McMillan Game Warden Alternatives?

Spark352

Lil-Rokslider
I am currently running a Sako A7 with a proof Sendero in a McMillan game warden. The comb height is not enough for me to get a proper cheek weld with a low rings/rail set up or Talley mediums. This really limits the scope options I have. Any alternative stocks that you would recommend? Being a Sako A7 I am limited with stock manufacturers.

I wouldn't mind going adjustable if I could keep the weight down. Does anyone have an adjustable game warden in edge fill that would mind sharing the weight? The current stock weight is 36.5oz with standard fill. Would like to keep the weight around there. Does anyone know if the game warden 2.0 has a higher comb height? What about an A-3 in edge fill? Would it be a similar weight with a higher comb height?

I ran a cheek riser and did not care for it. Really looking for a stock in that weight range that will allow me to run a rail with medium rings and scopes up to 50mm. Thanks for the input

BBob

WKR
May not be what you need or want for this stock but if you ever have a need for an adjustable cheek piece at not a lot of added weight Joe Ducos aka stockdoc converts lots of stocks to adjustable. He uses Terry Cross's KMW Loggerhead hardware and it adds ~4.5oz total to convert one. Do a general web search for him and you'll find lots of happy customers and pictures of his work.

May not be what you need or want for this stock but if you ever have a need for an adjustable cheek piece at not a lot of added weight Joe Ducos aka stockdoc converts lots of stocks to adjustable. He uses Terry Cross's KMW Loggerhead hardware and it adds ~4.5oz total to convert one. Do a general web search for him and you'll find lots of happy customers and pictures of his work.
This is the right answer, also the fastest and cheapest unless you want something super simple like a Triad stock pack.

OP
Spark352

Spark352

Lil-Rokslider
Seems like a solid solution, but not sure I really want to add more weight. I ran the traid pad for awhile and got tired of the weight (6-7oz). Running a rifle suppressed with a bipod, weight adds up quick. That’s why I’m trying to stay around that 36oz mark to allow room for some decent glass.

I might call McMillan tomorrow and see if they can walk me through a few rough weights on edge fill adjustables. If is only going to be a 1-2oz difference might save the money and go with a KMW though.

OP
Spark352

Spark352

Lil-Rokslider
Very solid point. Always forget that the suppressor is a “want” not a “need”. I’ve just grown use to always having it on my rifle.

I’ve reached out to Joe Ducos via SH so hopefully I get a reply here soon. Still not fully convinced on adding 4.5oz to my stock but after running some weight numbers on my rifle, it’ll still be around my set weight mark. So thanks for the heads up guys! Might have just saved me a good chunk of change to put towards some new glass.

What is the chambering? McMillan Edge fill stocks are fairly well known for failing on bigger magnums. I've broken more than one so that might be a consideration if you're thinking about a replacement stock vs modifying what you have.

I'm not bashing McMillan at all, I love em. I've simply moved away from the Edge fill on magnums.

OP
Spark352

Spark352

Lil-Rokslider
I’m running a 300 WSM. Recently started looking into the edge fill and it seems that there have been a few cracked stocks reviews when you start getting up in the magnums.

Doing some math it seems after the conversion the rifle with a rail and rings along with an ATACR 4-16 would be right at the 10lbs mark. Not the lightest but an acceptable weight.

Wrench

WKR
I have a game scout edge adjustable around here that I could weigh if it helps.

OP
Spark352

Spark352

Lil-Rokslider
I have a A7 with the Game Warden, I just formed up a piece of Kydex and used 10# 3M Velcro to attach it to the stock. Its adjustable, lightweight and non permanent.

View attachment 417134
Is your stock an edge fill or standard? If it’s an edge fill do you happen to know the weight? Wondering what the weight savings would actually be between the two

OP
Spark352

Spark352

Lil-Rokslider
I have a game scout edge adjustable around here that I could weigh if it helps.
If you wouldn’t mind weighing it, that would be great. I’m sure the scout and warden are pretty close in weight

I have an A7 roughtech pro and it’s the most consistently accurate factory rifle I’ve owned or ever seen. I don’t want to mess with it but the Bell and Carlson it comes in is 44oz and has a noodle for a forend. @JoeDirt, did you order the stock for that barrel profile or have to open it up yourself? Reason I ask is the roughtech pro comes with a much heavier barrel than the regular A7s in the plastic stocks. Very interested in this thread!

OP
Spark352

Spark352

Lil-Rokslider
I have an A7 roughtech pro and it’s the most consistently accurate factory rifle I’ve owned or ever seen. I don’t want to mess with it but the Bell and Carlson it comes in is 44oz and has a noodle for a forend. @JoeDirt, did you order the stock for that barrel profile or have to open it up yourself? Reason I ask is the roughtech pro comes with a much heavier barrel than the regular A7s in the plastic stocks. Very interested in this thread!
The game warden will fit up to a #8 contour barrel. Mine fits my proof Sendero carbon with no issues. I believe when you order stock from McMillan you can specify your barrel contour. Shouldn't have an issue fitting a factory roughtech barrel.

OP
Spark352

Spark352

Lil-Rokslider
The adjustable hardware will balance out that suppressor nicely.
Another solid point. I've spoken with Joe and will be sending my stock out this week. Communication has been smooth so far and the price/turnaround time seems like a solid deal. Joe said the amount of material that needs to be removed almost balances out the 5.6oz the loggerhead adds. I doubt that's 100% true but I do believe it will only add around the 2-4oz range. A little more weight in the rear will help with the suppressor weight.

Lawnboi

WKR
Another solid point. I've spoken with Joe and will be sending my stock out this week. Communication has been smooth so far and the price/turnaround time seems like a solid deal. Joe said the amount of material that needs to be removed almost balances out the 5.6oz the loggerhead adds. I doubt that's 100% true but I do believe it will only add around the 2-4oz range. A little more weight in the rear will help with the suppressor weight.
LRI has UL hardware as well and would also be worth checking out

If it wasn’t a sako I’d say dump it for an eh1

I use a triad stock pack on my game warden.