MAVEN S.2 Spotting Scope Review **Update 11/29 with final review**

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
Maven has entered the micro spotter market with the new S.2 spotting scope. It's a tiny 12-27 x 56mm scope that weighs in at 34 ounces.
MAVEN S.2 Spotting Scope

Robby and I are going to tag team this review. I will use it this fall on some of my hunts and Robby will do a side by side comparison with other smaller spotters.

***Edit 11/29***
The final review is complete. Maven S.2 Spotting Scope Review

OP
Tony Trietch

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
I spent some time with the S.2 and even ran it next to my Swarovski STX 65. The little Maven holds its ground pretty well for a scope that cost almost a quarter of what the Swaro will run you. Is it going to replace my STX? No, but there might be a niche for this little guy in my hunt lineup.
There are some hunts that I don't like to carry a full size spotter for weight reasons and this S.2 is going on those hunts with me this fall.
I will let you know how it performs in the field.

DBARDSLEY

FNG
I love the mavens! Hands down awesome program if you can afford the glass. But the purpose maven cuts out the middle man is so you get the quality of glass like Swarovski but no middle man markup, straight from manufacturer to consumer! If anyone gets a chance to look through a maven don't hesitate.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Hey Roksliders. Tony sent me the S.2 to run it through some of my tests before he takes it on some of his hunts.

I spent about 4 hours the last two days putting the S.2 against another good spotter in the compact class, the Nikon Fieldscope 13-30x50.

I tested Depth-of Field, Field-of-View, Edge-to-Edge, Eye Relief, Twilight Performance, Resolution, and a few other performance criteria. It’s all in this 6-minute video.

I think Tony will be happy with this scope. I’ll be running the Nikon on a few of my hunts so I’ll have a Q&A thread in the optics forum on it, just FYI

Here’s a pic of that buck I used to test resolving power on a few cheaters. The quality is low as it’s shot through an iPhone on high magnification—the scope is much clearer than what is shown—but you get the idea:8E184D36-91AC-40A5-829D-CA7CDBA28001.jpeg60004BED-F0B5-4D46-9C1F-58A720898465.jpeg

Last edited:

Block

WKR
I’d like to see it compared to that Kowa 550 series,,, prolly guna swoop one of those up. Borrowed a Maven spotter for an Az hunt this past winter and it was great aside from low light conditions...Big struggle there...

junior

WKR
^^ agreed. I have the TSN-554 and have a hard time seeing these top it. But I also realize its about double the cost as well

OP
Tony Trietch

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
With the fairly limited magnification of the S2, I'd be curious to see how it performs with the doubler that they offer. For an extra $30 it could really double the versatility of this scope.
So what’s the doubler supposed to add? I haven’t truly looked into this? I’d love to see a review of someone running it?