McGowen Lead Time

OP
Tullis94

Tullis94

WKR
Well, got notification to pay my balance this afternoon and was told it would ship Monday. Ordered it 4 weeks ago today. I'm pleased with that!
Wow that is fast! I wont have all the other parts if mine comes that soon.

amassi

WKR
Wow that is fast! I wont have all the other parts if mine comes that soon.
Same boat I'm in with a tikka build
Ordered the barrel and stock on the same day~5 weeks ago. Barrel is here stock is still 12 weeks out.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Jimbee

WKR
I received my barrel a couple weeks ago. Put it on my Tikka receiver and chambered 2 different kinds of factory ammo, Norma and Hornady Precision. With Hornady Precision the bolt closed really hard and left swipe marks on some of them. I ordered a go guage. Couldn't close bolt on go guage. Called McGowen and explained and they sent me a shipping label. My barrel is now headed back. (18 inch, 300wsm, Tikka profile flared for 5/8x24, 1:9).

OP
Tullis94

Tullis94

WKR
I got the email today that my barrel has shipped. That will put me at about 8 weeks from date of order to having it in my hands. I am really happy with that!

ID_Matt

WKR
I received my barrel a couple weeks ago. Put it on my Tikka receiver and chambered 2 different kinds of factory ammo, Norma and Hornady Precision. With Hornady Precision the bolt closed really hard and left swipe marks on some of them. I ordered a go guage. Couldn't close bolt on go guage. Called McGowen and explained and they sent me a shipping label. My barrel is now headed back. (18 inch, 300wsm, Tikka profile flared for 5/8x24, 1:9).
In their defense, it could be that the receiver specs are off enough to cause that, not necessarily the barrel to blame. I know tikka's tolerances are pretty dang good but not perfect.

Has anyone ordered a prefit from McGowen lately? The website says at 12 week lead time, but it has said that for years. I'm just curious how long it has taken people to get their barrels recently. I have one on order but all he told me was that it it would likely be less time rather than more.
Not recently but a couple winters ago I ordered two from them and 12 weeks was about right.

That said, I ordered my last barrel from X-Caliber and will be using them in the future.

salo225

FNG
Just got an email mine is done. 6 1/2 weeks. They seem to get faster each time I order another one.
What the hell, man. What exactly did you order? I wonder if certain, more commonly ordered barrels are just produced/shipped faster than others?

What the hell, man. What exactly did you order? I wonder if certain, more commonly ordered barrels are just produced/shipped faster than others?
It was about as common of a barrel as they probably get. Stainless 308 savage prefit with a threaded muzzle.