Maven S.2 Thoughts?

OP
Rodéo

Rodéo

WKR
I have obtained the pre order S.2. My thought process was that $750 was a steal, I don't currently have a spotting scope, my binos are 8x32 and I like to backpack hunt. Pretty much anything that I have read negative is related to the 27 power and its limits. What was going through my head was that I wanted the most versatile glass possible. I am going to have to do a few test runs, but I might even drop the binos from the kit all together this season and just bring the S2 and a carbon fiber tripod. Thoughts?

Keep in mind my budget is pretty much blown, I have a rifle 10x scope that I got from my grandpa. 2018, I actually just went iron sights with the 30.06 and got a Bull and a Muley on public lands (in retrospect, might have been a miracle).
Still haven't laid eyes on (or through) the S.2 but the reviews haven't been great. Good glass is seems but pretty limited use cases. I think I'd stick with the 8x32 if I were you since they are more versatile. If budget is a concern and you want a little more magnification and are willing to save up for a spotter for next season, you could try to sell your current 8x32 and pick up a 10x42 configuration. The only reason I run a spotter right now on most of my hunts is because I'm running 8x42 binos on my chest. The magnification that comes with a spotter is useful but doesn't replace the utility of binos imo.

prm

WKR
I did have a chance to compare my Razor HD to the S.2.

The build quality of the S.2 seems great and the fit and finish were flawless. I really like the form factor. Having something that fits easily into my pack makes me likelier to actually carry it.

I live up on a mountain and have a great view to the horizon 27mi away. Among countless other things to view, there are a few horse farms, with black rail fences and the occasional whitetail deer located at roughly 1.5mi away. There are fields and wood lines with smaller objects that allow me to compare viewing in the bright light or in the shadows. All of this provides a great variety for comparing optics.

When viewing, the adjustable eyecup is excellent. It worked well with or without glasses and stayed in place when adjusted. Combined with the eye relief, viewing with the S.2 was very easy. I was always able to adjust it and see the entire FOV easily.
The focus wheel is not my favorite, but it works. It is fairly stiff to turn, so the scope was not steady when mounted on a tripod and attempting fine adjustments. I had to move it a little, then let go and look to see if it was focused. Then repeat this 4-5 times until I was happy I had it focused. If it were a little easier to turn perhaps the spotter could remain steady while turning allowing for one continuous adjustment while viewing. Again, it works and the design enhances the form factor, but it’s not as easy to fine tune as having a very light fine adjustment wheel like the Razor. If the S.2 had a separate fine adjustment wheel that would be genius.
The glass. I have mixed thoughts here. If looking purely at resolution, such as identifying letters on an eye chart, it did quite well. I was able to see details such as a fly mask on a horse, the letters marking a dressage arena or parts on a tractor rather well. Again, typically 1.25-1.75mi away. The overall scene though had a white tinted almost milky look to it. Now, I am in VA and we do have humidity which certainly plays a part. Looking through other optics such as the Razor and some rifle scopes I saw a similar effect, but it was more pronounced with the S.2. It created a whitish ring near the outer edge of the FOV. There’s probably an optical term for that. It was less pronounced at lower zoom levels, but always more pronounced than other optics at a similar zoom. About 25min after sunset I saw a small light about 1.5mi away and was able to focus it to a very fine point light with the Razor. With the S.2 there was a small flare off the light I could not get rid of. I really wish I had another S.2 to compare to.

That’s some observations from last night and this morning.

Last edited:
OP
Rodéo

Rodéo

WKR
I did have a chance to compare my Razor HD to the S.2.

The build quality of the S.2 seems great and the fit and finish were flawless. I really like the form factor. Having something that fits easily into my pack makes me likelier to actually carry it.

I live up on a mountain and have a great view to the horizon 27mi away. There are a few horse farms, with black rail fences and the occasional whitetail deer located at roughly 1.5mi away. There are fields and wood lines with smaller objects that allow me to compare viewing in the bright light or in the shadows. All of this provides a great variety for comparing optics.

When viewing, the adjustable eyecup is excellent. It worked well with or without glasses and stayed in place when adjusted. Combined with the eye relief, viewing with the S.2 was very easy. I was always able to adjust it and see the entire FOV easily.
The focus wheel is not my favorite, but it works. It is fairly stiff to turn, so the scope was not steady when mounted on a tripod and making fine adjustments. I had to move it a little, then let go and look to see if it was focused. Then repeat this until I was happy. If it were a little easier to turn perhaps the spotter could remain steady while turning. Again, it works, but it’s not as easy as having a fine adjustment wheel like the Razor.
The glass. I have mixed thoughts here. If looking purely at resolution, such as an eye chart, it did quite well. I was able to see details such as a fly mask on a horse, or parts on a tractor rather well. The overall scene though had a white tinted almost milky look to it. Now, I am in VA and we do have humidity which certainly plays a part. Looking through other optics such as the Razor and some rifle scopes I saw a similar effect, but it was more pronounced with the S.2. It created a whitish ring near the outer edge of the FOV. There’s probably an optical term for that. It was less pronounced at lower zoom levels, but always more pronounced than other optics at a similar zoom. About 25min after sunset I saw a small light about 1.5mi away and was able to focus it to a very fine point light with the Razor. With the S.2 there was a small flare off the light I could not get rid of. I really wish I had another S.2 to compare to.
That’s some observations from last night and this morning.
Thanks for the write up and time!