Maven RS.3 rifle scope review **UPDATED 3.7.2020**

Josh Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Maven is about to launch for pre-order a new rifle scope called the RS.3. It's a 5-30x variable scope with a 30mm tube and a 50mm objective lens that tips the scale at 26.5 ounces. I've had this scope mounted on my Lane Precision Rifles test rifle for more than a month and I've put it through some initial tests. At this point it's been flawless is dialing and returning to zero. I'm sure @Ryan Avery will chime in as he had a hand in the development of this optic and has had a test scope for a while now.

If you are interested in this scope, visit Maven Built on October 15th for all the specs and to pre-order with $300 off the regular price until November 15th. In the mean time, I'll be using this scope for a couple elk hunts and mule deer hunts to continue the process of real-world testing.

3/7/20 Update: @Josh Boyd video review on the RS.3 is up:

Last edited by a moderator:

TrueAt1stLight

Lil-Rokslider
Got a chance to look through one last week and wow, did it have great glass! I really liked the reticle too. If this offered illumination I would be snapping it up over the new NX8 4-32. Still might yet....

Looks very tempting! How do these compare to the vortex razor HD LH level of scopes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
Be a good comparison between this and the Optika6 line from Meopta. Both look like solid pieces of gear.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Never while hunting big game have I needed illumination even with an FFP. I rather have a lightweight scope that dials than all the bells and whistles of a tactical scope.

Does this one dial, do you trust it, and would you take it over a swaro x5?

OP
Josh Boyd

Josh Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Does this one dial, do you trust it, and would you take it over a swaro x5?
This one dials and it's been flawless and repeatable so far. I beat it up backpack hunting in Wyoming, Idaho, and now Montana and it's still holding zero perfectly. I've been twisting the knobs a lot lately and I just shot a few more test rounds this week and I didn't have to touch anything.

The X5 is twice the price and 4-6 ounces more depending on what power range you're looking at. I've never owned an X5 so I can't vouch for glass clarity or ease of use. But they have a reputation for durability and consistency. And at this point in the testing the RS.3 is doing well in that department too.

This one dials and it's been flawless and repeatable so far. I beat it up backpack hunting in Wyoming, Idaho, and now Montana and it's still holding zero perfectly. I've been twisting the knobs a lot lately and I just shot a few more test rounds this week and I didn't have to touch anything.

The X5 is twice the price and 4-6 ounces more depending on what power range you're looking at. I've never owned an X5 so I can't vouch for glass clarity or ease of use. But they have a reputation for durability and consistency. And at this point in the testing the RS.3 is doing well in that department too.

They are very different scopes, was asking the question to Avery because I know he is a fan of the X5 and I am as well. SFP vs FFP, capped windage uncapped, and price do stand out as the biggest differences and I understand that.

Wright406

WKR
Cant wait to throw one on my custom gun. My 2.5 - 15 Mavem will be replaced with this new model. And if it's anything like the RS1 Then it will track flawless and be wicked clear.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I have been using this scope for that last three months. I have hit it with a rubber mallet, dropped it on both sides from 30” and it has held zero and tracked out to 1800 yards. It 26.5 oz on my scale and is very compact. Love the center dot in the reticle. The reticle is thick on 30x but i has no issues shooting steel with it at any range. The turrets are crisp and stiff. The glass is way better than good enough. I love the simple zero stop and no tool turret removal. Lots to like! My only knock is 15 MOA per revolution. The presale ends November 15!!

4cefd42991426f9dce343d8641b33574.jpeg

My buddy Scott made a great 700 yard shot with the RS.3
586723b76dac0a4048de71f62b9900c2.jpeg

Kelly with a heart shot at 650 yards on a very windy day.
9b061b66d0f66f3e8a4dc88aa46fa9ce.jpg

It’s was around 7 degrees right after Scott shot his bull.
34a3fcbf79226e29845c7814cbebc0eb.jpg

Checking dope
1c84acb1d07984934688bdeab89ecdbe.jpg

Practice!
02e03a1e96f7a7f8e74ebeea29652e64.jpg

You can see here how compact it is against the X5 and NX8.
92343b85cd3d2774edeceb1dc983a167.jpg

Shooting way out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I thought it had capped windage, but I’m figuring out I was wrong there.

I hear you on the 15 MOA turret; I wish it were 20. And I wish they would have done a black and grey model, not a big fan of the silver’ish accent stuff.

I’m going to order one and see if it’s as good as the price looks!

Lonald

FNG
Maven is about to launch for pre-order a new rifle scope called the RS.3. It's a 5-30x variable scope with a 30mm tube and a 50mm objective lens that tips the scale at 26.5 ounces. I've had this scope mounted on my Lane Precision Rifles test rifle for more than a month and I've put it through some initial tests. At this point it's been flawless is dialing and returning to zero. I'm sure @Ryan Avery will chime in as he had a hand in the development of this optic and has had a test scope for a while now.

If you are interested in this scope, visit Maven Built on October 15th for all the specs and to pre-order with $300 off the regular price until November 15th. In the mean time, I'll be using this scope for a couple elk hunts and mule deer hunts to continue the process of real-world testing.

View attachment 126346
View attachment 126349
Thanks