MD Bear Attack

OXN939

WKR
Pretty weird one. Can't say I knew that MD employed a bear biologist before this, his appears to be the only scientific, logical report on the incident. In any case, interesting reminder that black bears deserve a healthy dose of respect throughout their range. Saw one this weekend bowhunting in VA that made me very glad I was carrying.

7Bartman

WKR
If I could finally pull my MD bear tag I'd like to help out with the problem.

There was a moderately severe attack in Meyersville about two years ago. The bear take in this state is pretty pathetic - certainly not a controller on the population (not that the population is out of control, but its getting stronger).

Because of the way tags are issued, and the laws in this state regarding bear hunting, its more or less a shot in the dark unless you have land in western MD that bears are frequenting for a 'natural' food source - i.e., corn.

Otherwise, no baiting, no dog hunting.

That said, I still wish I had drawn a tag this year. Of the many hunting opportunities I've missed out on, not knowing about dog hunting when I was in school in SW Virginia is at the top of the list.