Maven RS.2 vs SWFA Ultralight on 7mm Rem Mag? Enough eye relief?

Cervid

FNG
Hi everyone, I have a Tikka T3x Lite Veil in 7mm Rem Mag that I am trying to decide which scope to put on. I am attracted to both the Maven RS.2 and the SWFA Ultralight and was wondering if anyone is running a similar set-up. If you are, do you find the eye relief on these scopes to be sufficient for 7mm Rem Mag (this rifle has a muzzle brake, but still 2.3 and 2.5" of eye relief respectively is not a lot).

I am also happy to hear other suggestions. I want a lightweight scope that has a good low range (no more than 3x on the low end, preferably less), and goes up to 7 or 8x on the high end. I am ok with dialing, but it seems that most of the reliable dialers are heavier scopes, so with capped turrets I would definitely want a reticle that has moa/mil markings or some sort of usable bdc rather than a plain duplex.

Thanks for your help

nobody

WKR
For long eye relief, get a Leupold. They don't track as well as some of the other big names when it comes to dialing long range, but it's hard to beat one for a "set it and forget it" kind of scope. Lots of those push 4 inches of eye relief. I would recommend a VX3i 2.5-10x40.

OP
C

Cervid

FNG
For long eye relief, get a Leupold. They don't track as well as some of the other big names when it comes to dialing long range, but it's hard to beat one for a "set it and forget it" kind of scope. Lots of those push 4 inches of eye relief. I would recommend a VX3i 2.5-10x40.
maybe I missed a scope, but Leupold VX3i only comes in 2.5-8 or 3.5-10 and only in duplex reticles.

nobody

WKR
maybe I missed a scope, but Leupold VX3i only comes in 2.5-8 or 3.5-10 and only in duplex reticles.
That's correct, I mistyped on the 3.5 vx 2.5. I do know Leupold is in the process of updating and releasing their 2021 line, so keep an eye on their website. But I do know they just came out with their Tri MOA reticle with 10 MOA of holdover, but they're still working on making them available in every tier of optics. I thought they were available, but I guess not yet.

In the meantime, you can still buy the VX3i in a 4.5-14x40 with the Boone and Crockett reticle for holdovers, it's on their site now. And the 14 power is sure nice when you get on mule deer beyond 500...

left hunter

Lil-Rokslider
I have owned both the RS2 and the SWFA ultralight and neither would work for me with a lightweight 7mm mag. Both of these scope have substantially longer eye relief when set on low power so you should be fine there. The issue would be once you cranked it up to high power.

Two other little issues I have had. The rs2 was very clear but it has this very pronounced and thick black ring when you look through it around the edges. Most scopes feel like the image goes nearly all the way to the edge of the glass but for some reason the rs2 does not and it drives me nuts. Also if you will look up the sub tension deminsion for the hold over reticle they offer in the rs 2 they are way to far apart for anything but possibly a muzzleloader or slug gun

Othe than short eye relief at high power the only other issues I have had with the SWFA ultralight is the clarity above 8 power. It is pretty much unusable above 8. I wish they would have just made it a 2-8 which I believe would have fixed these issues

Just a sample of one each so take it for what it is

gsully

Lil-Rokslider
That's correct, I mistyped on the 3.5 vx 2.5. I do know Leupold is in the process of updating and releasing their 2021 line, so keep an eye on their website. But I do know they just came out with their Tri MOA reticle with 10 MOA of holdover, but they're still working on making them available in every tier of optics. I thought they were available, but I guess not yet.

In the meantime, you can still buy the VX3i in a 4.5-14x40 with the Boone and Crockett reticle for holdovers, it's on their site now. And the 14 power is sure nice when you get on mule deer beyond 500...

I’m in the same boat, very frustrating with all the Leupold duplex options. I don’t get how people are using duplex reticles and capped turrets. I love some of the VX3 options but lack of bdc/moa reticles really stinks.

Rodéo

WKR
The RS2 has enough eye relief for my mauser M18 in .243 with low talley rings but just barely. At 2x it's very usable but at 10x I would not want my face that close to the scope with a 7 rem mag. I looked into the swfa before I got the maven but the specs on the eye relief kept me away.

Hi everyone, I have a Tikka T3x Lite Veil in 7mm Rem Mag that I am trying to decide which scope to put on. I am attracted to both the Maven RS.2 and the SWFA Ultralight and was wondering if anyone is running a similar set-up. If you are, do you find the eye relief on these scopes to be sufficient for 7mm Rem Mag (this rifle has a muzzle brake, but still 2.3 and 2.5" of eye relief respectively is not a lot).

I am also happy to hear other suggestions. I want a lightweight scope that has a good low range (no more than 3x on the low end, preferably less), and goes up to 7 or 8x on the high end. I am ok with dialing, but it seems that most of the reliable dialers are heavier scopes, so with capped turrets I would definitely want a reticle that has moa/mil markings or some sort of usable bdc rather than a plain duplex.

Thanks for your help

i had the RS2 but passed it along. Eye relief was definitely on the shorter side and i felt the hash marks on the reticle weren't in the most practical increments. I am not a LR shooter, just aspirations to eventually, but that was what i considered.

Thanks for your help
The veil has a heavier barrel contour and is 7lbs bare gun. I would not hesitate with that amount of eye relief. My superlite 7 mag is 6lbs bare gun with a brake and the recoil does not jump back at you. The only situation I could see that being an issue is with shooting steep angle up, but that's going to be a problem with pretty much any combination.

I’m shooting a pretty stout load from my 30-06 with the swfa ultralight. I don’t see it being an issue but ymmv