MEALS YOU CANT LIVE WITHOUT!!

1shotgear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
If your traveling in the backcountry and you are trying to save on weight why cut yourself short on food. I am a fat kid at heart haha I have to have good food with me when I hunt or am even hiking for the day. I understand the pakaroons and the dry food meals but when it comes down to it I cant and I mean cant live off that stuff for a week just wont happen. I truly love my sweets as well as PB&J. I just use a plastic Tupperware to put the bread in so it doesn't get smashed and its easy to make instead of having to try and cook a meal plus like I said who can live on those dry food meals for a week. The heathers choice meals are great for easy good meals but I cant live on them. What other easy meals do you guys bring in the field that you can not live without.

92xj

WKR
All of the next mile meals.
Peak refuel breakfast skillet deal.
Munk protein cookies.

These are with me on every trip now

Florida Bow Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Tuna in olive oil right out of the can, and same thing with pork and beans.

I’m too old and not fit enough for the back country @ this stage in life. But I’ve been getting plenty of practice down here in South Florida when we go off the grid after a hurricane blows this place apart.

Truthfully, I have to have coffee somehow so I can stay “regular”. For people aged like me, that’s the true key to living a high energy life. Dump a good one in the morning, and I’m good for 24 hours.

I’ve done tuna, beans, PB&jelly with 1 coffee for 10 days before I buttoned up the house and flew out. So I know I can handle it.

Start there and supplement with some fresh kill liver, heart and blackstrap.

One of the shows I like is that “MeatEater” show. Kid is Italian and always brings great spices with set plans how he will cook whatever he shoots. I seen him and friends lick their fingers eating coyote !!! Campfire meat does taste better. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sweetroll

FNG
Gotta start making your own . Way better on your system, cheaper, and you get exactly what you want. We had blueberry chocolate angel food cake, pineapple upside down cake, peach cobbler and others for snacks on top of normal meals. All great for the fat kid us all and still super light. Check out “recipes for adventure” for lots of great meals and how to make em all with a dehydrator.

EastMT

WKR
One of my favorite snacks is the Lil Chub sausages and shelf stable cheese. It’s not ultralight but I love it for part of my midday meal.

The other is the caffeinated Clif Blok gummies. 50 mg of caffeine mid day, no fire, peps you right up. (Don’t eat a whole one at once, you get a little jittery haha)

I have yet to be begin to procrastinate.

Mike 338

WKR
I guess I can live without it but I like to cut up and cook some steak low and slow with onions till fork tender. Make a huge pot of chili. I usually use a couple different canned beans but everything else in it is "involved" and just the way I like it. Toss the meat in and simmer a while longer and dehydrate for meals. I re-hydrate a good 10 hours or actually I usually add water for the next days meal. It's as good as at home except at home, I never seem to make it. You can vacuum seal it and toss it in the freezer and it will last a very long tome. Guess it's just for special occasions... like hunting.

I go stoveless and stop at the store and buy whatever meal bars, other bars, trail mix and whatever they have or is on sale and go hunting. I guess I always take the blueberry Cliff bars as well as Belvida biscuits in blueberry and cranberry.

Mosby

WKR
Not homemade but I always buy Taste of Thai Peanut noodles to take with me. It is basically a dehydrated meal but it is really good and high in calories. Buy them at the local grocery store. I also try to take a large hoagie with me on the hike in. I have them leave off the mayo. Not the lightest food but I really look forward to eating it when hiking in and after we get set for the night. I don't have to mess finding water for my meal or cooking that first night. My nephew about killed me in Idaho when I whipped out a sandwhich to eat for dinner last season.

1557461334517.png

OP
1shotgear

1shotgear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Man that's awesome there all great I will have to check into that. Thanks for all the feed back it is great to see what we all cant live without on the mountain or for you Florida guys the swamps haha.

Gotta start making your own . Way better on your system, cheaper, and you get exactly what you want. We had blueberry chocolate angel food cake, pineapple upside down cake, peach cobbler and others for snacks on top of normal meals. All great for the fat kid us all and still super light. Check out “recipes for adventure” for lots of great meals and how to make em all with a dehydrator.

Glendon Mullins

Hillbilly Moderator
Staff member
I still don't know how u guys haven't heard of, or used West Virginia Pepperoni Rolls, to me it seems they would make the perfect backcountry snack/lunch/meal you can wrap em in clear plastic wrap and they keep for a while, one week no problem!

They were popularized in West Virginia by the coal miners taking their lunches with them deep into the mines to eat

"It was a true WV innovation — a snack that needed no refrigeration or heat, but hearty enough to be meal. Something we can pack with us to take out into the scenic WV mountains, and even camping for a few days.As simple as it seems, the flavor of a pepperoni roll is deliciously memorable. The cravings for its gooey goodness call out to first-timers so intensely"

renagde

WKR
I still don't know how u guys haven't heard of, or used West Virginia Pepperoni Rolls, to me it seems they would make the perfect backcountry snack/lunch/meal you can wrap em in clear plastic wrap and they keep for a while, one week no problem!

They were popularized in West Virginia by the coal miners taking their lunches with them deep into the mines to eat

"It was a true WV innovation — a snack that needed no refrigeration or heat, but hearty enough to be meal. Something we can pack with us to take out into the scenic WV mountains, and even camping for a few days.As simple as it seems, the flavor of a pepperoni roll is deliciously memorable. The cravings for its gooey goodness call out to first-timers so intensely"

Nothing better then a fresh pepperoni roll straight out of the oven! We used to make these and stick a piece of habanero cheddar in with the pepperoni. Golly now my mouth is watering.