Mean income.....

ctfxd3

Lil-Rokslider
I'm glad I did to financially responsible thing and became a bow hunter......
1becabc436a005111fc6711b5f7d8155.jpg

This is awesome

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I'm glad I did to financially responsible thing and became a bow hunter......

Uncontrollable buying has nothing to do with the hobby. It will carry over into whatever endeavor one chooses.......if they let it. All those BH's look like my wife's shoe collection. I couldn't even get into our walk-in closet because of all the shoes. So she brings home a couple 50-pair shoe racks. I was thinking........"great, now I can get into the closet". So I see the new shoe racks in the basement completely filled with 100 pairs of shoes and then go upstairs to our closet. It hasn't changed! What on earth????

I keep telling her to start investing, and she says "Oh, I'm already investing". Ya.........in jack-o-lanterns........a bunch of stuff that will be worthless and at Goodwill when she's done with it. At least you can get some money back on the BH's.

elkyinzer

WKR
Shiny new things are admittedly nice but I am somewhat of a slacker and would like to retire by 60 so I mostly restrain myself. I'm not much of a status guy either. I'm pretty comfortable with my lot in life. Everyone comes from a different mindset.

Certainly it's harder than ever to keep up with the Joneses when the Joneses are instagram hashtags and youtobe vids. Things were a little simpler when you could just take your shiny new Winchester down to the corner bar and be the talk of the town for the evening.

Boats anymore blow my mind. Trucks too. I don't know what it says about the state of manhood in America, the trim packages on trucks now are just freaking goofy. Are they designing trucks for hollywood divas or rough and tumble dudes? I'm not really sure anymore. Does having a $100k Ranger boat make you a better fisherman than those of us slumming it in a tin can?

My mother in law buys those fancy people purses I assume just to show off status. I highly doubt they carry any better than something you can get at Target. Really, though it's sad. There's something going on there, some kind of demons, and all you can really do is shake your head and say a prayer if its someone you care about. There is definitely A LOT of that going on in the hunting/fishing/general manhood world these days. Not that I don't have my own, though. Glass houses, right?

Trial153

WKR
Uncontrollable buying has nothing to do with the hobby. It will carry over into whatever endeavor one chooses.......if they let it. All those BH's look like my wife's shoe collection. I couldn't even get into our walk-in closet because of all the shoes. So she brings home a couple 50-pair shoe racks. I was thinking........"great, now I can get into the closet". So I see the new shoe racks in the basement completely filled with 100 pairs of shoes and then go upstairs to our closet. It hasn't changed! What on earth????

I keep telling her to start investing, and she says "Oh, I'm already investing". Ya.........in jack-o-lanterns........a bunch of stuff that will be worthless and at Goodwill when she's done with it. At least you can get some money back on the BH's.

My wifes shoe collection is pretty good as well. She gets her moneys worth out them considering her daily time at her office.
When a women looks as good a my wife in nice shoes and cloths , and the fact that I bowhunt months on end ...there is no freaking way that I can complain about her shoe buying or wardrobe spending ..or anything else for that matter.

87TT

WKR
870's can be had pretty cheap. I've spent more than a few afternoons spanking the Benelli and Beretta crowd with one.
That being said those Benellis sure are nice!
I shoot trap with an 870 "turkey gun". Plastic stock, full camo and a sling. But some of the guys I shoot with have them Browning, Benelli, Beretta and Perazzi.

You only live once, and there will always more money to be made. I am thankfully i was brought up around people that made making money look easy and those habits and that kind of thinking carried over to me.

Those raised around people like you describe are truly blessed. My world view used to skew heavily towards people’s situations being a product of ambition/laziness, intelligence, opportunity, and choices/interests/personal values. After living and working in a few regions with very limited economic opportunity and high crime and poverty rates my thoughts changed a bit. When everyone someone grows up around is uneducated, broke, a criminal, etc it doesn’t even cross many folks mind that there is opportunity for more out there. When they do find something more, they still often get sucked back into the shitty decisions of everyone close to them. It's a hard thing to break away from the mindset that keeps people there.

To the point of this thread, everyone values things differently. At 32 I lived on the road, used my parents address as a permanent address, and didn't own a vehicle. At the same time I was also able to pay for a dall sheep hunt without incurring any financial strain. Crazy the things a guy can pay for when he doesn't have to pay for rent/mortgage, a vehicle, kids, wife, insurance, fuel, or food.

Last edited:

BFR

WKR
I have to agree, if someone puts a $ limit stay within it. If someone wants the newest bestest most expensive rifle and has the $ go for it. Sure I’d love to have a custom whatever in an exotic caliber but not enough to spend $1000s for it. My go to rifle is a JC Higgins model 52 30-06, manufactured in 1951, I’ve had for 60 years. Old timers remember those? My “fancy” one is a pre 64 Win model 70, traded a Marlin 357mag carbine for it, paid $275 for the Marlin new. Both have Leupold 4x12 CDS scopes, one given to me the second was a discounted demo.

Shiny new things are admittedly nice but I am somewhat of a slacker and would like to retire by 60 so I mostly restrain myself. I'm not much of a status guy either. I'm pretty comfortable with my lot in life. Everyone comes from a different mindset.

Certainly it's harder than ever to keep up with the Joneses when the Joneses are instagram hashtags and youtobe vids. Things were a little simpler when you could just take your shiny new Winchester down to the corner bar and be the talk of the town for the evening.

Boats anymore blow my mind. Trucks too. I don't know what it says about the state of manhood in America, the trim packages on trucks now are just freaking goofy. Are they designing trucks for hollywood divas or rough and tumble dudes? I'm not really sure anymore. Does having a $100k Ranger boat make you a better fisherman than those of us slumming it in a tin can?

My mother in law buys those fancy people purses I assume just to show off status. I highly doubt they carry any better than something you can get at Target. Really, though it's sad. There's something going on there, some kind of demons, and all you can really do is shake your head and say a prayer if its someone you care about. There is definitely A LOT of that going on in the hunting/fishing/general manhood world these days. Not that I don't have my own, though. Glass houses, right?
Winner.

wyosam

WKR
You can get all you need in a hunting scope for under $600 unless you hunt in one of the few circumstances where you need truly exceptional low light performance. $300, really. And considering you need to replace your scope every several years to account for worn components and aging coatings, spending a thousand or more doesn't make sense unless you just want to.

I can’t imagine wearing out a scope of decent quality in “several years” without abusing the heck out of it. Replace every few years because there is something newer/cooler? Sure. Heck, even the decades old glass on my “truck gun” that has been used and abused, including living in the cab of my road grader when I worked for the county for a decade is still bright, clear, and reliable as a hammer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s more a question of time for these big ticket items.

Budgeting and saving well for decades allows for “big” expenses to look small.

A $5k optic sounds expensive in your 20s, but at 60, it’s a 0.25% daily move in your retirement fund.

If that’s your only hobby, and you are still working and saving, that sounds pretty cheap.

Fonkie

Lil-Rokslider
This is an interesting subject & discussion with many different takes that all have valid points. Personally I fall into the “my wife & I make a good living but not rich by any stretch” category & “pinch my pennies to spend my dollars” when it comes to hunting & shooting. I don’t go or have what I want until I have the money saved.

A little note to the save everything for retirement & do without things & experiences crowd, be careful with that ideology. I watched my parents work tirelessly in their own business for most of their adult lives for retirement & the good years only to have my mother be taken by cancer before they could enjoy 1 day of “retirement “. There is a balance somewhere & the trick is to find yours.

howl

WKR
I can’t imagine wearing out a scope of decent quality in “several years” without abusing the heck out of it. Replace every few years because there is something newer/cooler? Sure. Heck, even the decades old glass on my “truck gun” that has been used and abused, including living in the cab of my road grader when I worked for the county for a decade is still bright, clear, and reliable as a hammer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We're probably expecting different levels of performance. I don't doubt it meets your expectations, but odds are I wouldn't hunt with your decades old scope because it isn't good enough for what I would do with it.

If you're pushing low light performance, your scope lost transmission and clarity just sitting there. The glass doesn't change, but coatings do as time passes. I don't spin turrets enough to wear one out, myself. Some people do. New scopes really are much better even if you don't consider improvement necessary.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
A little note to the save everything for retirement & do without things & experiences crowd, be careful with that ideology.

There's no reason why people can't do both. I've done pretty much everything I could ever dream of, but I've been saving since I was 12. I'm 54 now and have been pretty much retired for some time now.