Maven S.2 Thoughts?

OP
Rodéo

Rodéo

WKR
I pre-ordered one, I’ll let y’all know what I think when it comes in. I have a Leica 77mm if I need it, this will get carried a lot more that’s for sure. I can also get away with a lighter tripod.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Glad to hear it. Looking forward to your thoughts on it.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Yeah, I'd look at the Opticron 60mm in that price/weight range.

The maven glass I'm sure is nicer but the opticron doesn't suck, just depends on use. Being able to change around the eyepieces is nice also, I've got a wide angle fixed I can toss onto mine also. I've got a straight 50mm I like, selling my angled 60mm as decided I prefer straight, otherwise wouldn't mind a straight 60mm but not running out the door to spend money, the 50mm does a lot for it size.

Blue72

WKR
I think the magnification range is fine. It’s only 56mm. Anything below a 2mm exit pupil tends to just make the image bigger but you don’t see any additional detail. Plus 27x -30x is often the limit when dealing with mirages at long distances sometimes you need even less. That’s why military sniper spotting scopes were only 20x. In addition you can use a lighter smaller tripod since it’s not sensitive to vibration at these magnifications

Everybody loves the Nikon ed50 but that scope also reaches its limits around 27x

The only drawback of the maven is the weight

Bones

WKR
I think the magnification range is fine. It’s only 56mm. Anything below a 2mm exit pupil tends to just make the image bigger but you don’t see any additional detail. Plus 27x -30x is often the limit when dealing with mirages at long distances sometimes you need even less. That’s why military sniper spotting scopes were only 20x. In addition you can use a lighter smaller tripod since it’s not sensitive to vibration at these magnifications

Everybody loves the Nikon ed50 but that scope also reaches its limits around 27x

The only drawback of the maven is the weight
Yeah, the weight did hinder me from looking closer.

I think most people like the Nikon with the upgraded eyepiece that took it to higher mag. I compared the vortex and Nikon side by side, and the vortex was much, much better as light started to fade.

Blue72

WKR
Yeah, the weight did hinder me from looking closer.

I think most people like the Nikon with the upgraded eyepiece that took it to higher mag. I compared the vortex and Nikon side by side, and the vortex was much, much better as light started to fade.

I think it depends on end user eyeballs and product sample variations

I have seen it go both ways on the razor vs ed50 reviews

I also seen many birders push their ed50 magnification over 50x with Astro eyepieces. But many agree of the brightness loss starting at 27x. I know I prefer a fixed wide angle 20x in my 50.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
OK Roksliders, in true Rokslide form we're gonna put this spotter through the paces. Starting with @Tony Trietch...he just received this new little powerhouse (hopefully it's a powerhouse) and will be lighting this thread up as soon as he can, then with updates as he uses it prep for elk season (if it makes his gear list). At some point, he's gonna send it to me and I'll hit the optics chart with it, along with some of the other spotters in this class (@Ryan Avery , do you really have the lightweight KOWA?, If so, I know you hate post offices, but get it to Southern Idaho so I can include it in this test.)

Once I'm done, I'll send the scope back to Tony and he'll continue use until he feels he can submit a full review.

How's that for service?

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
This thing is tiny!! I’ll get an adapter for my phoneskope so I can share pics with everybody.
It seems to be built like everything else Maven has brought to market. Dial and focus are tight but not stiff and cosmetic details are well done. I’ll get it outside ASAP.

2331b054d477e526a9fc68abc14c2cd5.jpg

87cb51e456d31cb514d45f3227fbc1a0.jpg
cfba16eae580fe4ce5cc8aab998384f1.jpg

4533a5ff0630f132e51d5da3bbf3dd8c.jpg

7e4ec0997b90599b3c0cf9902f60a766.jpg

tdhanses

WKR
This thing is tiny!! I’ll get an adapter for my phoneskope so I can share pics with everybody.
It seems to be built like everything else Maven has brought to market. Dial and focus are tight but not stiff and cosmetic details are well done. I’ll get it outside ASAP.

2331b054d477e526a9fc68abc14c2cd5.jpg

87cb51e456d31cb514d45f3227fbc1a0.jpg
cfba16eae580fe4ce5cc8aab998384f1.jpg

4533a5ff0630f132e51d5da3bbf3dd8c.jpg

7e4ec0997b90599b3c0cf9902f60a766.jpg

If you like it you need to get a KDC tripod and Outdoorsmans panner for it.

prm

WKR
Quick, need a first impression before the pre-order savings goes away! ;)

Edit: never mind. Showing as sold out now.

Still look forward to reports on performance.

Edit edit: they showed as available again. Rolled the dice and pre-ordered one.

Last edited:

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
If you like it you need to get a KDC tripod and Outdoorsmans panner for it.

That would be a crazy ul set up... might be exactly what I try

Quick, need a first impression before the pre-order savings goes away! ;)

Edit: never mind. Showing as sold out now.

Still look forward to reports on performance.

Edit edit: they showed as available again. Rolled the dice and pre-ordered one.

Sorry I didn't see your message until this morning, glad you got it ordered before the pre-sale ended.

Reactions: prm

prm

WKR
Does anyone recall when Maven was shipping the pre-order S.2s? I was thinking first week of Jun, but not certain and it doesn't say on the website anymore.

I have had both a mini razor and kowa tsn 553. This scope fixed my complaint with fov on the kowa. The glass is very clean and is on point with the kowa. I have been watching a vulture pick detailed feathers off its back at 380 yards. It feels rock solid and has a solid focus and magnification adjustment. Really wish it was angles with a micro wheel but its growing on me. Ill get it up the hills soon to see how the 27x feels at extended range.
6926c7d43de403287cad1d4a9612f0d2.jpg

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
I have had both a mini razor and kowa tsn 553. This scope fixed my complaint with fov on the kowa. The glass is very clean and is on point with the kowa. I have been watching a vulture pick detailed feathers off its back at 380 yards. It feels rock solid and has a solid focus and magnification adjustment. Really wish it was angles with a micro wheel but its growing on me. Ill get it up the hills soon to see how the 27x feels at extended range.
6926c7d43de403287cad1d4a9612f0d2.jpg

What was your complaint with the Kowa fov? I have not used the Kowa and am curious what you thought.

What was your complaint with the Kowa fov? I have not used the Kowa and am curious what you thought.
I had a hard time quickly finding my target. I often had to re aim, engage the scope, and still swim around looking for the spot. The eye cup was a cheap rubber flip out and too small for good purchase with my novagrade to digiscope. It would have been perfect if it started at 15-35 with a nicer fat eye cup.

I returned my S.2 to Maven. I was not impressed with the glass and didn’t feel like it had a place in my kit. The 27x max is pretty limiting. I’m also not a fan of the barrel focus, I much prefer the micro focus like my Leica and the kowa have.

I have obtained the pre order S.2. My thought process was that $750 was a steal, I don't currently have a spotting scope, my binos are 8x32 and I like to backpack hunt. Pretty much anything that I have read negative is related to the 27 power and its limits. What was going through my head was that I wanted the most versatile glass possible. I am going to have to do a few test runs, but I might even drop the binos from the kit all together this season and just bring the S2 and a carbon fiber tripod. Thoughts?

Keep in mind my budget is pretty much blown, I have a rifle 10x scope that I got from my grandpa. 2018, I actually just went iron sights with the 30.06 and got a Bull and a Muley on public lands (in retrospect, might have been a miracle).

prm

WKR
I would personally keep the 8x32s for looking through timber. Two eyes are much easier.