McCall Idaho OTC Elk

West Mountain is no secret by any means. Just thought I would just try to give you some direction. If you decide not to use it, you're welcome for me taking pressure away from other portions of the area. Lots of country in the McCall area. Biggest advice I can give is get off the roads.

West Mountain is no secret by any means. Just thought I would just try to give you some direction. If you decide not to use it, you're welcome for me taking pressure away from other portions of the area. Lots of country in the McCall area. Biggest advice I can give is get off the roads.

Thanks but no thanks. I’ve done quite well finding elk without having to ask where to go find elk. I’ll never understand those who feel the need to ask. It’s just stupidity to me......

Last edited:

KurtR

WKR
I hunted there for four years only saw a handful of elk never killed a bull. Saw a wolf and a moose. I didn’t have any problem with pressure but I have found pressure to be a relative term. At most a couple vehicles at a trail head are all we had to deal with. Met a group of mules on the trail that was an outfitter who actually pointed us in the direction of the one bull we did see. Went to a different unit this year and don’t see returning to the McCall area super tough. Only reason I might be back are the Akc master nationals are there next year

OP
OJ_Juice

OJ_Juice

FNG
You’re brand new to the forum and your first post is where to go fill a random tag you just bough?

View attachment 237888
Hell, you could've done better than Joe Biden! Not a random tag, I was stationed in Mt. Home ID for years and ID resident, knew the area then but that was in 2002. Just looking to see what's changed. Yeah, heard about Rokside and thought I'd give it whirl. Don't need your help...I'll be sure to post the Elk after I kill it.

Thanks but no thanks. I’ve done quite well finding elk without having to ask where to go find elk. I’ll never understand those who feel the need to ask. It’s just stupidity to me......
tiss the new normal. problem is.. some want to be a hero to a stranger and ruin a spot in so doing. must give some a sense of power in a stupid way!!

Hell, you could've done better than Joe Biden! Not a random tag, I was stationed in Mt. Home ID for years and ID resident, knew the area then but that was in 2002. Just looking to see what's changed. Yeah, heard about Rokside and thought I'd give it whirl. Don't need your help...I'll be sure to post the Elk after I kill it.
I'd give some direction if I was familiar with that area because you're a veteran and that's not something anyone should take lightly.

Rokslide is full of solid information, but it's how folks go about getting that information that can change things. I'd say if you're already familiar with the area from 20 years ago, you should be able to use GE and onxmaps to get closer looks at your old hunting areas.

Maybe someone will help out with better info, but I would give Rokslide a chance for general gear and hunting help.

OP
OJ_Juice

OJ_Juice

FNG
Way before the Wilkes bro’s. Bought the timber company land and posted it. But go there, lots of elk.
thanks for the help!
I'd give some direction if I was familiar with that area because you're a veteran and that's not something anyone should take lightly.

Rokslide is full of solid information, but it's how folks go about getting that information that can change things. I'd say if you're already familiar with the area from 20 years ago, you should be able to use GE and onxmaps to get closer looks at your old hunting areas.

Maybe someone will help out with better info, but I would give Rokslide a chance for general gear and hunting help.
I appreciate it. yeah I'm new to the forum stuff...was really looking to get a sense of population in the area and sounds like lots of hunter going up that way. There's a couple of us that hunt with disabled vet tags and still able to get up and down the mountain with heavy packs. We'll head up that way and scout it out. I didn't know about the Wilkes brothers buying all that land, that was some good info...

idguide

FNG
Looking for some advice on McCall Idaho Elk units. Just bought an OTC tag for next year. Hunted Salmon area but they limited DAV tags this year and couldn't get one. Look like not much access into backcountry in McCall area. Thanks, OJ
I would get familiar with packers and check out historical maps on usgs.

Tjwjr89

FNG
Hunted around New Meadows a couple years ago. Lots of road access and nothing I'd consider remote though it seemed most guys just drive the roads and throw out bugles until they locate one. (I may have been more successful doing that lol) Took a few days to find elk but we did see a few. Wolf sign everywhere and howling all night every night. Didn't make for a good night's sleep.

1-Enjoy that DAV tag
2-Get used to competition, it's not going away
3- Work harder than everyone else and you'll be rewarded
4- buy a wolf tag

If you want population or harvest stats look the numbers up on IDFG website. Or call the McCall office and ask specific questions. General questions usually get general answers in my experience.