Maven CS. 1A 15-45 X 65 Spotting scope

Jim Carr

Super Moderator
Staff member
Maven CS.1A Spotting scope and C1 10x42 Bino

One question I have heard many times by clients and others who often are semi new in certain aspects of big game hunting is affordable optics that work well enough to get the job done. Digging in further many ask whether or not they need to lug around a spotting scope. I started at the bottom and worked my way up as far as quality of glass and defiantly notice justifiable differences in paying more. But I understand the need for hunters who maybe go once or twice a year or are just getting into hunting to go with an affordable option. I have 2 daughters that just came of hunting age and I can’t afford to by top end glass for them. But the glass has to work I can tell you first hand many cheaper options aren’t worth carrying.
IMG-3671.jpg

I was given both the CS.1A maven and previously the C1 10x42 Binos for review

I have had my daughter using the 10x42 mavens for a little while and have been impressed with them especially at the price point they are at. I will have more detailed info on them coming up. Just the other day I received the spotting scope and once I opened the box was blown away by the compactness especially for a 15-45X65 spotter they seem like they would fit in just about any side pouch. The website states it weighs 40 ounces and is 11.4 inches in length. I weighed it 39 ounces and measured right at 11.4 inches it is small and compact it feels very stout and weighs a bit more then it looks like it would. It has lower tier mid-line pricing 650$ retail

Here is a picture with it side by side with my Swarovski spotter don't make too much fun of the scope cover it cost me 24 bucks and has lasted 10 years.
IMG-3696.jpg
It has been very smoky the past several days and hasn’t been ideal for glassing. I’m going to be running it side by side with my 20-60 Swarovski .I’m excited to spend some time with this and should be able to spend quite a bit of time behind it the next few weeks. it feels like it could be good answer for a lot of guys just getting into back-country hunting both weight and cost wise.
IMG-3672.jpg

Attachments

• IMG-3672.jpg
    IMG-3672.jpg
    493.6 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG-3696.jpg
    IMG-3696.jpg
    231.7 KB · Views: 79

NCSU_Lewis

Lil-Rokslider
I have been curious how this stacks up. I am borrowing a vortex diamondback and it is dismal in low light and pretty poor otherwise. Would be curious to know how much of a step up this would be.

Nice, looking forward to the review. If you could find and athlon ares and or hawke to compare it to that would be helpful as they're in the same price category.

OP
J

Jim Carr

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have been curious how this stacks up. I am borrowing a vortex diamondback and it is dismal in low light and pretty poor otherwise. Would be curious to know how much of a step up this would be.
I can tell you from the little I have used it . It seems well ahead of the Diamond back spotter. The binoculars in same line are definitely a step ahead. I have friends that had diamond back so I have been able to check them out for a option for my kids I turned it down as not worth the price. I’m definitely excited to get it out and see how it performs .

Last edited:

Firehawk

WKR
The Cabelas Krotos/Athlon Ares 65mm I had was very similar, but the edge goes to the Maven. Love the build quality, seems easier to focus at higher magnification, and clear right to the very edge, and sharp picture. Seems to be color neutral to me, which makes things pop in the view. My eyes have issues, but for me I am very happy with the Maven CS.1. Only wish that they made it in a straight version, but I am slowly getting used to the angled.

Buffalo

FNG
Any update on this? I’m looking to upgrade my spotter. I have maven binos and really like them. If I could get a used swaro I’d go that route but I’m interested in the maven too.

Elkobsessed

Lil-Rokslider
I bought the SX4 pro guide about 2 weeks before the Maven came out. I would love to see a comparison of the two as the Maven is quite a bit lighter.

SoDak_23

FNG
I also bought the SX4 2 weeks before the Maven came out. I purchased the Maven and did some side by side comparisons and thought the Maven fit my eye better and had a slightly better FOV. Very comparable and I wasn't able to test them in low light because I really preferred the compactness of the Maven so I returned the Leupold. Only complaint so far is I pulled out my Maven today and the small rubber eyepiece has came off. I just emailed Maven and expect to hear back shortly.

OP
J

Jim Carr

Super Moderator
Staff member
I also bought the SX4 2 weeks before the Maven came out. I purchased the Maven and did some side by side comparisons and thought the Maven fit my eye better and had a slightly better FOV. Very comparable and I wasn't able to test them in low light because I really preferred the compactness of the Maven so I returned the Leupold. Only complaint so far is I pulled out my Maven today and the small rubber eyepiece has came off. I just emailed Maven and expect to hear back shortly.
The same thing happened to me as well.