Meat grinders?

Anyone process there own meet? If so what kind of meat grinders do you use? Anyone use the cabelas commercial meat grinder? Reason asking is pops wants one for Xmas and were tired of paying the local butchers for sticks and other ground up are games we cut it ourselves and everything just the grinder missing is our issue lol anyways just wanted to see everyone's input and good info as always thanks?

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
I use one with great results, after loaning it to a buddy, he went out and bought one. I think they are great. I saw Sportsmans warehouse and scheels has one similar, you might want to shop around if your old man doesn't care about the green c on the front.

I've got the 1hp Cabelas grinder. Owned if for about 6 years and between myself and my buddies we have put a couple dozen moose and caribou through it with zero issues.

Yk

I have a LEM .35hp I use. We mainly do whitetail and waterfowl with it, but It'll do elk as well. Works great for small scale operations. If I was doing moose I'd want larger, just for the sheer time it would take to grind a damn moose!

Lawnboi

WKR
We have one of the big cabelas ones, cant remember the hp right now. Works great, its amazing how much more enjoyable and sometimes bearable processing your own meat is when you have good equipment.

weaver

WKR
We have the 1hp one from cabelas. Plenty big enough and works great. Even the 3/4 or 1/2hp models work better then most others imo.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I bought the Camp Chef 1.35 horsepower/100 watt rated at 2.6 pounds per minute in 2008.

It's been a good grinder and I've had no problems. I've put 5 or 6 bucks through it so far. I grind twice, course then fine, so really 10 plus bucks.

I'd buy more horsepower than you think you need if it fits the budget.

The great thing about grinders is they pay for themselves. If you spend a little more, you will likely get that money back, too.

OP
cali_hornhunter
Thanks for all the great input keep it coming I like what I hear looks I'm leaning towards the cabelas 1hp which I think I'm gonna go with dad knows a guy that has one and can't stop raving about it so I think I'm gonna go with it

sab

Lil-Rokslider
I guess I'm old-fashioned. I process 3-4 deer a year in a #32 hand-crank grinder. Works fine, as long as I start with frozen meat (it keeps the fat and sinew from clogging the plate/knife). It's good exercise, too!

I thought about buying a motorized grinder, but unless I ramp up to a dozen deer a year, I just don't find it necessary.

Regards,
Scott