McGowen barrels

TauPhi111

WKR
Has anyone ordered and shot a McGowen barrel lately? I have been thinking about a 338 RCM build lately and of all the places I have looked so far, McGowen is the only one with all the options I am looking for. In the past, I got the feeling from others that they were of mediocre quality and accuracy, but it has been years since I gave them a serious look. What kind of quality are they running now? As good as Shilen or Criterion (I have both of those and love them). Give me the latest scoop on McGowen please.

Devildogg

FNG
I’ve got a prefit 6.5x4lapua on a savage action I cobbled together and it shoots fantastic.

gumbl3

WKR
Been a few years but the 6.5x284 barrel i got shot pretty nice

Attachments

• group.jpg
    group.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 55
Been a few years for me as well. I had a 257 Roberts put on a Savage action. Love it. I've taken several Antelope with it. Just started them working on a new barrel (7MM SAUM) this week.

JCooper

FNG
I’ve put 3 on in the last year. All remage barrels. The accuracy has been outstanding with little work to be done. Last was a 26” 22 creed and the first load I tried was 80 grain bergers. 3.5” 3 shot group at 610 yds. I will continue to use them.
Thanks and good luck with whichever barrel you try

Wrench

WKR
I've used 4 of them. I know Whaley used a bunch too. I can't say anything about the latest batches, but barrel makers seldom go backwards.

amassi

WKR
My experience is with Carbon Six barrels, so mcgowen blanks. They all shoot great I'd imagine their stainless barrels shoot just as great

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

OP
TauPhi111

TauPhi111

WKR
Thanks all for your input. No negative words about them seems like I should probably be good with them.

I just had two McGowens made, a 6 cm that took a couple Different bullets to figure out but got sub 0.5”moa once I did. The second was a .243 and this is the first group I shot breaking it in- the shot to the left not touching was a called pull 😂 I think they are great for the price and do the Remage nut. I have another one on order already 👍🏼

Attachments

• 37F6CEF2-627D-4501-AC7F-BC068716F6F0.jpeg
    37F6CEF2-627D-4501-AC7F-BC068716F6F0.jpeg
    145.2 KB · Views: 31

rootacres

WKR
I received mine a few months ago. After a little load development its easily sub 3/4 MOA (5 shots inside 3/4" is pretty standard). Thats with a sported contour on a 7mm wsm. The whole package is 8lbs 3oz. With a heavier contour/rifle and a better shooter that group would probably be better.

Mine preferred berger classic hunters, it hated ELDXs, I didn't mess with enough accubonds to have good feedback there. Once the Bergers started grouping the way they did I stopped messing with it.

#publiclands

Lil-Rokslider
Has anyone used a McGowen #4 contour barrel on a carry rifle? Would it be similar to a varmint contour and much too heavy to pack around the woods comfortably?

Old-Cat

Lil-Rokslider
Has anyone used a McGowen #4 contour barrel on a carry rifle? Would it be similar to a varmint contour and much too heavy to pack around the woods comfortably?
I just ordered a #4. It’s a shoulder prefit in 308, 20”, threaded and fluted. They estimated mine should finish around 2.75 lbs. I’m good w that. I guess I’ll know for sure soon enough.

I give them this, they were super helpful. They estimated the finished weight two times for me, and had no issue doing it. I have specific needs for this build, they listened and gave me advice. Some other barrel makers were not so accommodating.

I did have a few reservations. I saw a few pics of a nasty looking chamber on another forum and a complaint of tool marks, but I guess that can happen w anyone, mostly I’ve seen good reviews. Again, I’ll know soon enough , a scope will go down that sucker as quick I can get my hands on it.

The price was fine and time frame was not over the top either. I’m giving them a shot, hopefully they deliver as promised.

#publiclands

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the information Old-cat! So it’s 2.75 lbs at 20 inches so if I go with the same contour that puts at around 3.4lbs at 24”.
I’m going to give them a try as well. Like you mentioned, most reviews have been good.

Just received a 20" #3 contour chambered in .260 Rem. I have only shot it to zero the scope so that I can start load development. That being said, just choosing a random load out of the book using components that I had on hand and didn't mind using up resulted in 5 5-shot groups all less than 1". So far, I am pretty pleased.

Old-Cat

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the information Old-cat! So it’s 2.75 lbs at 20 inches so if I go with the same contour that puts at around 3.4lbs at 24”.
I’m going to give them a try as well. Like you mentioned, most reviews have been good.

I would call and confirm everything. Their pre-purchase customer service has been fantastic.

TK177

FNG
I got at 20in pre-fit for 6CM and it shoots great. McGowen is the blank used in Carbon Six and I have nothing but good things about Carbon Six barrels.

Bartlein is also a really good barrel maker, I have 2 that shoot amazing.

What challenges did you have ?
Wrong contour on the first. I sent in a vintage barrel for them to match and they missed the rear sight bulge by a good 1/8" and it wouldn't fit into the stock.

Second barrel was a heavier than the weight they quoted me by about 5 oz.

They offered to re-do the first barrel (however I don't see how you make that obvious of a mistake when you have the old barrel in your hands to match it) but I didn't want to wait another 12 weeks.

Neither barrel shot lights-out. Neither were awful, but not what I'd call great.

The last barrel I ordered was from X-Caliber. They hit their estimated delivery time and the barrel looks and shoots great. Zero problems. I'll be sticking with X-Caliber for now.