Mazatzal wilderness area

Gehring54

FNG
Going on a otc hunt in January in unit 22. Going to be hunting around the Payson area. Just wondering has anyone had any luck hunting the mazatzal wilderness area. I’ve heard it’s rough terrain but has good potential. Not looking for exact spots to hunt guys, just looking for success story’s pretty much.

ChanMan

FNG
How did your hunt go? I hunted in unit 27 for the first time this January and had a lot of fun but it was very tough and lots of people out. We almost went with the Matazal Wilderness and didn’t. Possibly might this coming December.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
G

Gehring54

FNG
We ended up only hunting 22 for one day. We were in the northern part up by Payson. Had a lot of tracks but never actually saw anything other then some elk when we were driving to the trail head. But we ended up hunting the east side of 21 for the rest of our trip. Ran into some mule deer there but they were few and far between. Also only saw 2 bucks and they we’re chasing a doe so couldn’t do much with it. It was also our first trip out west so we’re by no means experts so we could have been messing up some. We were hunting between a mile and 3 miles off of any road or path so we didn’t see anyone at all which was nice. I think there’s lots of potential but it’ll take time to figure them out. We’re going back for velvet hunt and possibly going to 23 or 27.

ChanMan

FNG
Awesome, if I knew how to PM you I would and give you some info on 27. Beautiful unit! Good luck to you guys this early season, I’m from Arkansas so this years trip was quite the experience. We ended up seeing as many coues deer in 27 as we did mule deer. It’s as rugged as everyone on here says it is.

MAVinWA

Lil-Rokslider
Based in WA, OTC archery public land in AZ, UT, so
Mazatzal wilderness was one of my favorites. Took a nice archery buck there year after year as OTC NR. Mostly coues but a muley now and then. City Creek, Polles Mesa.

"was" because I can no longer go deep due to my age and now mostly solo as hunt pards have passed on.
Deep as in 5-7 miles, camp on my back.

ChanMan

FNG
Sounds like a great time. I’m strongly considering giving it a shot for this December, there’s nothing better then getting way off the road and being in Gods Country.

When you were spending time out there, was it mainly coues deer you were seeing?

OP
G

Gehring54

FNG
Awesome, if I knew how to PM you I would and give you some info on 27. Beautiful unit! Good luck to you guys this early season, I’m from Arkansas so this years trip was quite the experience. We ended up seeing as many coues deer in 27 as we did mule deer. It’s as rugged as everyone on here says it is.

We’re thinking about hunting the Blue Range Primitive Area in 27