McMillan T3 stock newbie question

tikkaPA

FNG
Hello all. Google searches on the topic kept leading me to Rokslide, and this seems to be a pretty good forum so thought I'd join and ask some questions myself.

I've got a Tikka T3 Lite that I've been hunting with for the past 12 or so years. I love the rifle. It shoots great, handles well and has been my go-to for anything from whitetail to elk. My biggest complaint is the stock. It feels ok, but the dang hollow sound is frustrating. I know Tikka made some upgrades with their stocks in the T3x line. Since the price of a good aftermarket stock is almost as much as the T3x itself, I thought about just buying a new T3x. But after mulling it over I think I'm just not willing to part with my rifle. I know it's just some plastic and steel but I think folks will understand -- there's a sentimentality to it.

I finally decided I'm going to suck it up and buy a good, quality aftermarket stock. I have no experience, but Manners and McMillan jump out as a couple of the well-respected brands. I don't have much reason for it but think I am leaning towards a McMillan. Unfortunately it doesn't look like finding one in-stock is going to happen, which means I'll need to do a custom order. I took a look at their order form and it's a little intimidating. I mount my own scopes, will field strip to clean and do various other things, but I am not a gunsmith. A few questions:

* If half of the custom order form looks like a foreign language to me, will I be able to successfully order a custom stock via phone?

* Is this something I can handle doing myself? The accuracy of my Tikka is excellent, and I have no complaints there. I understand the factory stock is not bedded at all -- will a drop-in on a mcmillan stock give me similar results? I've seen people do pillar bedding themselves but am not sure if that's a bridge too far given my abilities. No one has ever complained about their rifle being too accurate, but at the same time there's a point of diminishing returns. What's a recommendation here?

* Anything else I should be considering?

Thanks!!

I plan to stock my t3x, eventually I’m looking at manners or this one from Mesaprecision. Don’t forget to put a lighter spring in when the stock is off for the trigger.

@Mark at EXO talks about upgrading his stock on their blog.

Lawnboi

WKR
Iv got 2 mcmillan tikka stocks now. Can’t speak for the second as I havnt gotten my barreled action back to put into it. However my first is awesome. It’s an adjustable game scout. The inlet was spot on, pillars making contact with the receiver like they should. I have not bedded it as I didn’t think it was needed, groups shrank going to this stock. I don’t plan to bed the second until after I shoot it and determine if it needs it. I called to order both times, they should be able to walk you through what you need. I was happy enough with my game scout that I ordered another. AG and manners inlets both left me scratching my head a little bit however the manners mini chassis is very nice if you want to run aics magazines. 66603DE6-7362-4001-A9FB-D1FA2AF0BD04.jpeg
Edit: I got a new stock because I could impart torque on the plastic and cause shifts in POI. I also wanted to get rid of all the plastic. The above tikka has no plastic, all metal on metal contact. On top of having no plastic I also got a much more comfortable stock with a vertical grip and adjustable cheek piece, along with a tripod mounting point.

Last edited:
Do you want to keep the factory feel if the stock? Or are you interested in changing up the ergonomics? Do you have a goal weight?

OP
T

tikkaPA

FNG
So is it worth getting the machined in pillars even if I don't plan on bedding it?

I've ready about people swapping out the bottom metal, both to replace the plastic and to go to an alternate mag configuration. I don't think I've got much drive to do either, and if I do anything I'll probably swap out for a metal bottom that takes the factory mags. At the risk of starting a whole other debate, I sort of prefer the factory mags over metal. I'm not opposed to some plastic on my rifle.

I'm happiest when I can walk while hunting. It's a little tricky to be quiet enough on a crisp fall day in the East, but being light and mobile is a good thing. That being said I'm not unhappy with the weight of my current factory configuration. Ideally I'd shed a few ounces but I don't want to mess with the balance much either. I'm also not looking to change the ergonomics much. Definitely wouldn't mind a grippier stock (the factory stock is pretty smooth) and maybe a little higher comb but honestly I've never had an issue with the way the factory stock feels when I shoulder it. The McMillan stock I was eyeing was a Hunter's Edge.

renagde

WKR
So is it worth getting the machined in pillars even if I don't plan on bedding it?

I've ready about people swapping out the bottom metal, both to replace the plastic and to go to an alternate mag configuration. I don't think I've got much drive to do either, and if I do anything I'll probably swap out for a metal bottom that takes the factory mags. At the risk of starting a whole other debate, I sort of prefer the factory mags over metal. I'm not opposed to some plastic on my rifle.

I'm happiest when I can walk while hunting. It's a little tricky to be quiet enough on a crisp fall day in the East, but being light and mobile is a good thing. That being said I'm not unhappy with the weight of my current factory configuration. Ideally I'd shed a few ounces but I don't want to mess with the balance much either. I'm also not looking to change the ergonomics much. Definitely wouldn't mind a grippier stock (the factory stock is pretty smooth) and maybe a little higher comb but honestly I've never had an issue with the way the factory stock feels when I shoulder it. The McMillan stock I was eyeing was a Hunter's Edge.
I just dropped my T3X into a McMillan Game Scout and love it. I was able to find what I wanted used and it worked out great. According to McMillan, they don't even recommend bedding their stocks, I guess because when they inlet the stocks they hold them to tight tolerances. Obviously, it's never going to hurt.

I replaced my bottom metal with one from Mountain Tactical and I'm happy with it.

The other stock you may want to take a look at is the Allterra Arms Axial stock. I know there is a thread here somewhere about a group buy going on for those. They have a little more traditional ergonomics (no vertical grip) but the grip is fatter and should definitely have a better feel than the factory stock.

Having fun modding the Tikka, once you start down that bunny trail it's hard to stop.

OP
T

tikkaPA

FNG
Don’t forget to put a lighter spring in when the stock is off for the trigger.

To reduce trigger pull? Any recommendations? I haven't had any complaints about the factory trigger, but realize triggers are a bit like wine. You don't mind the cheap ones until you've had the good stuff.

OP
T

tikkaPA

FNG
The other stock you may want to take a look at is the Allterra Arms Axial stock. I know there is a thread here somewhere about a group buy going on for those. They have a little more traditional ergonomics (no vertical grip) but the grip is fatter and should definitely have a better feel than the factory stock.

It looks like that group buy is over. I can't post there yet but i'd be curious to see how they all liked their order. After I hit 10 posts I'll try and remember to ask.

How do you like the vertical grip on the Game Scout? Is your T3x a hunting rifle or do you use it primarily at the range? I'm not opposed to changing up the ergonomics but I'm a little nervous about swapping it out on a hunting rifle. I've shot rifles with more vertical grips, but shooting on a bench and carrying through the woods are different animals.

Spoonbill

WKR
To reduce trigger pull? Any recommendations? I haven't had any complaints about the factory trigger, but realize triggers are a bit like wine. You don't mind the cheap ones until you've had the good stuff.
If you like the trigger, I would just keep it as is. I put an AG composites Alpine hunter on my Tikka and have been happy with it so far. Like you, my biggest complaint was the stock. Take a look at Wildcat Composites too. They are out of Canada and will inlet for right hand tikkas. Also Bell and Carlson makes a tikka stock, but it will add weight. Some love bc and some hate them.

OP
T

tikkaPA

FNG
Thanks. B&C was originally on my radar but i'm nervous about adding weight to my rifle. Boyds makes some beautiful stocks but they'd add even more weight.

Am I missing something with Wildcat Composites? I think they only make it in a magnum configuration. My Tikka is a .308 (don't think i mentioned that yet).

Spoonbill

WKR
Thanks. B&C was originally on my radar but i'm nervous about adding weight to my rifle. Boyds makes some beautiful stocks but they'd add even more weight.

Am I missing something with Wildcat Composites? I think they only make it in a magnum configuration. My Tikka is a .308 (don't think i mentioned that yet).
All tikka’s use the same action but different bolt stops for long action calibers. So your 308 will fit.

OP
T

tikkaPA

FNG
Ah, ok. I figured the magnums must've had a different barrel profile since they specifically called it out. If it's all the same then I'll keep Wildcat Composites in mind as well.

Lawnboi

WKR
In regards to the trigger, the stock trigger can be adjusted down to 2ish pounds. IMO there is no need for less on a hunting rifle for most situations. Again this is only my opinion, I see why I would want a 12oz trigger on a match gun but not on a rifle I’m carrying in the woods.

Also in regards to a vertical grip.... I can’t go back. I prefer it for every field position Iv shot.

EcoastDG

FNG
I have 3 Mcmillan stocks including one on my main hunting rifle, a Tikka 7 Rem mag, that I had custom ordered. I would call Mcmillan and they will certainly walk you through an order. They are well worth the wait.

KU_Geo

WKR
I have had several and honestly haven’t found any of the upgrades really worth the money. Just had a AGC and I let was less than stellar. For traditional hunting stock, mcmillan sako classic Is definitely the winner in my book. For a more vertical grip, I favor the Mesa altitude. But the altitude isn’t much improvement over the T3x stock with a vertical grip and a 1/4” foam cheek pad slapped on the stock For the cost of $25...

renagde

WKR
It looks like that group buy is over. I can't post there yet but i'd be curious to see how they all liked their order. After I hit 10 posts I'll try and remember to ask.

How do you like the vertical grip on the Game Scout? Is your T3x a hunting rifle or do you use it primarily at the range? I'm not opposed to changing up the ergonomics but I'm a little nervous about swapping it out on a hunting rifle. I've shot rifles with more vertical grips, but shooting on a bench and carrying through the woods are different animals.
I love the vertical grip. I hunt western PA so I know all about drives and stand hunting. In my opinion, there are no cons to shooting a rifle with a vertical grip. It is just as comfortable for me to shoot it as a sporter style stock from a standing/walking position. In fact I put on 10 miles stomping northern PA game lands on opening day and didn't have any issues carrying my rifle.

I would second the trigger spring. 2 minutes to install and $10.

I see you're from central PA, you're more than welcome to handle my rifle if you want to check it out sometime. I'm in south eastern PA.