MD Sika Trip

scwilso35

FNG
Looks like plans are finally set to hunt sika deer in MD this year. My dad and I have been talking about doing this since last hunting season. We originally had plans to hunt Blackwater NWR with a good friend of ours that lived in MD. Unfortunately, he passed away a little over a month ago. Nevertheless, we're still planning to give it a try, but are planning to hunt Assateague NS instead. I expect it's going to be a unique, challenging hunt, but I'm pretty excited for it. We were originally hoping to hunt in late October, but November is the only time that works for both of us. We'll be missing the first three days of WV buck season. Hopefully won't be too late in the season to hear those little guys bugling in the marsh. I have read a couple older threads on here about sika hunting, but if anybody has stories or experiences they would like to share I encourage you to post them here.

I’ve never done it but know people who have and I’ve done lots of research and watched quite a but of video. It’s not easy. They live in the thick stuff. Find trails and get up in a treestand where you can see an intersection. When you see one you need to be ready to shoot fast.

Google up some video it’s fun to watch. Success rates are fairly low really but I want to try that myself. Like anything I think if you kept going back and learning your area and how to do it you’d do ok.

Last edited:

Rob5589

WKR
From podcasts I've listened to it sounds like a unique and cool hunt. Good luck!

I live an hour from Blackwater. I’ve never hunted assateague for sika. You coming for firearms season or archery?
As mentioned they love the thick stuff and the stage like to keep their feet wet.

Last edited:
Here’s a couple from the last few seasons

Attachments

• EC4E3881-6D06-4553-A465-4E1517D77180.jpeg
    EC4E3881-6D06-4553-A465-4E1517D77180.jpeg
    420.4 KB · Views: 94
  • B49C5875-387E-44A5-BBE4-CD55B71B7473.jpeg
    B49C5875-387E-44A5-BBE4-CD55B71B7473.jpeg
    444.1 KB · Views: 94
  • 6F3631EB-4483-46D6-A773-4583D710CBC6.jpeg
    6F3631EB-4483-46D6-A773-4583D710CBC6.jpeg
    707.7 KB · Views: 93
  • 4D8392DA-C547-4E89-8A1E-D707A95D0811.jpeg
    4D8392DA-C547-4E89-8A1E-D707A95D0811.jpeg
    290.6 KB · Views: 91
  • 8D553DC9-852E-41B8-A475-5C151E71B1AC.jpeg
    8D553DC9-852E-41B8-A475-5C151E71B1AC.jpeg
    410.2 KB · Views: 87
  • 628E4F8F-CEC3-48DB-B4F7-350D60981AC1.jpeg
    628E4F8F-CEC3-48DB-B4F7-350D60981AC1.jpeg
    383.8 KB · Views: 87
  • 22EFC8A1-7B78-4DC7-8B85-085FF7AFA415.jpeg
    22EFC8A1-7B78-4DC7-8B85-085FF7AFA415.jpeg
    424.8 KB · Views: 93
Don’t just show me pictures give me some pointers! When is the best time to hunt? When is the rut?

OP
scwilso35

scwilso35

FNG
I live an hour from Blackwater. I’ve never hunted assateague for sika. You coming for firearms season or archery?
As mentioned they love the thick stuff and the stage like to keep their feet wet.
Love the photos. We will be hunting archery (crossbow). Still waiting on Assateague's 2022-23 hunt plan to be published, but it should be the last week before shotgun and muzzleloader season opens there, besides a one week muzzeleloader season in October. According to the ranger I spoke with they do not expect season dates to change significantly. Their seasons run a little different than the state's. Any idea if stags will still be bugling in late November?

Love the photos. We will be hunting archery (crossbow). Still waiting on Assateague's 2022-23 hunt plan to be published, but it should be the last week before shotgun and muzzleloader season opens there, besides a one week muzzeleloader season in October. According to the ranger I spoke with they do not expect season dates to change significantly. Their seasons run a little different than the state's. Any idea if stags will still be bugling in late November?
They’ll be bugling, nowhere near like they do in October. I killed a stag during our January firearms season bugling and chasing hinds.

Last edited:

7Bartman

WKR
Grew up in Dorchester County. You're better off hunting Blackwater than Assateague. There used to be tons of deer at Assateague, but the plan there is to eradicate them.

Here's a few calling tips.

hutty

Lil-Rokslider
Second what others have said about Blackwater over Assateague I live in Maryland and do a fair amount of sika hunting including mentor hunts at Blackwater. Assateague has a bit more rules and for bow it's even tougher. Blackwater is a permit system as well but they have done more to manage the crowds in the last few years. They are fun to hunt, challenging, and tasty. Hunting pressure has increased A LOT in the last few years.

Better bring hip boots and at least one thermacell. The mosquitoes are called the local air force and they will drive you nuts. Kayak or canoe depending on where you hunt can get you into more places. Prepare for mud, serious suck mud. The rut is September into early October. They will bugle year round but won't be chasing nearly as much. They call them Marsh Ghosts for a reason.

Good luck!

OP
scwilso35

scwilso35

FNG
Second what others have said about Blackwater over Assateague I live in Maryland and do a fair amount of sika hunting including mentor hunts at Blackwater. Assateague has a bit more rules and for bow it's even tougher. Blackwater is a permit system as well but they have done more to manage the crowds in the last few years.
Interesting, I've been comparing the two and feel that Assateague actually has less red tape than Blackwater. No permit application, no restrictions on scouting dates, camping available, etc., unless something changes in their hunt plan this year.

I appreciate your insight! Will still consider giving Blackwater a try.

hutty

Lil-Rokslider
Interesting, I've been comparing the two and feel that Assateague actually has less red tape than Blackwater. No permit application, no restrictions on scouting dates, camping available, etc., unless something changes in their hunt plan this year.

I appreciate your insight! Will still consider giving Blackwater a try.
Couple of State WMA's which don't require permits Taylors Island and Fishing Bay.

NB7

WKR
For anyone who thinks western hunting is becoming too crowded...
For those of us in Maryland, we deal with hunters coming from all over MD, DE, PA, NJ, NY, VA and elsewhere to hunt sika. For the most part, these deer are all found in essentially one county on MD's eastern shore (with a few outlying wanderers here and there and also the small population on Assateague.) If you think it's bad having hunters coming to the west and hunting millions of public acres, imagine what the pressure is like when hunters from all over come to one county.

Granted, they're elusive, mostly nocturnal and, due to the habitat they live in, would be pretty hard to eradicate, but I've killed them on both private and public land and can say the pressure is INSANE on public ground in the last few years. No small thanks to Meateater (sarcasm).
I guess I'm whining... not trying to dissuade anyone, just saying don't expect much solitude. The Blackwater system helps a little to limit hunters at any given time. Good luck and don't forget a Thermacell. Sometimes it helps, sometimes not.

7Bartman and Mdfowlman2, nice stags though, you guys got it dialed in.

wlzy

FNG
good luck! I have been starting to look into doing a sika hunt. let us know how it goes!

OP
scwilso35

scwilso35

FNG
I started this post a while back, but figured I'd update for those interested.

Overall, we had a great time. We took the advice of those who suggested to hunt Blackwater NWR rather than Assateague Island. We hunted mid-November and basically had four full days to hunt. We did not get a deer, but heard up to four stags bugling every morning and evening. Closest ones I guess were inside of 200 yards, but I did not have much success with calling. Tracks and wallows everywhere. Deer movement seemed to be heavily nocturnal. I did not see a deer while on stand, but dad saw a few hinds that did not give him a shot opportunity. Typically bumped into deer while walking in and out of our spots in the dark. Encountered two other hunters. Night time low temps were typically in the low 30s and daytime highs were about the high 40s/low 50's. We got lucky, as I only counted four mosquitoes during the whole trip. Was blessed with a great place to stay. The experience was more than I could have hoped for. I hope to try it again in the near future.