Maven RS.3 rifle scope review **UPDATED 3.7.2020**

Can anyone tell me why an exposed windage turret is a good thing and a not a huge liability? It would seem to me that the easy risk of accidentally moving your point of aim by pulling the rifle out of the truck, out of a scabbard or even having a friend hand you your rifle moving over a fence far outweighs the benefit that supposedly comes with a quicker dialing for the wind. If you're dialing wind, dont you likely have the time to remove the cap? Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere, but Im scratching my head on this feature of what otherwise appears to be an awesome scope.

I agree...one of the best thought out scopes for LR hunting was the bushnell LRHS..capped wind and low profile elevation...I really like the Maven--just a few tweaks and it could be a lot better...capped windage is one...

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Can anyone tell me why an exposed windage turret is a good thing and a not a huge liability? It would seem to me that the easy risk of accidentally moving your point of aim by pulling the rifle out of the truck, out of a scabbard or even having a friend hand you your rifle moving over a fence far outweighs the benefit that supposedly comes with a quicker dialing for the wind. If you're dialing wind, dont you likely have the time to remove the cap? Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere, but Im scratching my head on this feature of what otherwise appears to be an awesome scope.

I've been hunting the last 13 years with turrets in every condition imaginable I have yet to spin my windage knob. I have had my elevation turret move a few clicks.

But I would not be surprised if Maven did cap the windage at some point. They seem to listen.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
You still using your x5 and are you still liking it? Do you like ffp better?

The X5 non-illuminated is probably still my favorite scope. It's defiantly Tanya's favorite scope. I prefer SFP, I am not a comp shooter and don't have any real need for FFP. Now if Maven made an SFP RS.3 it would few oz lighter and hard to beat all things considered.

Last edited:

Oldpuck

FNG
Thanks was trying to figure an alternative and possibly an update to my Nightforce SHV which I like but is bulky and heavy. IMy hesitancy was the open turrets, since I sometimes snag my gear on branches and brush.

OP
Josh Boyd

Josh Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
I’ll have a video review up shortly where I briefly touch on the exposed turrets. Under all manner of use not once did they move without me twisting them on purpose. I can relate to wanting a capped windage turret but it really wasn’t an issue during my use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dsmiley49

FNG
I wish I knew of a place in NW washington to handle some Maven products. Anybody have leads on where I can get hands on?

OP
Josh Boyd

Josh Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
if you were to get either the maven or the NX8 which would you choose?

That’s a really tough question. Both are great optics loaded with features. For some, the capped windage turret on the NX8 is a necessity as is its locking system on the elevation turret. If you think you can live without those two features, then the RS.3 would be a great choice. Either optic would not be bad choice.

I have been using this scope for that last three months. I have hit it with a rubber mallet, dropped it on both sides from 30” and it has held zero and tracked out to 1800 yards. It 26.5 oz on my scale and is very compact. Love the center dot in the reticle. The reticle is thick on 30x but i has no issues shooting steel with it at any range. The turrets are crisp and stiff. The glass is way better than good enough. I love the simple zero stop and no tool turret removal. Lots to like! My only knock is 15 MOA per revolution. The presale ends November 15!!

4cefd42991426f9dce343d8641b33574.jpeg

My buddy Scott made a great 700 yard shot with the RS.3
586723b76dac0a4048de71f62b9900c2.jpeg

Kelly with a heart shot at 650 yards on a very windy day.
9b061b66d0f66f3e8a4dc88aa46fa9ce.jpg

It’s was around 7 degrees right after Scott shot his bull.
34a3fcbf79226e29845c7814cbebc0eb.jpg

Checking dope
1c84acb1d07984934688bdeab89ecdbe.jpg

Practice!
02e03a1e96f7a7f8e74ebeea29652e64.jpg

You can see here how compact it is against the X5 and NX8.
92343b85cd3d2774edeceb1dc983a167.jpg

Shooting way out there.

Thanks for the info.