Max points Mule Deer WY

My son and I have max points in WY for Mule Deer. We have not been applying for a unit
just points as we are thinking two units 128 and 130. Even though the odds are long we did
not want to chance drawing and then not having the time to dedicate ourselves for this
once in a lifetime hunt. Seeing that the odds are so low even with max points I don't think
we will be letting any secrets out by discussing these units here.

I have seen threads on other sites on unit 128 and have a feel for how that hunt has been
playing out for tag holders. What I have not seen is much information on how the hunters
in unit 130 have faired. I know it is very weather dependent but was wondering if the migration
and the hunt have been lining up? Is the quality still there? We will not be applying for a
tag again this year but hopefully we will start in 2022. Anyone with any knowledge of unit 130
care to share how this hunt has been going? With all the doom and gloom we have been hearing
regarding WY Mule Deer I am hoping for some good news on this hunt.

Mojave

WKR
What are you looking for a 180 buck, a 200 buck, a 160 buck?

Wyoming had several years of tough winters and drought. Might be better to keep buying points and sit on it a few years.

OP
E
Really looking for a good experience more than anything. Would love
to kill a deer 180 plus but am realistic and would settle for a quality
hunt and a decent buck.

Mojave

WKR
I wouldn't hunt in 2021, but I'd call the biologist in the units you are interested in and ask the same question.

Calbuck

WKR
I would hunt every opportunity I got and never look back.. you been sitting on those points and not gettin in the woods..time past doesn't make memories, getting out there does.Who cares what the deer are, they will be what they are...you prob could have hunted 2 or 3 times with your fam if you wanted to..just meh 2 cents..life is short hunt hard!

OP
E
Thanks guys for your opinions. I have not been trying to build points
just never worked out with other apps as well as things happening in
our lives. I drew a WY elk tag this year so next year will probably start
applying for deer. Good luck to everyone in this years deer draw.

Kevin Bogert

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks guys for your opinions. I have not been trying to build points
just never worked out with other apps as well as things happening in
our lives. I drew a WY elk tag this year so next year will probably start
applying for deer. Good luck to everyone in this years deer draw.
Did you end up applying for 128 for this fall? A friend of mine has max points and he did. Hard to believe it's still about 5% chance with 15 points...

OP
E
No my son or I did not apply. We probably will start applying
next year but who knows how long it will take to draw even
with max points.

If you draw either of those hunts you will have a great time
130 would be very fun if you hit it right, but that area was hammered by weather several years in a row
128 has way more deer and is a late hunt. I think 128 has better deer size wise also

wyo2track

Lil-Rokslider
130 has a younger age class right now, but you never know what might come thru in the daylight. The colder the weather the better. Get that tag and you may hunt deer that live 5 or 50+ miles away in the summertime. And most that go thru there are from the latter. If your ceiling is only a 170 type of deer, than use your points in any of the better Wyoming areas and go hunt, but if truly want to hold your cards close and wait it out for a possible real trophy than 130 may be what your after. No matter, Region G will always have bigger buck potential than a 130 lottery tag where your hoping for luck instead of going and finding it.

Last edited:
OP
E
Thanks guys. Living as far away from these units as we do as well as seem to always be
fighting for time we kind of give up our dream of trophies. Seeing different country
as well as a different experience in each unit is more what we are looking for know.
Plus the low tag numbers in these units is always a plus. When we apply I plan on
one of us applying for 130 the other 128 hoping to hit on one and then start applying
for the other unit following years. That way we would get to see and experience both
units. Hopefully we could at least draw one in the next 3 years.

WCB

WKR
One piece of advice I would have is don't "probably" apply, just bite the bullet and apply. I have friends that have been applying in different states and they are so wishy washy on hunts and have missed out on doing hunts because they "might" draw xyz tag, and they are talking 50% or better odds. With a 5% draw tag at max points just apply. Chances are you won't get it but if you do rearrange other things around it.

Dooger

FNG
Dang, 15 points and 5% draw chance! I have 6 points and thought I was doing good.
Haha! I have 7 (for a general unit) and was sorta thinking the same. But, with the record number of applicants this year, it’s gonna get scary.

I applied for a tag in a different state this year and going off last years draw odds I had a 92% chance to draw. Guess who didn’t draw???

OP
E
WCB that makes a lot of sense. I missed years of hunting out west thinking
I would draw a certain hunt then did not and I did not apply for other hunts.
24 elk points in CO for next year that I would like to use but I will apply for WY
deer also knowing odds are really low I would draw both.

Reactions: WCB