Maven RS2 vs Vortex Viper HS

jerm8352

Lil-Rokslider
I am looking at getting either a Maven RS2 2-10 or Vortex Viper HS 2.5-10. Looking for any insight on these two rifle scopes. Looking to put one or the other on a 30.06 for elk hunting out to 400 yards. I have a bunch of other vortex scopes and like them but I have heard good things about Maven and like that they are a Wyoming company. Not sure about the eye relief or the SHR reticle on the Maven.

Thanks.

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Have you considered the Athlon Optics Helos BTR GEN2 2-12x42
  • First Focal Plane Reticle: First focal plane design allows you to fully utilize specially designed reticles that shrink or grow along with your target as you zoom in or out. These reticles offer quick target engagement at low power while offering precise holdover positions with finer details.
  • Locking Turrets: Locking feature on both elevation and windage turrets allows you to simply pull up the turrets to dial and push down the turrets to lock them in place. This feature gives you a peaceful mind whether you are moving from one station to next during your competition or putting them away for your next hunting trip.
  • Illuminated Reticle: The illuminated reticle provides greater visibility during dusk and dawn and other low ambient light environment.
  • Etched Glass Reticle: Reticle etched on the glass that provides excellent backing support for complex reticle design and offers great durability and much higher shock resistance to recoil
  • Advanced Fully Multicoated: Fully Multicoated optics effectively reduces reflected light and increases the transmission of light giving you a brighter image than normal single coated lenses
  • 6061 T6 Aluminum: The 6061T6 aircraft grade aluminum tube that has exceptional strength and superior mechanical integrity will protect these world class optics no matter what punishment you throw at it.
  • Heat Treated One Piece Tube Construction: Heat treated one piece tube gives the scope extra strength over multi-piece tubes. A one piece tube also is better at keeping moisture out thus keeping your scope fog proof for the life of the product
  • Waterproof: Waterproof to protect the scope in the harshest weather conditions or if accidentally submerged underwater
  • Fog proof: Fog proof to allow you to immediately engage your target when you take your rifle to cold ambient temperature from warm inside
  • Shockproof: Robust mechanical system with special designs on both control and erector system that give you the ultimate recoil resistance to withstand 1000G recoil for 1000 times.
  • Argon Purged: Argon Purging uses the inertia gas with bigger size molecules to purge any moisture out of the tube giving you better waterproofing and thermal stability .

OP
J

jerm8352

Lil-Rokslider
I have had bad experiences with turrets (Leupold cds) and really don’t shoot far enough for it to matter. I just like having a bdc that I can just aim and shoot especially since I don’t want to shoot over 400.

I’d avoid the Viper HS. Glass is fair at best and the quality is suspect.

Mine worked fine until a baggage handler killed it on a trip back from Alberta. Tried to reset the zero and couldn’t dial enough elevation to get to 100. Reset the scope per the vendor instructions, remounted it and tried to reset zero. No luck even when dialing enough elevation for 780 yards.

Sent it in for repair and was told the scope is fine. Was told they even mounted it and was able to set the zero at 100 yards. They were kind enough to ship it back to me with the exact number of clicks (elevation) for 780 yards; they were either super diligent or blowing smoke. Reset the scope per their instructions, remounted it and still couldn’t dial enough elevation to get to 100. Scope has long since been discarded.

ORfish

Lil-Rokslider
I would not recommend getting a scope in 2021 without Illuminated reticle and a zero stop on turret. Scopes have come a long way and no sense getting a 1960's style one. Maven is not a USA scope, just a rebadged Japanese one. Leupold VX-3 HD is the best USA value you will probably find.

The maven glass is nice and it's very light weight. I found the eye relief to be a bit short. And the BDC reticle subtensions I felt were impractical for hunting.

The viper HS line is solid and has nice features for the $. Glass is good, prob slightly less so than the maven, but good enough for the average eye. The HS scopes are all heavier, at least compared to the 2-10 maven, and they have 30mm tubes. So if you're counting ounces the Vipers will be stouter.

nksmfamjp

FNG
I had the Viper HS 4-16. I found it to be great for what it is. It is optically very clear, had crisp repeatable turrets. I never had an issue at the range or in the field. Nice and light too.

I sold mine due to wanting an SFP reticle and cap less turrets with zero stop.

pc3

WKR
I have a couple of gen 1 PST's in 2.5-10x32 the glass in these little scopes is pretty darn good "almost" as good as the little NXS 2.5-10x32 I have.

This model G1 PST was supposedly the best of that Gen 1. The zero stop is rudimentary (shim system) but the clicks are solid and it "seems" tough" I believe the scope your talking about only lacks illumination , but its basically the same thing in a different mag range.

A friend also has a HS viper and it has not let him down to date

Cant comment on the Maven

OP
J

jerm8352

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the replies. Also started looking at the sig sierra 3. Not sure what I think about all the technology but the ability to set up your own bdc would be pretty awesome. Any other options like this?

I would go with a maven rs2 over a vortex viper hs any day. She reticle worked well for me.

I've got one listed in the classifieds, fyi

OP
J

jerm8352

Lil-Rokslider
Have you considered the Athlon Optics Helos BTR GEN2 2-12x42
  • First Focal Plane Reticle: First focal plane design allows you to fully utilize specially designed reticles that shrink or grow along with your target as you zoom in or out. These reticles offer quick target engagement at low power while offering precise holdover positions with finer details.
  • Locking Turrets: Locking feature on both elevation and windage turrets allows you to simply pull up the turrets to dial and push down the turrets to lock them in place. This feature gives you a peaceful mind whether you are moving from one station to next during your competition or putting them away for your next hunting trip.
  • Illuminated Reticle: The illuminated reticle provides greater visibility during dusk and dawn and other low ambient light environment.
  • Etched Glass Reticle: Reticle etched on the glass that provides excellent backing support for complex reticle design and offers great durability and much higher shock resistance to recoil
  • Advanced Fully Multicoated: Fully Multicoated optics effectively reduces reflected light and increases the transmission of light giving you a brighter image than normal single coated lenses
  • 6061 T6 Aluminum: The 6061T6 aircraft grade aluminum tube that has exceptional strength and superior mechanical integrity will protect these world class optics no matter what punishment you throw at it.
  • Heat Treated One Piece Tube Construction: Heat treated one piece tube gives the scope extra strength over multi-piece tubes. A one piece tube also is better at keeping moisture out thus keeping your scope fog proof for the life of the product
  • Waterproof: Waterproof to protect the scope in the harshest weather conditions or if accidentally submerged underwater
  • Fog proof: Fog proof to allow you to immediately engage your target when you take your rifle to cold ambient temperature from warm inside
  • Shockproof: Robust mechanical system with special designs on both control and erector system that give you the ultimate recoil resistance to withstand 1000G recoil for 1000 times.
  • Argon Purged: Argon Purging uses the inertia gas with bigger size molecules to purge any moisture out of the tube giving you better waterproofing and thermal stability .
Never even heard of them. What is there warranty like? I am looking for something with bdc maybe mil dot or similar. I just want to have a line that I know is a certain yardage point and shoot. I won’t shoot over 400 so lots of adjustability etc is of no use to me. I haven’t used a ffp scope before and honestly not sure what I would think of such a small reticle when shooting close/ off hand at close game. I also started looking at the sig sauer bdx line. Not sure how I feel about all of the technology and afraid of it not working on a cold cow elk hunt but being able to basically set up your own bdc dots seems like exactly what I want. Saw someone say something about a meopta with mil dots and maybe that would work too. Just looking to spend 500-700 and be able to say this dot is roughly 200, this one is roughly 300 and this is roughly 400 without using turrets.

GMB54-120

Lil-Rokslider
I love 2-10s but they can be a bear to find these days without a huge price tag attached. Natchez has some Whiskey 5s in 2-10x42 for under $600. Its another pretty well made Japanese scope. Sometimes they have the Veracity 2-10 for about $350 also.