Meat bags?

What are you using for meat bags between pack and frame thats light,breathes but also protects bag from blood etc.

Last edited:

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
What are you using for meat bags between pack and frame thats light,breathes but also protects bag from blood etc.
How's it going to breathe and keep blood from getting out? Don't over think this--use game bag put in trash bag for pack out--remove from trash bag as soon as possible

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

TheGDog

WKR
Kifaru's Meat Bags Rock! They're made outta tent-like material, and they are designed to hold the meat into a nice tall column shape that fits easily into your bag and prevents the meat from settling down into a blob like those Alaskan game bags do.

They're also pleasantly easy to get the meat into piece by piece while you're deboning. And after you stuff it in, ya just fold-over the opening again and it closes it off from having the flies and MeatBees try to get in there. That part I really liked. Those stretchy Alaskan Game Bags were a PITA in terms of putting in each new chunk of meat.

You're not going to completely have any meat bag not seep some. But theirs did really well on not seeping out of the closed bottom a whole lot at all. They've engineered them to facilitate hanging them up upside-down... cinched and tied-off up top... so you can try to let gravity drip the blood out if you were like in a hunting party and doing multi-day and not leaving yet. And they are crazy light! Like...I'd be surprised if they weighed much more than a Freezer sized ziploc!

Block

WKR
^^ I second the Kifaru game bags.. Iv packed out 3 different Deboned Mule deer with my (2 bags) without a leak. Have washed them each time after as well.

DJB

FNG
I really like the TAG Bags. Hauled a lot of deer and a couple elk out with them and they are still in great shape. Like stated above I would put them in a plastic bag for the haul out if your worried about blood on your pack.

I use the SG Load Cell quite a bit, but it will weep out some blood. I used the Kifaru meat bag as well and it leaked out blood inside of my pack back when I ran a Kifaru. I seam sealed that Kifaru meat bag, but haven't loaded it back up with meat since then. I had Rugged Stitches make me a custom meat hauling bag that should keep meat in and not leak any blood as well. I borrowed the design from Kevin Dill on here and it looks like a winner. It's tapered, so all of the meat doesn't end up in a big ball.

I use the SG Load Cell quite a bit, but it will weep out some blood. I used the Kifaru meat bag as well and it leaked out blood inside of my pack back when I ran a Kifaru. I seam sealed that Kifaru meat bag, but haven't loaded it back up with meat since then. I had Rugged Stitches make me a custom meat hauling bag that should keep meat in and not leak any blood as well. I borrowed the design from Kevin Dill on here and it looks like a winner. It's tapered, so all of the meat doesn't end up in a big ball.

I've had the same experience's with the load cell and Kifaru bags. I also attempted to seam seal the K bags, with little success, which is probably just a testament to my seam sealing ability. Anymore, I don't even attempt to keep everything contained inside a meat bag. I typically just load it up, strap it between the frame and main bag, and go. I've never been a fan of putting meat into something like a totally water tight plastic bag, especially for those multi day hike outs, that have the potential to be on the warm side. Nowadays I just keep the bone in, in regular (TAG), game bags, and use the load cell for the cape.

I've been using the alaska game bags forever. Not as durable as the others but they last several animals no problem and are cheap to replace. If you're worried about blood, just put them into a garbage bag for the pack out. I don't worry about the blood but if I have a garbage bag, and actually remember to use it, then I'll throw the quarters in that after putting them into game bags.

Wapiti1

WKR
I just use the game bag. My pack has a back panel that keeps blood off the suspension (Seek Outside). It's easy to wash off and the main bag is waterproof X-pac, so it absorbs nothing. Way easier to clean than my MR packs.

Jeremy

My wife made me a couple bags from silnylon, similar to the Kifaru bags, I had her do two sizes, one is big enough for elk back straps and short loins and the smaller holds the neck meat and miscellaneous bits. They’re about 24-30” tall, the small one is 5-6” wide and the large is another inch or two wide. They do leak some out of the seams but I haven’t tried to seam seal them yet. First use was a week or two ago and they sure beat having meat in a huge bag that squished out everywhere.