Maybe the lowest priced option to benchmade altitude

twall13

WKR

Pn8hall

WKR
@sndmn11 I assume you did a glue up for that last handle correct. What did you use for glue epoxy? I was checking the site you linked for cork and stuff looks pretty sweet. Any special tricks for shaping it? Just regular sanding methods like a typical scales? Any sort of sealer put on after its finished or just let it ride natural? Thanks in advance.

sndmn11

WKR
@sndmn11 I assume you did a glue up for that last handle correct. What did you use for glue epoxy? I was checking the site you linked for cork and stuff looks pretty sweet. Any special tricks for shaping it? Just regular sanding methods like a typical scales? Any sort of sealer put on after its finished or just let it ride natural? Thanks in advance.

I think it is a west system knife epoxy holding the cork colors together. It is not used to the blade.

You can use titebond (that is most common), jb weld, loctite two part, really anything will work. Titebond 3 would be the best choice I think.

You do not need to glue anything if you get a solid block or scale. I only glued up because I hate waste so I ran the red cork block down the table saw them cut that skinny strip into the two ends. I had the dark burl spacers leftover from the other so I threw those in there.

I only used my table oscillating sander to sand down the arrow shafts pins to be flush, then I just used 80grit hand paper up to 320. There is a U40 cork seal but I have it used it in real porous low grade real cork to fill gaps because it gives sort of a plastic feel. The cork is waterproof as is and is fine with blood and gunk.

twall13

WKR
I know these knives are still out of stock but I thought I'd give a quick update. It's taken me long enough but I finally got a minute to play around with these blades a bit today. They sharpened up easier than I expected on the Work Sharp. I went straight to the 22.5° angle based on the insights from previous posts and it worked pretty well. I expected to battle the steel more than I did so I was glad it went as well as it did. I'm not great at blade sharpening so I'm sure others could get them sharper than me but I got them slicing through paper easily and that's good enough for me.

A few things I noticed as I was working with them.

1. The way they have the Paracord wrapped is terrible. I rewrapped them how I've always done my Tyto knife and it's much more secure in the hand. The way these came the Paracord wouldn't stay tight and kind of let the knife roll in my hand more than I liked. I've attached some before and after photos of the Paracord. I'm not sure when I'll get to it but I'm pretty sure I'm going to play around with those cork scales at some point, I'm liking the idea of that option more and more, especially after messing with Paracord on three knives today. Cork probably won't weigh much more, if anything, and will be a lot more comfortable in the hand. It will make the whole package a bit more bulky but I think it's worth the trade-off.

2. The Kydex cases are really loose on these things. I already have a Kydex press from some previous projects so it won't be a big deal for me to heat them up and tighten them but I'm shocked by how little retention they have from the factory.

I still think these things are a great deal. If they cost as much as a Benchmade I would be disappointed in the sheath, sharpness, etc. but given the price all of that stuff is very minor and fixable with a little work. For a lightweight S90V blade, it's a good deal.
d830c5ad42d1db8d3ff8b35a3ecbd254.jpg
67fe4f23b383dc47ece56d365f90aae3.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Any update on when these are coming back in stock? Still keeping my eye out for one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Team4LongGun

SUPER MODERATOR
Staff member
I wanted to like it, but it’s a Hard pass for me. A brand new knife shouldn’t need a 5 step process to be field ready. That, and the unconfirmed “USA made” claim doesn’t sit well with me.
Benchmade will continue to be my go to.

Twall-no joke-you should contact them about the 550 cord wrap job, yours is legit 👍

OP
Blandry

Blandry

WKR
They'll likely NEVER be back in stock.. it was a jump, get an S90v for that price deal with what they had in stock.

I'm not even sure ridge belts will be around.. mine are now tearing the material around the buckle holes and won't retain shape (not good).

I'm still using their belts but the material isn't the best after you beat on it.

TL406

Lil-Rokslider
I would sell the one I have, I took the paracord off the handle and I don’t think I have the cord anymore. Other than that, it hasn’t been used and the factory edge is decent, not razor sharp. PM me if interested, I’ll probably post an official ad tonight.

sndmn11

WKR
I would sell the one I have, I took the paracord off the handle and I don’t think I have the cord anymore. Other than that, it hasn’t been used and the factory edge is decent, not razor sharp. PM me if interested, I’ll probably post an official ad tonight.
Dibs