Maven vs Zeiss

Maven ca Zeiss

• Total voters

KSArcher06

Lil-Rokslider
Hey guys I think I’ve narrowed my search on my next set of binos to the maven B110x42 or the Zeiss conquest 10x42. Still deciding but just seeing what everyone thinks of these 2 thanks

bird35

FNG
I have never messed with the conquest and have only looked through the B1 a couple times. From what i gather from other threads here on Rokslide and some on Birdfourms they are both made by Kamakura in Japan. They have similar specs and price as i am sure you are well aware of. I have a pair of Tract toric 10x42 that are supposed to be very similar to the conquest and i really like them. I dont think you can really go wrong with either choice. I like the maven products i do own.

Last edited:

FrankAbagnale

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve never used the B1 but I have the conquest and have been extremely happy with them.

I have never messed with the conquest and have only looked through the B1 a couple times. From what i gather from other threads here on Rokslide and some on Birdfourms they are both made by Kamakura in Japan. They have similar specs and price as i am sure you are well aware of. I have a pair of Tract toric 10x42 that are supposed to be very similar to the conquest and i really like them. I dont think you can really go wrong with either choice. I like the maven products i do own.
According to Zeiss, although the original Zeiss Conquest Binoculars were made in Hungary, since 2007 they’ve been made in Wetzlar, Germany. This was also confirmed by one of the Zeiss reps who is a well-known regular on the bird forums. Now that doesn’t mean that 100% of the components are made there, but the majority of the product’s value must have been created there to sell in the USA with a Made in Germany label.

Anyway, having spent some time with the Conquest HD, side-by-side with FLs and SFs, they certainly have the brightness and cooler tones of a genuine Zeiss Product. Their overall view is superb for the $1k and under pricepoint. Don’t have any experience with the Tract, but I’ve owned the Maven B2’s and compared them against multiple Zeiss binoculars. The Zeiss were definitely brighter, but the Mavens were also a solid binocular with very good optics. There are things I like and don’t like about both the Conquests and Mavens. Would strongly recommend trying both before buying.

bird35

FNG
According to Zeiss, although the original Zeiss Conquest Binoculars were made in Hungary, since 2007 they’ve been made in Wetzlar, Germany. This was also confirmed by one of the Zeiss reps who is a well-known regular on the bird forums. Now that doesn’t mean that 100% of the components are made there, but the majority of the product’s value must have been created there to sell in the USA with a Made in Germany label.

Anyway, having spent some time with the Conquest HD, side-by-side with FLs and SFs, they certainly have the brightness and cooler tones of a genuine Zeiss Product. Their overall view is superb for the $1k and under pricepoint. Don’t have any experience with the Tract, but I’ve owned the Maven B2’s and compared them against multiple Zeiss binoculars. The Zeiss were definitely brighter, but the Mavens were also a solid binocular with very good optics. There are things I like and don’t like about both the Conquests and Mavens. Would strongly recommend trying both before buying.
Here is a screen shot of a member on birdfourm claiming the opposite And claiming their source was a rep also.There is definitely some confusion as to where they are made. Either way saying they are made by Kamakura is not me trying to point out something negative. Now I'm even more curious where they are actually made.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210503-083546_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210503-083546_Chrome.jpg
    196.8 KB · Views: 92

Steve C

Lil-Rokslider
The birdforum screenshot is a Dutch dealer who originally posted the Conquest was/is Japanese. He wound up kicking Zeiss out of his store for some time over Zeiss's obdurate insistence they were German. The guy knows his stuff. In EU laws, a product needs to be only 10% made in a country to be able to legally carry a made in that country label. For example Zeiss could take delivery oif partially assembled binoculars and do enough work to make them a functional. Things like attaching the focus wheel, putting on the armor, or installing the eye cups, all followed by a QC check prior to boxing. When somebody says..."but is says Made in Germany right on the box"...the box may well have been made there. It can be an endeavor fit for the likes of Sherlock Holmes to figure everything out.

As for feel and weight differences, these can be attributed to different frame housings and different armor all the while containing an identical optical system, which will only differ in terms of coatings etc.

The Conquest, as from what developed in the BF thread, was a Zeiss design contracted to Kamakura under Zeiss contract specifications. Just remember the Schmidt-Pechan prism system of the vast majority of roof prism binoculars appeared in 1899. Everything that can be don with a 19th century design has likely been done.

Like others, I advise you to look at both. They are not enough optically different to matter any. I have the Maven, but would be perfectly happy with a Conquest. Anything that can be blasted off a stump, not once but twice wth a 12 gauge has something going for it I suppose.

620C1F21-3886-42E2-8D20-F6E6AA786F4A.jpeg

With the explosion of Asian manufacturing and competition driving companies to often change where things are made, there is a plethora of misinformation all over the internet. It is always best to do some research to confirm.

Example:
  • Vortex Razor was first made in Japan, then moved to China, then the UHD was manufactured in Japan.
  • German Precision Optics are designed by GPO, outsourced OEM components that are assembled and QA’d in Germany, but they DO NOT carry a “Made in Germany” label when sold in the USA.
  • Leica Ultravid HD+ and Noctovid are made in Germany, but the Trinovid and their rangefinders are made in Portugal (some of the electronic components may be further outsourced).
  • Zeiss Victory and Conquest HDs are made in Germany, but the budget Terra line are outsourced and made in China and Japan.
Although I’ve seen continued and often varied speculation on bird forums about Conquest HD’s place of manufacture, I’ve never witnessed any Industry PRO or Zeiss Rep clearly state that the Conquest’s optical system is made by Kamakuru or anywhere other than Zeiss in Germany (as declared by Zeiss). US law is very different from the EU in this regard. For a product sold in the USA, it must have received the majority of it’s fabrication value where it claims to have been made.

I called Zeiss Consumer Products today and confirmed = the current line of Conquest HD Binoculars are made in Germany. The rep was very specific when asked if the Conquest HD was fabricated by Kamakura and assembled in Germany with a very firm “no.” He went on to say that all of the Conquest HD’s critical components were made in Germany. I asked if all of the lenses were German to which he responded that the Conquest has 16 lenses and a host of optical components, most of which are engineered and manufactured in Germany, but that a few do come from Schott Glass facilities in Asia. In addition, he added that some of the Conquest HD’s housing components are outsourced from Japan. So, it is a German designed/engineered and a mainly German manufactured binocular that is built, QA’d, and serviced by Zeiss in Germany (in contrast, the Maven is outsourced manufacture). He finally added that Victory Series Binoculars are made completely in-house, in Germany. Bottom line is the Conquest HDs are a true Zeiss Optic and in my personal comparisons with the FL and SF series, it shows. Their optical quality in the $1K and under category is exceptional. Today, it is the optical quality standard that almost every other glass in that category is compared to.

Personally, I love the Conquest’s view and focus knob, but am not a huge fan of the housing, diopter and especially the size/weight in the 32mm class. Since this was a comparison of the Maven and Zeiss, I’d have to say I slightly prefer the HDs optically, but the handling and construction of the Mavens. As has already been said - if possible, try both before buying.

BTW - no matter how many times I see it, really enjoy that Indestructible Conquest Video.

OP
K

KSArcher06

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you everyone for all your great input!! It looks like I’ll be trying both side by side. I wasn’t expecting this much help. Thanks again

Having tried both, I liked the feel of the conquest hd better and the color popped more to my eyes. That would be my recommendation, zeiss conquest hd.

Honyock

WKR
For the money, the Zeiss open box/demos from Europtics and Red Hawk Rifles may be the best value in binos that there is. Picked up a Conquest HD 10x42 for $750. I don't think you will find a better value.

FrankAbagnale

Lil-Rokslider
For the money, the Zeiss open box/demos from Europtics and Red Hawk Rifles may be the best value in binos that there is. Picked up a Conquest HD 10x42 for $750. I don't think you will find a better value.
100% agreed. I bought my zeiss from red hawk.

This is the sort of information I appreciate about this site. Still not sure if I will go with Zeiss or Maven, but I appreciate everyone's input for consideration.

Behall

FNG
This is the sort of information I appreciate about this site. Still not sure if I will go with Zeiss or Maven, but I appreciate everyone's input for consideration.
Just listed a pair of Mavens B1 10 x 42s in the classified section if you decide to go that route.