Maven’s New Rangefinder RF.1 ***Review Added 5/3/21***

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
a8a115136e8863b0aaaedc6449588d93.jpg

It’s out! Working on a a review for you Rokslider people. Watch for it!

@Justin Crossley @Howard Mee @sndmn11

***Review Added 5/3/21*** Maven RF.1 Review

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m pretty interested. Have an old Leupold that has done it’s job well since 2011 that needs to be replaced. Had my eye on the RX Fulldraw 4 but this Maven came out at just the right time. I’m liking the specs. My main question is how that knob on the side affects use of a rangefinder pouch attached to Bino harness.
the max ranges are fantastic.

Chanimal

FNG
Price point and features look great on paper. It will be interesting to get some field reviews on this one.

I wonder if they intend to add a ballistic solver in a future model.

WKR
You can get it in "golf" so I'm betting there's a ballistics rangefinder option in the future, though I don't have any idea who might be making these or how difficult the ballistics apps are. I would be interested in the ballistics version at some point. I'm guessing it will happen.

www.cobalt-golf.com

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Can you explain what you are meaning in a very basic way (like you are talking to a middle schooler)? Or link a resource that I can read through to educate myself on what you are asking?
Not sure this will help any. But, I'll give it a shot.

Range finders don't normally shoot a pencil beam (which is really a cone with a narrow beam angle), rather they shoot a pie slice shaped beam. The beam angle is how wide the pie slice is (a 45 degree angle would be 1/8th of the pie, a 90 degree angle would be 1/4th of the pie).

The beam angle determines how wide the beam is at a given distance. You can think of it like MOA. If the beam angle is 1 MOA, it will cover 1 inch at 1 hundred yards, 2 inches at 200 yards, Etc. Equally, if the beam angle was 1 degree (60 MOA) the beam would be 60 inches wide at 100 yards and 120 inches wide at 200 yards.

Values are simplified because the fact that 1 degree results in the base of the triangle being 62.83 inches at 100 yards really does not matter here.

Str8shtr

Lil-Rokslider
Not sure this will help any. But, I'll give it a shot.

Range finders don't normally shoot a pencil beam (which is really a cone with a narrow beam angle), rather they shoot a pie slice shaped beam. The beam angle is how wide the pie slice is (a 45 degree angle would be 1/8th of the pie, a 90 degree angle would be 1/4th of the pie).

The beam angle determines how wide the beam is at a given distance. You can think of it like MOA. If the beam angle is 1 MOA, it will cover 1 inch at 1 hundred yards, 2 inches at 200 yards, Etc. Equally, if the beam angle was 1 degree (60 MOA) the beam would be 60 inches wide at 100 yards and 120 inches wide at 200 yards.

Values are simplified because the fact that 1 degree results in the base of the triangle being 62.83 inches at 100 yards really does not matter here.

Yes. A tight beam will give you more accurate reading when ranging things on really flat ground or when ranging through trees etc.

I'm excited to see how this compares to the Leica CRF 2400 and Razor 4000, especially in the cold 0-20°F and in the flat lands for antelope hunting.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
OK Roksliders
Decided to go with a trusted member on this review, @sndmn11

I'm shipping the Maven RF.1 out today to him, so watch for his feedback on this thread and a final review on www.rokslide.com

and btw, watch for this RF as a prize in the upcoming 2021 Cold Bow Challenge

pattimusprime22

Lil-Rokslider
I already received my rf.1 and can say it's a big upgrade over the Vortex Ranger 1300 I had been using previously. The glass is more than clear enough for my use and I've gotten quick ranges on pretty much everything I've pointed it at. The knob on the side is surprisingly helpful for navigating the menu, which was something I always had to figure out on the Ranger through trial and error. I also like being able to quickly switch between the "field" an "forest" modes. The downside to the knob is something I haven't yet found a solution for: finding a pouch that it slides easily into and out of. Based on the published dimensions of HxWxD - 4.6875"x3.0625"x1.875" I picked up the marsupial gear rangefinder pouch which has published dimensions of HxWxD - 5"x3.5"x2". It does fit in the pouch, although getting it out is close to being a two handed affair. I can wiggle it out with one hand, but it's not quick. Perhaps I just need to do it a lot to stretch out the pouch.

@sndmn11 If you have a suggestion for rangefinder pouch that is a tiny bit roomier, I'm all ears!

sndmn11

WKR
It showed up today. I will have a handful of weeks with the Maven RF.1 before wrapping up my review. Other than the question of pouch fitment, what other curiousities are out there?
PXL_20210310_005710326.jpg

Last edited: