Max Hunters Per Truck?

A group of three hunters has become four. We are taking my Tundra Crew cab (so short bed). Has anyone packed four hunters in one truck? Doesn’t seem like a great idea to me for a 15 hour drive. I told them they better bring another truck when we meet in KC MO in case everything doesn’t fit.

Four 60-80 liter packs, four bows, and two 150qt coolers. I imagine each person will have a small bag with a change of clothes and a few odds and ends. I was also planning to bring a small archery target to check zero as well as a small base camp setup for the nights we stay at the truck (6 or 8 man dome tent and a small propane stove and pan). I have a cargo net so can stack things above the bed rails to some degree. Also have a trailer hitch cargo rack but was hoping to avoid that in case the USFS roads are rough.

What do you think? Is it practical?

Last edited:

jdmaxwell

WKR
We have traveled 4 in 1 truck 27 hrs couple times. 3 is ideal for us.
All stuff needed always fit even with 4 in one truck with cap.

Backyard

WKR
Definitely. But if you had a different brand truck you might be able to but only if their pockets are empty and two have there socks off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You could make it work if you pull a small trailer. Without a trailer I would be taking 2 trucks. You can get yourself in a pickle too easily with just one truck.

NVVAHunt

Lil-Rokslider
It can be done but it might get tight. Throw the packs and other items not needed in the coolers while you travel. Basically if the only things you have in the truck are just the essentials it will make it easier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We ride 3 to a truck with 4 or 5 goats in the goat box in the bed of the truck. . . You just get adept at packing. For a 9 day trip I have a 150qt cooler, bow in it's case, and a small duffle with change of clothes.

My pack with all my gear goes into the cooler and when the others stop to pick me up it's literally a 10 min stop to throw my stuff on, strap it down, and away we go!

Like others have said, 4 is doable and if it's best for your party this time, go for it. But don't be surprised when Murphy's law kicks in and you wind up at a Denver mechanic for 3 days of your hunt. 2 pickups gives an advantage as well as good insurance should something go wrong!

Tbone58

Lil-Rokslider
You can make it work but it’ll be tight. I’ve done it before. I have found guys like to take to much stuff. So if you eliminate the unnecessary stuff it will be better. But with 4 guys I would take two trucks. Or bring a trailer with one truck

OP
G
You can make it work but it’ll be tight. I’ve done it before. I have found guys like to take to much stuff. So if you eliminate the unnecessary stuff it will be better. But with 4 guys I would take two trucks. Or bring a trailer with one truck

I’ve considered a trailer, which would enable me to bring my FILs SxS or ATV, but I think that is just one more thing to worry about and I’m worried about turning around on forest service roads with a trailer. Plus, I don’t think there are many ATV trails where we are hunting.

I think 4 guys and gear is too much for one pickup. It’s doable but why be any more cramped than you have to be? Most we’ll do is 3 and even then it can be tight for us. Like others have said that extra truck is nice to have if something goes wrong or you want to split up to check different parts of the unit.

Only two 150 qt coolers? Are you Elk hunting or deer hunting or combo (both). What if everyone kills?? The stuff you have in coolers going there won't have a place to be packed for the trip home. If you think you will "ship your gear home if you kill", better check the prices of shipping heavy stuff before that plan is "for sure". What about the racks of the kills? They will take up space. I hope you guys are real friendly (no personality problems), it might be a long trip. Hunter #4 should have invited to use his truck too since he invited himself along. With only one vehicle, if someone gets sick, has a family emergency, has a work emergency, etc, everyone has to leave so one person can get home. At least with two vehicles, one person can drive back home in case of emergency at home, and not have to make everyone cut their hunt short.

Ben Nicholson

Lil-Rokslider
I have a crewmax and have taken three (14 hours of driving). That was cramped. No way I’d go 4 without a trailer. Good luck!

I would take 2 trucks. More comfortable and can go separate ways if wanted.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Brooks

WKR
Guys are always excited and best friends when they’re packing at home getting ready to go but after sitting on top of each other , sleeping in a tent, eating Mountain House all week, no showers and all the rest that goes along with a hunt they’re not so lovey dovey at the end of the trip. I would take my own truck ! I’ve seen some good trips go bad because of guys wives demanding he gets home, drinking, guys wanting to leave early.....