Maven’s New Rangefinder RF.1 ***Review Added 5/3/21***

Geewhiz

WKR
Got mine the other day. Haven’t had a chance to take it out into the hills and range critters yet but I did climb up onto the roof the other evening and try it out. Not a lot of elevation around my house. Neighbors probly thought I was a creep.

It was evening with some cloud cover, conditions were fairly ideal but so far i like what I’m seeing. About all I had to range was hayfields and brush/cottonwoods. It seamed to pick up just about anything under 2000 yards every time. Furthest range I got was 4057 on some willow brush after a few tries. That’s a long freaking way. All freehand btw.

Vossman5

FNG
Waiting to see an in depth review. Seems like the best bang for your buck even compared to the sale prices you get from the razor 4000hd

VASolocam

FNG
Following up on the pouches for this rangefinder. I ordered the outdoor vision pouch. I found it to be an extremely tight fit. I could force it to fit but was unable to remove it or replace it without using two hands. The magnetic to did not close reliably with the rangefinder in place. I am very hopeful that the new marsupial great pouch will be the ticket. Loving the rangefinder. The display is so clear for those of us with older eyes.

Sled

WKR
Following up on the pouches for this rangefinder. I ordered the outdoor vision pouch. I found it to be an extremely tight fit. I could force it to fit but was unable to remove it or replace it without using two hands. The magnetic to did not close reliably with the rangefinder in place. I am very hopeful that the new marsupial great pouch will be the ticket. Loving the rangefinder. The display is so clear for those of us with older eyes.

My marsupial large arrives Monday. I'll let you know how it fits.

dwrags

FNG
I also tried the Outdoor Vision with mine; it was far too tight and the lid would not close easily. Sent it back.

Just received the Marsupial large pouch and it is a perfect fit. No slop but slides in and out easily. Lid closes and holds just like it's supposed to. Perfect fit, very happy.

Sled

WKR

It fits great. Not too tight, not too loose and the closure is not stressed. Goldilocks would love it. I do feel bad for the left handers with this rangefinder. I feel like the second edition will find solutions to the oversized growth on the side of an otherwise excellent offering.

Attachments

• PXL_20210419_234741411.jpg
    PXL_20210419_234741411.jpg
    375.3 KB · Views: 56
  • PXL_20210419_234733882.jpg
    PXL_20210419_234733882.jpg
    249.6 KB · Views: 55
  • PXL_20210419_234713356.jpg
    PXL_20210419_234713356.jpg
    251 KB · Views: 55

Sled

WKR
not sure if any reviews have been released lately but for those still waiting to buy... i have a some thoughts after a couple weeks of use.

first, the wheel does get in the way. it gets bumped and will catch if you're not deliberately avoiding it. removing it would be the single best upgrade to the device.

second, the primary button to range a target with is audible and a very positive click. i am sensitive to things like that in the woods and noticed both my leica and leupold are softer or more quiet.

third, while the range comes back quick and accurate, it does take a few seconds to "wake up". once you press the range button then display will show. if you wait a couple seconds the device is ready for use. if not, you can click the range button 2 or 3 more times before getting a range. a patient person may not notice this but patience is in short supply with an elk or deer in range.

there are plenty of good things about this device and the above are some nit picks that bother me. it's for the end user out there to decide if it's for them or not. for now i'm happy to give it a go this season but i'm also excited to see gen 2. i'd assume the above will be addressed by then.

GotDraw?

WKR
It showed up today. I will have a handful of weeks with the Maven RF.1 before wrapping up my review. Other than the question of pouch fitment, what other curiousities are out there?
View attachment 272398
- Put it in a freezer for a few hours and
see if it works. Put a Leica in with it to check its performance against vs Maven

- Get a foggy morning or evening and check its performance vs Leica

- put it in a bowl of water for 30 min... Still work?

J

Sled

WKR
Thanks for the review, it seems like I thought, this is the one I'll be getting more than likely.

i'll second that thanks...

and vossman, don't let my comments sway you away from the maven. it is a fine rangefinder and priced well.

Thanks for the review. Might have just convinced me to switch from my Sig Kilo 2000 for rifle hunting. I've been in the situations where I can't get a range through grass over a rise or through a blizzard to elk. Maven seems like it will fix those problems and allow greater ranging capabilities.

sndmn11

WKR
Thanks for the review. Might have just convinced me to switch from my Sig Kilo 2000 for rifle hunting. I've been in the situations where I can't get a range through grass over a rise or through a blizzard to elk. Maven seems like it will fix those problems and allow greater ranging capabilities.
To be frank, I was really impressed with the fog/snow/rain ability. I don't remember an April where we had so many snows in Denver/Front Range, and with the horses and cattle on my street it became a perfect testing ground. Being able to go back to the same spot any day I wanted and find fur/hair to bounce the laser off in the same spot let me confirm what as being read.