Meat care for hot weather

mabrams

FNG
We believe that we will be getting some landowner cow tags and we are concerned about aging meat in the warm weather. It’s getting into the 80’s and getting down in the 40’s. We like butchering our own so don’t want to take it to a butcher. Has anyone stored quarters in a refrigerator for 5+ days to let it age?

Gerbdog

WKR
Yup ive done that, if you have an extra fridge i'd get them set up in there. If you can find a way to hang them inside the fridge thats the best way, anything thats resting on the ground will get sloppy and gross as the blood heads to that location and there isn't any air to evaporate around it. Sometimes thats the only option and you sacrifice a little meat

Gerbdog

WKR
Never tried the crack on the door idea, long as they stay cool give it a try, just make sure no flies head in

Tmac

WKR
I’ve kept meat in that weather, mid-low 40’s, not high 40’s. First day, hang animal in shade. Next day get up 15 minutes earlier than normal while still cold. Wrap a sleeping bag around the carcass. Foot of bag at bottom zippered shut, head of bag duct taped shut at top, like putting on a sock a bit, basically make a cooler. Make sure it’s in the shade all day. Take bag off in evening chill and repeat the next morning. For an elk, may need two bags zipped together. Otherwise, I bone it out after one night of hanging, put the boned out cold meat in scent free garbage bags and stuff in a cooler kept stocked with ice. Never brought a refer, but may some time.

Jn78

Lil-Rokslider
I frequently keep my quarters in the fridge for five or more days. I don't leave the door to my fridge cracked. It works fine.

tdot

WKR
You can always freeze the meat, if necessary, and then age it later when conditions are suitable. I do that with most of my deer and my elk from this year has just finally frozen. The quarters wont come out to age for atleast another month or two.