Maximum shelter weight

What would you consider the maximum weight you would be willing to carry for a 4 season shelter? I am wanting a 4 season tent but i’m concerned about the 4.18 lbs on the one i’m really interested in.

*zap*

WKR
Comfort, warmth and being dry may mean packing a few #'s more. Follow your instincts and gut feelings.

OP
O
Thanks. I’m getting caught up with looking at a list of individual weights and the bigger numbers are catching my eye. Found lighter tents but I want a solid 4 season shelter and keep thinking i’d Rather have the more durable option of my 2 choices. Was hoping guys that are also pinching grams might have a goal in mind.

After moving to floorless DCF shelters several years ago, I’d have a tough time with the thought of carrying anything over 3 lbs. for a 2-3 person setup, and anything much over 1 lb. for a solo shelter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

*zap*

WKR
Thanks. I’m getting caught up with looking at a list of individual weights and the bigger numbers are catching my eye. Found lighter tents but I want a solid 4 season shelter and keep thinking i’d Rather have the more durable option of my 2 choices. Was hoping guys that are also pinching grams might have a goal in mind.

A lot will depend on how far you will be carrying and how often you will move it once set up.

OP
O
Thanks for the help guys. Easy to get overwhelmed trying to reconcile the weight vs comfort conundrum. Excellent point Zap with regard to moving base. I hadn’t been putting that into the equation although one of the things I like most about the Fjallraven tent i’m pretty well set on is the ease/speed of setup.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Last year I got absolutely blasted by weather during my sheep hunt, it was a solid week of rain and wind just pissing down. I was in my old marmot tent which was about 15 years old and It sucked. Sucked bad, I was wet the whole week, everything was wet.

I’ve been upgrading a lot of gear this year and decided that I needed to add a tent that I could rely on in weather like that (I don’t really think there’s 1 tent for everything) so I added a hilleberg to my arsenal. It’s heavy, like 7lbs but fully free standing, 2 vestibules and you can do some cool stuff with it like ditch the inner tent part and just use the fly to save weight.

I won’t always carry around a 7lb hilleberg but I’m glad I got it, it would have made things much more comfortable last year and really only been ~ 2lbs heavier than what I was using.

I also think the hilleberg will make an awesome tent for my pack raft hunts where weight is less of a concern.

I do plan on getting an ultralight shelter type thing but I’ve just started doing the research on that and feel a bit overwhelmed since I’ve never gone the lightweight tarp type thing before, seems like a 3lb set up that uses trekking poles would be pretty nice when I’m not as concerned about the weather.

OP
O
I read this and I read Zap talking about comfort. I’m thinking i’ll Concentrate efforts at cutting weight and go with the shelter I want and suck up the couple pounds of extra weight. I have to travel across country and don’t want weather to chase me away. Thanks for the confirmation!

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I read this and I read Zap talking about comfort. I’m thinking i’ll Concentrate efforts at cutting weight and go with the shelter I want and suck up the couple pounds of extra weight. I have to travel across country and don’t want weather to chase me away. Thanks for the confirmation!

I think its good to try and save weight wherever you can BUT there is a time and a place for it. I leaned that last year when I went with an older tent that wasn't up to it, I'd have been miles ahead if I took my hilleberg with the extra 2-2.5lbs, especially since I set the tent up and hunted out of a camp for the week, the extra weight would have been worth it to come back to a dry tent every day.

renagde

WKR
What would you consider the maximum weight you would be willing to carry for a 4 season shelter? I am wanting a 4 season tent but i’m concerned about the 4.18 lbs on the one i’m really interested in.

What do you consider a 4 season tent? Technically a tipi style floorless tent is 4 season, add a stove and you're golden. Mine weighs about 23 oz, fits 2 people comfortably, or 1 person and stove.

jhm2023

WKR
I go back and forth with the cutting weight thing every year. One thing I have learned and am dead set on is that the energy gained from a good comfortable night of sleep far exceeds the energy saved by shedding ounces or even a couple of pounds. A good tent and a decent titanium stove makes all the diiference in the world on those bad weather hunts. I've learned the hard way by trying to cut weight in my shelter/sleeping setup and staying soaked and miserable. I like having the option of spreading all my wet gear out, lighting the stove and crawling into my bag and it's worth the weight to me. I'll save the weight in other areas like cutting my toothbrush, dehydrating my toothpaste, etc.

I haven't bought in to the floorless shelter yet. So anything under 5lbs for a good tent is lightweight. I will definitely sacrifice weight on my back for comfort.

Well said Luke. I’ll even go a little further and say, the only time I prefer a traditional 4 season tent over a floorless shelter is when it’s a big, heated, Arctic Oven, but of course you won’t get too far packing one of those.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk