Maven’s New Rangefinder RF.1 ***Review Added 5/3/21***

sndmn11

WKR
Of course their sold out now on mavens website

You can score the test unit by getting lucky in the cold bow challenge drawing after participating.

Blackstorm

Lil-Rokslider
like the unit
only complaint is the mounting point won't fit a split ring or similar
fits badlands XR case
Had the unit for over a month now and like it better each day it has more capabilities than me but the menus are easy to use and understand
The exposed knob has not been a problem
Update 8/24/21
Taken it afield in a lot of different conditions, The red LED get a little lost when wearing my brown tinted sunglasses on bright sunny day
Was able to accurately target objects as small as a 14-18" tree trunk past 1000 yards consistently, I like both modes but the forest mode works best for me in eastern woods, out west I will see how it goes
battery life has been great so far on original one since installed and I've used it a lot setting up my field setups for the dogs in so many different locations.
optics are still great to look thru and a true joy

Last edited:
Hey all, I was the lucky winner of this rangefinder during the cold bow challenge this year. I’ve been using it periodically the last couple months and thought I’d add my 2cents.

I have been impressed so far.. clear, fast, and simple to use. For the price range of this rangefinder I’ve been very impressed. It’s blazing fast compared to most other rangefinders I’ve used. The forest/field mode toggle is one of my favorite features. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve been trying to range through trees, change settings, and work the menus of other rangefinders in the field to no avail. The toggle on this maven is the perfect fix for hunting “dynamic terrain” .

I’m also a fan of the dial. It’s super easy to work the menu. I’d like to see them work on the position of the dial on future models but it’s by no means a deal-breaker for me.

I’ve got ranges past 3000yds on non-reflective targets, and anything under 1800 yds is a walk in the park for this thing.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Hey all, I was the lucky winner of this rangefinder during the cold bow challenge this year. I’ve been using it periodically the last couple months and thought I’d add my 2cents.

I have been impressed so far.. clear, fast, and simple to use. For the price range of this rangefinder I’ve been very impressed. It’s blazing fast compared to most other rangefinders I’ve used. The forest/field mode toggle is one of my favorite features. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve been trying to range through trees, change settings, and work the menus of other rangefinders in the field to no avail. The toggle on this maven is the perfect fix for hunting “dynamic terrain” .

I’m also a fan of the dial. It’s super easy to work the menu. I’d like to see them work on the position of the dial on future models but it’s by no means a deal-breaker for me.

I’ve got ranges past 3000yds on non-reflective targets, and anything under 1800 yds is a walk in the park for this thing.
Wyatt my man, thank you for the feedback on that. I figured you were going to really like that Maven.

I am a big fan of the RF1. Huge improvement over my vortex ranger 1300. Clear optics, quick ranges, easy to navigate menu. The knob is a bit annoying on the side but it is useful at the same time. Hard to get in a out of my large fhf gear range finder pouch. I’ve since used a shaker cup I cram in the pouch to stretch it out and the RF1 comes out nice and easy with one hand now.

sndmn11

WKR
I am a big fan of the RF1. Huge improvement over my vortex ranger 1300. Clear optics, quick ranges, easy to navigate menu. The knob is a bit annoying on the side but it is useful at the same time. Hard to get in a out of my large fhf gear range finder pouch. I’ve since used a shaker cup I cram in the pouch to stretch it out and the RF1 comes out nice and easy with one hand now.
I have wondered too if one can cut out the lining to make a weebit more room.

I have wondered too if one can cut out the lining to make a weebit more room.
That might work. There is not liner in my range finder pouch that I am aware of. The shaker cup works pretty well and I just keep it in there all the time when I am using my harness. It’s a small price to pay for an affordable/exceptional piece of equipment

AR_Clint

FNG
I just wanted to say thanks for the great review! A friend of mine suggested looking into Maven when I was searching for binos last fall. I ended up buying some 15x Mavens and have really liked them.

Wyatt my man, thank you for the feedback on that. I figured you were going to really like that Maven.
I’d be interested in seeing a review of these and how the drop a pin compares to the tracking assist compares on the Swarovski review you did. (If its even comparable)

Sig Sauer's KILO5K Rangefinder

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I’d be interested in seeing a review of these and how the drop a pin compares to the tracking assist compares on the Swarovski review you did. (If its even comparable)

Sig Sauer's KILO5K Rangefinder

Not sure as I haven’t personally tried the Maven. Just knew he’d like based on the review

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure as I haven’t personally tried the Maven. Just knew he’d like based on the review

Sorry, I meant I’d like to see an addition review on the new sig sauer’s I referenced in that post. They have a new feature that works with basemaps, where you can range and drop a pin across a mountain and then use base map to find they exact spot. I was curious how that feature compares to the new tracking Swarovskis

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry, I meant I’d like to see an addition review on the new sig sauer’s I referenced in that post. They have a new feature that works with basemaps, where you can range and drop a pin across a mountain and then use base map to find they exact spot. I was curious how that feature compares to the new tracking Swarovskis

Oh geez, I need to read the entire post before I respond. I haven’t tried the SIGs either.

justpassingthru

Lil-Rokslider
Does anyone know how this would compare to a Leica 2400r? I just picked one up to demo and really like it but am willing to wait if the Maven has better glass or performance then the Leica. Unfortunately they're still not in stock :(

Sled

WKR
Does anyone know how this would compare to a Leica 2400r? I just picked one up to demo and really like it but am willing to wait if the Maven has better glass or performance then the Leica. Unfortunately they're still not in stock :(

While I like my Maven, I'd stick with the 2400r if I had it. My recollection is that it compensates for angle, unlike my older 1600b.

I've taken the Maven on two hunts and to the archery range for a month now. My initial impression was great with it and overall it still is great. I have found the reticle to be at random brightness settings each time I seem to use it. One time it will be super bright and the next it will be super dim. Its not a huge deal since the wheel on the side can adjust it on the fly, but it is a little annoying. As far as the field mode goes, it takes some getting used to. If a guy isn't very steady, it is hard to get an accurate result. I don't quite trust shooting through grass or trees with the reading the forest mode is giving since it doesn't seem to be consistent. In the wide open, the rangefinder is great. I've got readings on cows well over a mile. It is difficult to get an accurate reading on things over 700 yards in forest mode since it tries to keep scanning for the furthest range. Overall I am happy with it and love being able to quick use it as a monocular with the clear 7x glass. The menu settings are user friendly and the ability to switch between field and forest mode is very easy. Love the option to switch reticles as well.