Maximum Trigger Pull Weight??

BCD

WKR
I'm curious as to what others are setting their triggers at for long range? My Xbolt is at 2.5 lbs and it is very crisp with no travel. I'm thinking about upgrading to a Timney to get it around 1.5lbs but I'm on the fence here.

Any thoughts?

Thank You

THAT'S a very "personal" question …. If you asked 1000 rifle hunters you'd probably get 950+ that would say between 2.5 - 3.5 lbs in optimal - creep and cleanness of the break are more important
Personally, on a HUNTING rifle I think 1.5 borders on unsafe (now, for a varmint or target rifle ? different story)

idig4au

WKR
I like a crisp 2.5 lbs and that's what I tune by rifles too.

My last rifle I had built was sent to me with probably 1.5 lb trigger pull. I think a gust of wind would touch the thing off and I sure couldn't get it to shoot any groups. Once i increased trigger weight to 2.5 lbs or so, it settled right in and went boom when I was ready for it to go boom.

W1bowo

Lil-Rokslider
I like a crisp 2.5 lbs and that's what I tune by rifles too.

My last rifle I had built was sent to me with probably 1.5 lb trigger pull. I think a gust of wind would touch the thing off and I sure couldn't get it to shoot any groups. Once i increased trigger weight to 2.5 lbs or so, it settled right in and went boom when I was ready for it to go boom.
+1
d.png

manitou1

WKR
I keep all mine around 2.5. I would be uncomfortable with a lighter trigger for safety reasons. Just my personal perference.

All of my hunting rifles are at 2# except the one that is not adjustable and it is up for an upgrade soon. My one target rifle is 1lbs, 2oz. As everyone else has stated this is a very personal question. I did try running one of my hunting rifles down near 1.5# and I didn't like it.

Rob5589

WKR
2-2.5 on my hunting guns. No creep, no over travel, crisp break, is more important than weight alone, IMO.

I run around 1.5lbs on most my rifles. Having a crisp clean break is way more important than lighter weight. I’ve tuned a lot of triggers and you would be surprised what many people assume is about a 3lb Trigger is usually more like 5-6lbs. Once they get a crisp 2.5-3lbs they are amazed.

2.5 is what I try to achieve on my hunting rifles except my Prarie Dog rifle. It gets 1.5.

Salmon River Solutions

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I run a little under 2lbs for my all around hunting rifle. I recently did a build for a buddy and set it the same as mine (both trigger tech specials). He couldn’t shoot a group to save his life. Bumped his up to about 3 lbs and he shot it great. It’s all just what you get used to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I run a little under 2lbs for my all around hunting rifle. I recently did a build for a buddy and set it the same as mine (both trigger tech specials). He couldn’t shoot a group to save his life. Bumped his up to about 3 lbs and he shot it great. It’s all just what you get used to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
IMO it's best to keep "safety" in mind as well ….

Northwinds308

Lil-Rokslider
I like 2.25 pounds on any single stage trigger I use. I'm Canadian so a lot of hunting you can expect to be cold and dealing with nasty weather. The extra little bit helps when your fingers are numb.

I can use anything from 1.75 to to 3 pounds provided I've gotten to play with it a bit and I'm expecting it. Anything lower gets sketchy for imperfect conditions and anything higher my groups start to open up.

I've pretty well switched to 2 stage triggers now and I don't regret it.

Northwinds308

Lil-Rokslider
I run around 1.5lbs on most my rifles. Having a crisp clean break is way more important than lighter weight. I’ve tuned a lot of triggers and you would be surprised what many people assume is about a 3lb Trigger is usually more like 5-6lbs. Once they get a crisp 2.5-3lbs they are amazed.

Absolutely this, crisp trigger more important than weight.

Rambler

FNG
Mine depends on tbe overall weight of the rifle. I have triggers from 10 ounces to 3 pounds. 1-2 pounds is probably the average though for me.
I agree 100%! A bunch of dry fire practice from field positions tells you exactly where your trigger needs to be! Heavy rifles can get away with more and light rifles need to come with hand warmers, IMO...!

parshal

WKR
After shooting triggers in 10-12 oz. range I can't shoot anything heavier no matter how much I try. I went to a two stage Bix'n Andy and set the first stage travel quite a bit with no weight. It won't accidentally go off if I were to touch it while getting set up. It's about the only way I feel "safe" now with a light trigger on a hunting rifle.

kupper

Lil-Rokslider
im with parshal I prefer a lighter trigger pull. I used to hunt with the trigger tech backed all the way out but 1.5# seemed too heavy. I upgraded to the trigger tech diamond and have it set around 14 ounces. I havent had any issues safety wise and prefer the lighter pull for long range work.

I like just under 2 lbs. The bullet is gone the moment I decide I want to pull the trigger.
A lot depends on the gun you shoot and the caliber. If you are prone to flinching a lighter trigger can be better. I just like the bullet gone the moment the sight picture is perfect for me.

Big Ern

WKR
In my hunting rig, 1.5 lbs. on my range rig, I run 1.25 lbs.

Both single stage.

Hunting trigger is Timney Calvin Lite
Range rifle is Triggertech Diamond Pro.

The TT diamond pro is hands down the best trigger I have ever been behind.