Meat Dreams

mhabiger

FNG
On Saturday night I had a hell of a nightmare, woke up sweating bullets thinking the devil was surely playing with my mind. In my dream it was early June and a group of friends are coming over that night for dinner. I walk down that morning to the freezer to pull out some elk roasts. My plan is to make some elk barbacoa for tacos...I can literally smell the meat cooking in my dream. I open my freezer and it's almost completely empty except for some broccoli and a package of beef liver. I straight panic, run upstairs and ask my wife what happened to all the meat? She says as a matter of fact that I didn't kill enough to last us the year.

Terrible dream that no doubt was brought on by a freezer inventory I did Saturday. Here is what I've got left:
  • 3 pkgs of elk brats
  • 2 elk roasts
  • 1 whitetail hindquarter
  • 6 pkgs hamburger
  • 1 pkg ribeye
  • 1 pkg round steak
  • 1 pkg beef liver
I have half a cow coming after labor day but a man really ought not get so low on meat, does strange things to the mind. Anybody else have meat dreams? How's your meat inventory?

Meat Dreams sounds like a female-friendly erotic film. But in relation to freezer meat inventory, it goes in waves depending on when we get a half or quarter of beef relative to hunting successes (or lack there of). I get a little nervous when the chest freezer is less than half full. Like you said, the mind starts to ponder all the what-ifs!

ODB

WKR
Meat dreams? Never.

Last night I dreamt I was with joe Biden and he was having a stroke and no one else noticed. Speech stopped, drooling, facial paralysis, the whole bit. Couldn’t figure out whether I should call 911 or let the secret service do it. Then noticed the secret service wasn’t there so had to call myself.

but no, never a meat dream.

Meat dreams? Never.

Last night I dreamt I was with joe Biden and he was having a stroke and no one else noticed. Speech stopped, drooling, facial paralysis, the whole bit. Couldn’t figure out whether I should call 911 or let the secret service do it. Then noticed the secret service wasn’t there so had to call myself.

but no, never a meat dream.
That was just a flashback to his last public appearance...

I have the opposite problem as the OP. Our freezer is stacked. If I kill anything soon, I'll have to buy another... And more importantly, find an outlet for it.

I've got an entire whitetail that I got with the truck, several large elk roasts, 20+-lb burger, 35lb halibut, some salmon, a few ducks, a turkey, and some shanks that need to become bone broth.

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
I was just thinking about doing inventory in my freezers. I am sitting pretty with the following:

Freezer #1 Elk, Mule Deer, Whitetail, Antelope, Black Bear, Pheasant and Quail.
Freezer #2 King & Coho Salmon, Halibut, Rock bass, Lingcod and little Walleye. Also a few Spot Prawns left.

I don't think I have a ton of any one specie left, but I am feeling good right before hunting season.

OP
mhabiger

mhabiger

FNG
I have the opposite problem as the OP. Our freezer is stacked. If I kill anything soon, I'll have to buy another... And more importantly, find an outlet for it.

I've got an entire whitetail that I got with the truck, several large elk roasts, 20+-lb burger, 35lb halibut, some salmon, a few ducks, a turkey, and some shanks that need to become bone broth.

That is pretty solid meat diversity. I need to start fishing a little harder and get some catfish and crappie stocked up.

WCB

WKR
I have about 30lbs I would guess of roasts, scraps, etc. 1 entire buck backstrap left also. I'm bring probably 20lbs in to the processor for summer sausage, snack sticks, etc. this week I will give a bit of this away to family and the one landowner that lets me hunt. Going to try my hand at 10lbs or so of Jerky also.

I am right where I want to be. We go through about 6 deer a year plus ducks, geese, grouse and other misc animals. If my freezer is getting "empty" just means I have room to fill tags this fall. Never understood guys that have wild game left over for much more than a year. Only stuff I have that old is canned venison.

have probably 3 gallon bags full of pan fish and walleye, plus sorted Alaskan Salmon.