Maxx Traxx, X Bull tracks?

Pro953

WKR
I have had a few sticky situations over the years and was considering buying a set of these. Anyone here keep some in your truck. Are they useful or just another thing for the overland guys to slap on the side of the jeep.

If you do use them, what brand have you had success with cost and quality seem all over the place.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BBob

WKR
I carry 4 of the original Maxtrax thrown in the bed. Like most recovery gear they don't get used much. I found they are much easier to use than finding and carrying rocks to stack in front or behind tires to get out of thick mud or sand or bridge a gap. I got by forever without them and still could but if you can afford it I think they are easier when needed even if rarely. They do take up a fair amount of space but in my full size long bed it's not a problem. I'm also out a bunch solo too so YMMV

I have a set and they got me out once. Still had to really get after it so left some tire on them. Not sure if that is normal but all the ones you see strapped on the cool guy rigs looked unused...

tiredfeet

FNG
It depends what type of situation you find yourself in. I have been living down in Australia for the past decade and can say that traction boards are a must on the beach and in the outback ( sand and mud). Most of the experienced (off roading) people over here have them. But equally important is correct tire pressure for the situation and good driving technique. To the original question, there is a huge difference in quality ( I have both max traxx and some cheap brand) and I am sure that cold and snow would factor into it as well. The cheaper ones won’t last long and will break, and the better ones will last significantly longer ie. maxx traxx (and ?action tracks USA - started by a former maxx traxx employee). Also if you spin your tires on them the tracks the lugs will come off, but you could replace them with a bolt, a couple of washers and nut. Here is a link to a torture test on traction boards. I am moving to Canada shortly and will have at least one pair of maxx traxx, I’ll may have to test out the action tracks. Hopefully this is helpful.

OP
P

Pro953

WKR
Thanks tired feet. I had looked at a couple videos. I can understand the benefit for those that are actively going off trail and into sand, certainly the risk of getting stuck is much higher in those situations and getting out fast is ideal. Just a hard trade off vs filling space with two large items that could be substituted with local material and airing down tires.

I guess I will have to chew on this a bit more.

Obsessed1

Lil-Rokslider
I have a reciver mount 10k winch up front( or rear if needed) and a diy pull pal, as well as a full set of track grabbers. IME the track grabbers work much better in our mud/ snow than traction boards and you can drive any distance as they are mounted right on your tire. I also have a full set of tire chains for plowing and such. Imo a winch is always best but if not possible the track grabbers would be my next choice....at least for the mud/ snow in my area....