Maven's CRS Riflescopes Jan2022 Release

Erik, I really love my B.1 10x42s. On a recent muley hunt in Idaho, they were fantastic and I felt that my buddy's Leicas had nothing on them optically.

ErikT

FNG
Ronnie- Cool. Thanks for the input! Based on the review here on Rokslide they seem to be a great option for the price. I've hunted out west a few times in the past but this will be the first time purchasing higher-end optics and gear specifically for western hunting.

Same. I had been running Vortex Diamondbacks so it was a big step up. I did originally get some used Leupold BX-3 Mojaves in 10x42 and quite liked them, especially at the price. They can be had for under $300 used, and honestly, they're not all that far behind the Mavens, IMO. I only got the Mavens bc they were on sale, and am glad I did, but I wasn't exactly blown away by the difference. They do excel a little over the Leupolds in lower light and I found the Mavens to be easier on my eyes.

Not to derail the thread or anything...

OP
sndmn11

sndmn11

WKR
Excellent article and review!

Now I have to decide between the CRS.2 and the RS.1. I am setting up a 1984 vintage Smith & Wesson 1500

Any advice on a mounting system options for either of these scopes on a 1500 action would be appreciated. I see the author was running a pic rail and vertical Warne mounts. I am not a fan of the aesthetic of vertical mounts for some reason but any advice on specific mounts and ring options would be appreciated.

I have pic rails and rings because I have more scopes than rifles and move things around. I also (usually) sight in two scopes on my main rifle before a rifle hunt, as well as bring an extra scoped rifle. With pic rails this makes everything pretty simple and repeatable.

If I were to have one scope dedicated to a rifle I would look to a ring/mount combo such as Talley lightweights or, on a Tikka, the sportsmatch rings. I also do not much like the vertical rings I used in this testing, but they were on hand. They are being replaced with Talley modern sporting rings, but I would not be afraid to use Warne mountain tech, Seekins (miday has their 1"), or American Rifle Company. Again, if a dedicated rifle/scope combo were your goal, the mount/ring combo would be a fair choice and likely save a few ounces.

If you do get these, pay attention when mounting because the front mount is different than the rear mount to accommodate the mismatched contours of that action. https://www.talleymanufacturing.com/product/howa-1500-scope-mounts/

The CRS.2 and the RS.1 are pretty different scopes from their spec sheets. My lone experience with Maven's riflescopes is the former, so I can't be much help on that decision.

I couldn't bring myself to spend alot of money for rings on my rimfires and tried out a couple sets of these Warne horizontal rings.
They can be had for around $50.
So far I've been very impressed fit and finish seems great and they required no lapping when mounted on a quality rail.
20220106_104259.jpg

OP
sndmn11

sndmn11

WKR
OP
sndmn11

sndmn11

WKR
I couldn't bring myself to spend alot of money for rings on my rimfires and tried out a couple sets of these Warne horizontal rings.
They can be had for around $50.
So far I've been very impressed fit and finish seems great and they required no lapping when mounted on a quality rail.
I think those will do you well.

Du,h, I see that now. <insertfacepalmemoji>
The biggest complaint is they do not list the height like every other manufacturer.
They list a range of bell sizes that should work with each height.
So the mediums worked great on my marlin with Weaver bases.
But I wish I had gone lows with the t1x as the rail is higher.

OP
sndmn11

sndmn11

WKR
The biggest complaint is they do not list the height like every other manufacturer.
They list a range of bell sizes that should work with each height.
So the mediums worked great on my marlin with Weaver bases.
But I wish I had gone lows with the t1x as the rail is higher.
The specifications tab on each maxima ring's product page has the height from rail top to the bottom of scope.

Going to be a great scope in that price range. Will be getting one with the parallax to add to my rs3. Spotter and b2 binos.

jonhans

FNG
Thoughts on the crs.1 versus other comparable priced scopes? Leupold vx3hd, viper hst, meopta, etc. I’m needing to make a decision and want a no frills, simple reticle, 2x12ish magnification range. Reliable, durable, good low light glass….so many options out there these days🤪

I’m very close to pulling the trigger on the RS.2 and CRS.1. Seems like a good cost and weight savings over the Leupold and Vortex’s I was considering.

OP
sndmn11

sndmn11

WKR
Thoughts on the crs.1 versus other comparable priced scopes? Leupold vx3hd, viper hst, meopta, etc. I’m needing to make a decision and want a no frills, simple reticle, 2x12ish magnification range. Reliable, durable, good low light glass….so many options out there these days🤪

I have personally used Leupold vx3i, but none of what you listed. Each one I had went back for erector issues.

The 300wsm the CRS.2 is mounted on right now is the hardest recoiling rifle we have, and also is the only non-braked rifle we have. It is my brother's rifle because I don't like shooting it, but he does. I don't have any reservations about him hunting with that scope and as far as I am concerned that box is checked for things that need squared away.

ErikT

FNG
Update:
I stopped by the Maven booth at the Great Outdoors show in Harrisburg PA. Met the Maven crew there including the VP. They were all super nice/friendly/knowledgeable/helpful.
I ended up with the CRS.1 and also picked up a pair of B1.2 10x42 binos and a pair of C.2 binos in 7x28 for local use. Looking forward to setting up the scope on my .270.

Anyone concerned about the short eye relief on the Maven scopes? I am really liking the FOV & super low weight on the RS1 but really don't want to get smashed in the eye... It would go on a Tikka 6.5CM unbraked.

OP
sndmn11

sndmn11

WKR
Anyone concerned about the short eye relief on the Maven scopes? I am really liking the FOV & super low weight on the RS1 but really don't want to get smashed in the eye... It would go on a Tikka 6.5CM unbraked.
That CRS.2 has been on my brothers 6.5lb 300WSM, unbraked, for 109 shots if my mathing is correct. He hasn't been dinged yet.

Last edited: