Meat carrying day pack

I’m looking for a pack for a drop camp hunt in Colorado just need to carry the must haves for during the day and possibly pack meat if horses can’t get to it. Been looking at exo 2000 but not sure if I want to spend the cash

Cheapest option would be an ALICE or ILBE.

I have not packed meat with an ILBE but many claimed to have successfully.

I have backpacked with one (~30lb loads), and when adjusted properly, it is very comfortable. Got mine for $80.

Fatcamp

WKR
Mystery Ranch Scapegoat 35 in the classifieds for $180. I think that would work well. And affordable.

My wife has the 25 and I wouldn't hesitate to put 50# in it. 35 is a good step up.

I use the exo system. I hunt a lot of times with the 2000 bag. It was definitely worth the money to me. Most any pack you can get by with 50# in. Once you start talking about hauling elk it's not uncommon to be over 80#. As I have gotten older I am putting more of a premium on my comfort. You want a good pack when your getting loads past 75#. Also over 100# seems to suck no matter what.

Watch classified section and pick up something used (get your post count up). Or most of the companies will send you a pack and if you don't like it and it's still like new they will return it.

Hard to say what pack is best for someone as everyone is different. Each pack fits a little different. I tried kifaru, exo, sg, and hpg packs. For me the most comfortable was the hpg, but it was the one most limited on capacity. I didn't feel like they had a good way of attaching quarters to the pack. The exo was the next best for me, and their system has all kinds of options. Everyone is different, try to find a pack that suits your build.

I love my Kuiu ultra pack. Probably the lightest option that can still pack out an animal. Very comfortable as a day pack and does well backpacking with larger bags. 3000 is perfect for day pack size I think. I’ve packed out 10+deer with it and never had an issue, including a mature mule deer bone in quarters, straps, neck meat, head. Some of the other options may be more comfortable with a heavy load but the Kuiu gets it done just fine and saves you weight.

lonedave

WKR
I'm with willfrye027 as I use my Ultra 3000 as a day pack too, though I've only carried one mule deer buck out with it. Looking at the new offerings from Kuiu, either the Ultra 2200 or slightly heavier Icon Pro 2200 should work pretty well for you.

mcseal2

WKR
I'd go Exo 3500. I love mine. I like the layout of the bag better than the 2000. I had a 2000 bag but sold it. I really like the long side pockets on the 3500. They hold my spotter and tripod most times, but can hold my rifle also. I can put the rifle in one of those pockets packing meat and have both hands free for trekking poles.

prm

WKR
MR Mule.

It’s a really nice day pack, and a surprisingly solid hauler.