McCall Idaho OTC Elk

OJ_Juice

FNG
Looking for some advice on McCall Idaho Elk units. Just bought an OTC tag for next year. Hunted Salmon area but they limited DAV tags this year and couldn't get one. Look like not much access into backcountry in McCall area. Thanks, OJ

I hunt the McCall area for mule deer primarily. I know many people like to hunt elk on West Mountain near Cascade and do so with a decent amount of success. Lots of elk but also lots of pressure. Best of luck!

P Carter

WKR
Lots of hunters, lots of wolves, lots of posts by people looking for tips. Any tip provided will draw more non-res hunters to the disclosed area. Plenty of backcountry, no idea what your comment is referring to...

Good luck!

My guess is the pressure just doubled
West Mountain is no secret by any means. Just thought I would just try to give you some direction. If you decide not to use it, you're welcome for me taking pressure away from other portions of the area. Lots of country in the McCall area. Biggest advice I can give is get off the roads.

Looking for some advice on McCall Idaho Elk units. Just bought an OTC tag for next year. Hunted Salmon area but they limited DAV tags this year and couldn't get one. Look like not much access into backcountry in McCall area. Thanks, OJ
To start I hope it goes better than it did for me. I won’t be going back to this zone. We hunted the south fork of the salmon with no luck so we moved up by new meadows I had hunted that area years ago that didn’t go well then went and checked out west mountain and that wasn’t good for us. We had pretty warm weather this year and that didn’t help. The issue with the west mountain and new meadows area is a few years ago a company bought up allot of land that use to be accessible. It’s not allowed anymore. I do have mules so we got off the road if that’s what’s your thinking but it was not a good hunt for us. Sorry no tips beyond where it didn’t go good for us. In the two weeks I was in the area I seen one bull killed out of all the camps we seen in the areas we looked at.

OP
OJ_Juice

OJ_Juice

FNG
True! We backpack and hunt, but was hoping to ge on a trail, log road or something to get in.
Isn’t the definition of backcountry that there’s not much access?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OJ_Juice

OJ_Juice

FNG
I hunt the McCall area for mule deer primarily. I know many people like to hunt elk on West Mountain near Cascade and do so with a decent amount of success. Lots of elk but also lots of pressure. Best of luck!
thank you for the tip...we plan to get off the trail and stay in the mountains, just hope we see some Elk.

OP
OJ_Juice

OJ_Juice

FNG
West Mountain is no secret by any means. Just thought I would just try to give you some direction. If you decide not to use it, you're welcome for me taking pressure away from other portions of the area. Lots of country in the McCall area. Biggest advice I can give is get off the roads.
yes sir, for sure off the roads...even thinking of base camp somewhere in the mountains after we find Elk. Lots of work but could pay off.

Be sure to specify the unit number and list all trails and FS road numbers so people can search these forums and find your spot when you kill a killer 6 pt and share it with us all here on this searchable forum.

OP
OJ_Juice

OJ_Juice

FNG
Onxmaps. There's some help.
There guy in the other help thread was willing to trade atvs, dinner and lodging for zone advice. You better step up your game friend.
OnX maps for sure...got the app and doing some research. Nice! I'm up for offering ransom for zone advice!

Sanchez

Lil-Rokslider
I hunted NW of New Meadows off the Smokey Boulder road during the 1990's and it was excellent but getting progressively more crowded. Went again this year and it was terribly crowded with hunters who gave no respect to each other. Still a lot of elk, but you need to adjust your strategy to hunt among a lot of people.

87TT

WKR
I hunted NW of New Meadows off the Smokey Boulder road during the 1990's and it was excellent but getting progressively more crowded. Went again this year and it was terribly crowded with hunters who gave no respect to each other. Still a lot of elk, but you need to adjust your strategy to hunt among a lot of people.
Way before the Wilkes bro’s. Bought the timber company land and posted it. But go there, lots of elk.