able to test them out in low light conditions, along with the Razor, and there was no comparison. The C1's glass was a much higher quality than anything from Vortex. I bought the C1's this past holidays when they go on sale for $315, the lowest price of the year. I shed hunted and scouted with them. I will run them this year and then decide which one's I prefer. The only issue I have with the C1's is the eye cups aren't as comfortable as the Vipers. That is my only complaint.

binoman

FNG
I have not looked through the Mavens but I do own a 12x50 viper - the latest one that is now made in China. I got it replaced under warranty as it wasn't focusing well. Seems the quality control is hit and miss with the new models. Finally got a good one and I have no complaints. Build quality and construction is good. Eye cups work well (which is a complaint you hear about with Mavens eye cups not staying up). I went with the vipers as the field of view is great for a 12x50 at 288 yards. Optically I have no complaints, view is bright and clear. Some CA is noticeable, more so on the edges but in the sweetspot you have to really look for it. Again, I have not looked through mavens to compare them side by side but this is my take on the vipers for what its worth.

OP
Justin_the_EDG

Justin_the_EDG

Lil-Rokslider
Well, they still had the August sale running on the C3s, so I ordered the 12x50 from Maven. Unfortunately, I won't be able to give an educated opinion on them when they come in, because my only context is the Celestron Outland 10x42. I suppose if I have issues with the eye cups, I can look at warranty-ing as Maven has a similar policy to Vortex. Again, the 250' FOV on the C3 is weirdly small compared to virtually every other 12x50, so not sure what's up with that, but I'm assuming the glass will be better otherwise compared to anything else in a sub-600 category.