max weight backpacking bag

huck

Lil-Rokslider
Im sure this topic has been beat to death ,but what do you consider the upper limit for weight for a 0 degree backpacking bag . kinda on the cheap ?

The only upper weight limit on anything is what you're willing to carry. The heavier it is, the less you'll spend, your choice will be based on your needs and budget.

*zap*

WKR
If I was not worried about weight I would get a wiggys ultima thule or super light....which is kinda super heavy. :love:

But they will last you forever and keep you warm.....I have an ultra light that must have 350+ nights use so far....alone or combined with an overbag.

OP
H

huck

Lil-Rokslider
Thinking I dont want to carry much more than 3.5 ib. for 150$ ,if thats even doable .

My zero degree bag is 3 lbs and it’s worth the extra weight during rifle season. I think I paid $275 for it in 2002.

Check out a marmot never summer for a reasonable cost zero degree bag. Saw one for about $300.

Volume really becomes the issue even with the expensive and warm bags.
I have an Exped Waterbloc for here in NZ and as good as it is for what I want it it is heaps bulkier compared to EE Revelation quilt or Sea to Summit Micro 3 I use.

southLA

WKR
Check out Hyke and Byke. I thought their 0 degree bag was a great value for my 2nd rifle hunt in Co.

3.3lb with down fill. $200

LSHD69

FNG
If I was not worried about weight I would get a wiggys ultima thule or super light....which is kinda super heavy. :love:

But they will last you forever and keep you warm.....I have an ultra light that must have 350+ nights use so far....alone or combined with an overbag.
No doubt. I have a Wiggy's Superlight and overbag and it has to weigh 7.5 lbs; but it is warm.

Just be careful with temperature rating claims as well. For instance, with the Hyke and Byke "0" bag, the zero is the survival/extreme rating. It's comfort rating is 30 and its comfort limit is 15 (all stated on their website) . Its probably a fine bag for the price but is not a zero degree bag despite its name. For comparison, my WM Antelope is a 5 degree bag, it's comfort rating is 13, it's comfort limit is -1, and it's extreme rating is -41 (all per their website). So they are completely different animals.

^^ good points. Also, that Comfort (upper rating) is the temperature that a typical woman would be comfortable assuming a good R-value pad and wearing a base layer, and Comfort Limit is the temperature a typical man would be comfortable in, again while using a good sleeping pad and wearing good base layers.